Is Malwarebytes working

• Staff

A Windows executable is not able to infect your Mac, and Malwarebytes for Mac will not scan for them. I'm not sure why you say that file is malware, or whether that is an accurate assessment, but your Mac has absolutely not been infected by that either way. If you have a CSRSS.exe file on your Mac and don't want it to be there, all that is needed is to drag it to the trash.

Note that CSRSS.exe is the name of a legitimate component of Windows.

What leads you to believe this file has infected your Mac?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, phillymarc1 said:

I think I mistakenly gave control of my computer to a hacker.

Was this physical access to your computer or did they ask you to download something to give the access? If the latter, do you recall what you downloaded or from where? Can you post a screen-shot of the message you are seeing about your screen being observed?

Edited by alvarnell

If you don't recall having downloaded anything, the first thing to do is launch System Preferences from your /Applications folder and click on the "Sharing" pref. Now disable any Service that is checked as On. Let us know of any that were on.

And yes, if you get a new note post that.

Edited by alvarnell

9 hours ago, alvarnell said:

If you don't recall having downloaded anything, the first thing to do is launch System Preferences from your /Applications folder and click on the "Sharing" pref. Now disable any Service that is checked as On. Let us know of any that were on.

And yes, if you get a new note post that.

Thank you for constant communication.

I'm on a Mac Book Pro. I went into Systems Preferences but did not find "Sharing".

I did look at other areas and found Bash in both Accessibility and Screen Recording which I turned off. 

I also found that Firewall is off.

So my questions:

1) Should I be looking for some other form or category regarding Systems Preferences

2) Should I leave Bash off or turn it back on.

3) Is it correct for the Firewall to be off.

4) Any additional thoughts?

Thank you

Please look again as there has always been a "Sharing" preference in System Preferences, regardless of whatever macOS system you are running. It is the single most important setting site in your particular situation right now!

If you still use bash as your preferred Terminal language (the default was changed to zsh recently) then I suspect those settings should be turned back on.

I know the Firewall used to default to off and there is some thinking that it is redundant to the firewall on your router, but I turned mine on several years ago as I see no harm in using it.

• Thanks 1