Riskware found in a Malwarebytes folder?

Go to solution Solved by kevinf80,

I can't get a hold of the file. As soon as I try quarantining it it doesn't appear in the Quarantine List, nor is it there when I reboot the system. The tmp folder never has any files shown throughout the scan and after, either.

That said, I did find a forum thread that seems to document similar experiences.

It is worth noting that this detection only occurs if I configured a scan (which is what I had been doing here) to have the entire C:\ drive scanned w/ all scanning options enabled, including rootkits. 

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why I should. 

The whole thread was about determining if that Riskware was a false positive, and it was. And I managed to complete a full MB scan otherwise.

My computer works fine. I think having MB are Windows Defender are enough, though AdwCleaner and the Safety Scanner are nice. But that's too many programs on my plate. Even if I go to download Sophos, it's asking me for my info like I'm a potential customer. I'm not. I just wanted to have possible malware dealt with, and as far as I can tell when looking up details online, it isn't going to be as sufficient as the combination of MB and Defender anyway.

Hiya rumptybum,

Yes I totally agree with you regarding your security setup. Also yes a FP was suggested with the result of your custom scan with rootkits enabled. I`m not an Malwarebytes employee and work here on a voluntary basis. Problem for me is not being able to replicate your problem, i`ve tried running custom scans similar to what you`ve done with rootkit option enabled and nothing is found..

I just want to be totally sure with a Sophos scan that your system is definitely clean. Obviously the choice to run the scan or not is totally up to you. Any tools I recommend for you to use are only temporary and I always give clean up instructions when we are done...

If you prefer not running a scan with Sophos then that is fine with me....

Regards,

Kevin...

Hiya rumptybum,

As you`re ok to close out we can remove FRST, continue:

Right click on FRST here: C:\Users\RyanSil\Downloads\FRST.exe or FRST64.exe and rename uninstall.exe when complete right click on uninstall.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

If you do not see the .exe appended that is because file extensions are hidden, in that case just rename FRST or FRST64 to uninstall

That action will remove FRST and all created files and folders...

Next,

Condsider the following:

Malwarebytes Browser Guard (Free) for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Malwarebytes Browser Guard (Free) for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes-browser-guar/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

PatchMyPC, keep all your software upto date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

From there you should be good to go...

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you