When searching things on google.com, i get Trojan alert for addedprint.com

Xehon
Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi !
Since 2 or 3 days, i get an alert from Malwarebyte about a Trojan coming from addedprint.com.

I've followed all the steps from the first answer of this post but it didn't help :

I've then downoaded Farbar and executed scan.
Can i send you the logs in private (frst.txt & addition.txt) ?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,     :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 5 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

You can put the report files in a ZIP file and then attach in reply.

Along with that, you need to mention which web browser is being in-use when you see those messages ?

and, if you are clicking from a list of presented search results ?   and if that is a search on "Google.com"  ?

Also, have you scanned the system with Malwarebytes for Windows ?

I also need a definite indication if the warning message comes from Malwarebytes itself ?  or else, from what ?

Thanks for this quick reply !
You will find the archive attached to this message.

This alert appear on Google Chrome browser and when searching on google.com.
It appear everytime i search something, whatever the word, when the SERP is appearing (not when clicking).

I've done a full scan with Malwarebyte and it didn't find any malware.
These alerts come from Malwarebyte Itself, as tou can see in the attached picture.

I've then done a scan with ADWcleaner, as mentionned on the other post i've embed in my previous message, this software found 10 threats and cleaned them.
One is still in quarantine, you will find the logs in the attached files too.

I'm staying available if you need.

mwb.JPG

frst.zip adwcleaner-logs.zip

• Solution

Good morning.  Thank you for the reports. I did not see mention of "addedprint" there in the FRST reports.

However, I found several mentions to abandonedinstall that are tied to Chrome and are in tasks on this system.  These will be a part of the cleanup below.

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   This custom script is for  XEHON     only / for this machine only.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The  custom Fix script is going to be used by the FRST64  tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the  Downloads folder

The tool named FRST64 .exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRST64.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Do let me know how things are overall,  after all this.

NOTE:  The real-time Web protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows is keeping your machine safe from potential harm.

The Malwarebytes for Windows Premium has multiple real-time protections.

Fixlist.txt

Ok i've executed the script and everything worked fine.
It tooks around 15 minutes to finish, computer rebooted correctly.

I've tried several search on google.com and i didn't get any alert about addedprint.com so it's a BIG improvement ^^.

I'll keep looking at my searches on Google on the next day to inform you if everything is fine but i have good hope on this resolution.

Thanks for your help !

Hello.  I am very glad to read this good news.  Please arrange to send / attach the log-file named "Fixlog.txt"   which will be on Downloads folder.

Also, please do a new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows, and let me know the result.  If it flags something, please send the Scan report as well.

Thanks for the Fixlog report.

[   1   ]

Use Chrome browser   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[   2   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[   3   ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

image.png.bc3ae346cebdb1004e3c51ad44feb000.png

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[   4   ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[   5   ]

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[   6    ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thank you for the Adwcleaner report.  No malicious items were found.

I would appreciate  getting additional details from this machine in order to help you forward.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file

Double-click mb-support-1.8.3.885.exe  to run the report

Once it starts, you will see a first screen with 2 buttons.  Click the one on the left marked "I don't have an open support ticket".

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next

Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK.  Then Exit the tool.

Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

• Root Admin

Hello @Xehon

I will assist you while @Maurice Naggar is away.

Let me have you do one more round of clean-up with the following FIX file.

Save the attached file as before in the same location as FRST and then click the FIX button.

fixlist.txt

Once that fix has completed please temporarily disable your Avast antivirus and run the following scanner from Microsoft.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Please let me know the results of this scan.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your next reply.

Thank you

Hello, 
i didn't get any addedprint nofitication since about 1 week but i still didn't synchronised again my google account on my google chrome yet.

On firsts posts of this thread, after doing first scans recommended by Maurice, addedprint notification disappeared for some days until i reactivate Google Synchronisation.
Do you think this will happen again if i synchronise google again ? Should i try to synchronise the account to check if this malware comes back ? 

About my reply of February 22  point # 5 Did you install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Chrome ?  That will help you a lot. It will have direct protection on Chrome to keep it safer from dodgy sites.

You need to continue to practice safe click habits any time you use any search engine.  Results from any search are not guaranteed to be safe when on Google or Yahoo nor any other search engine.

Google sync is optional. If you do use it, just be careful what you Click.  Always hover your mouse over the link to see the link address.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am glad to have worked with you.  

We can proceed with cleanup of tools we used.

To remove the FRST  tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .

Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Delete msert.exe

Any other download file we  had you download, you may delete.  

I wish you all the best.  Stay safe.   😎

Sincerely.

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you