Unable to contact license server

Hi, 

I have a life time license.  When I try to open Malwarebytes it tells me "Unable to contact license server".

I have ran the support tool and tried the "clean" option.  I uninstalled then re-installed Malwarebytes.

It seemed like it fixed my problem, but then two days later I'm getting the "Unable to contact server" again.

Please help.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Just now, Porthos said:

Based on this post, I will ask @AdvancedSetup to assist you. Sorry you do not wish for me to assist further.

Thank you :) 

It's not that I don't wan't your help.   I'll take any help I can get to fix this issue.  

I tried what you recommended the first time, and then replied that it didn't fix my problem.

• Root Admin

Hello @CommonCurt

The logs show multiple different issues in the Event Logs. Let's do a bit of clean up and see if that corrects the issue.

Please open an elevated admin command prompt and type in or copy paste the following.

ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F

Then restart the computer.

Then open another elevated admin command prompt and type in the following

sfc  /scannow

Let me know what the message says from the SFC command

Thanks

39 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @CommonCurt

The logs show multiple different issues in the Event Logs. Let's do a bit of clean up and see if that corrects the issue.

Please open an elevated admin command prompt and type in or copy paste the following.

ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F

Then restart the computer.

Then open another elevated admin command prompt and type in the following

sfc  /scannow

Let me know what the message says from the SFC command

Thanks

Thanks.

After trying the first command it said: cannot run disk in use, would you like to run on next restart Y/N.   When I typed in Y and pressed enter it said not a valid command.

I then restarted the computer, and ran sfc /scannow, and it says: Did not find any integrity violations.

• Root Admin

If you copy/paste the entry it will automatically answer yes for you.

Did the disk check run?

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

CHKDSKResults.txt file will be created on your desktop, that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Please upload that file on your next reply

20 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If you copy/paste the entry it will automatically answer yes for you.

Did the disk check run?

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

CHKDSKResults.txt file will be created on your desktop, that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Please upload that file on your next reply

Okay got it.

CHKDSKResults.txt

23 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please try to do a clean removal and reinstall using our MBST tool

image.png

Like I mentioned in my first post.  I did that before starting this thread.

After it re-installed it seemed fixed for 2 days then the problem started again.

Are you saying that you want me to do it again?

• Root Admin

I don't see a specific reason why it would not run. That leads me to believe that something odd is going on. I see errors in the Event Logs but was hoping a clean install might correct it.

You could also try using the Google Public DNS temporarily to see if that helps correct the issue. If neither of those options correct the issue then I can write a generic clean up and maintenance script to see if that corrects it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If neither of those corrects the issue let me know and I'll write a script for you to run

Thanks @CommonCurt

20 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I don't see a specific reason why it would not run. That leads me to believe that something odd is going on. I see errors in the Event Logs but was hoping a clean install might correct it.

You could also try using the Google Public DNS temporarily to see if that helps correct the issue. If neither of those options correct the issue then I can write a generic clean up and maintenance script to see if that corrects it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If neither of those corrects the issue let me know and I'll write a script for you to run

Thanks @CommonCurt

I have tried, both of those things.   I'll probably try them one more time just in case.

I'm all for trying that clean up maintenance script to see if it helps.  Please go ahead and send it to me.

• Root Admin

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks