Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension 2.2.18 blocks Facebook Contacts

Go to solution Solved by gatortail,

Seems to be intermittent on my PCs all running Widows 7 Home Premium x64 and using Firefox 85.0.2. Not tested on Chrome as yet. Also have F.B. Purity and Revert Site installed - the latter is running disabled.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Pierre75 said:

Seems to be intermittent on my PCs all running Widows 7 Home Premium x64 and using Firefox 85.0.2. Not tested on Chrome as yet. Also have F.B. Purity and Revert Site installed - the latter is running disabled.

Hope this helps.

Read page one of this post,  the staff is working on it.... please keep them posted - cheers ! 

• Thanks 1
On 2/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, Pierre75 said:

Hope this helps.

Just an update. FB now runs clean on all PCs in both Firefox and Google Chrome with no errors - it looks the same now with with Contact list and followed by Group. Note that F.B. Purity and Revert Site are installed as in previous post.

Still no Contact List on FB?  On two computers with Windows 7 (SP1) x 64  (only way to get that contact list back is to shut off MWG)  (running google chrome)

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by yardbird
screenshot attached

@yardbird
Yea, as Gonzo said Friday, version 2.2.20 will be released this week, so I did not do much troubleshooting this weekend.

I checked FB throughout the day to see if any changes:  Early AM, Contacts & Groups List were there, Sponsors List missing.
Lunch time, Only Groups List was present.  Just now, Contacts & Groups List were there, Sponsors List missing.

No changes, no reboots, no patching done today.
I really am glad that the Sponsors List is missing.  1 less FB ad crap to see.

Note:  On Saturday, I did make sure that Flash Player was uninstalled, even though browsers don't support it anymore.  I also uninstalled Java, as I haven't used it in over 6 months.  These had no impact on this issue, but I was just "cleaning up" my laptop.

3 hours ago, mhunter392 said:

@yardbird
Yea, as Gonzo said Friday, version 2.2.20 will be released this week, so I did not do much troubleshooting this weekend.

I checked FB throughout the day to see if any changes:  Early AM, Contacts & Groups List were there, Sponsors List missing.
Lunch time, Only Groups List was present.  Just now, Contacts & Groups List were there, Sponsors List missing.

No changes, no reboots, no patching done today.
I really am glad that the Sponsors List is missing.  1 less FB ad crap to see.

Note:  On Saturday, I did make sure that Flash Player was uninstalled, even though browsers don't support it anymore.  I also uninstalled Java, as I haven't used it in over 6 months.  These had no impact on this issue, but I was just "cleaning up" my laptop.

I saw gonzo's post.. Still No Contacts for me... (on 2 computers)  &  I also forgot about gonzo's post.

thx. for the reminder. Still google chrome is Version 88.0.4324.150 is up to date.  later

For my 2 cents worth.  Been trying everything to fix this "no contacts list" for days thinking it was a Vivaldi issue until I turned off all extensions and when Malwarebytes Browser Guard was activated the issue would return.  After seeing these post I noticed I had an Facebook sign-in option of switching users (didn't know that) but when I switched to my wife's Facebook the issue wasn't created.  Switched back and my contacts were missing again.  Immediately suspected some page layout or feature I may have played with but couldn't find anything that would affect the issue.  Will wait until 2.20 is released before testing any further.

Just an update only. As I live in Australia FB has upset the apple cart by switching off heaps of commercial posters. This means at this stage till they settle their argument with our federal government the application looks a bit sick here.

A bit hard to troubleshoot for now, sorry about that. 😒

• Like 1

Update to my report of this problem on the 17th.

I re-enabled my browser guard intending to turn it off when I was going into Facebook.  Forgot to do that this morning and I noticed in "Share" option of Facebook that it now had an option of "Share now (Custom)" which didn't recognize so I used another option.

Anyway I then noticed that my Contacts list was displayed as usual.  I was concerned that I had left the browser guard disabled but it showed the normal blue M icon.  I double checked and it was on with Facebooks loaded and all protections enabled.  I checked the guard version and it was still on V 2.2.18 and had not Vivaldi updates or Windows.  Perhaps Facebook has been rolling out changes (Custom share?) and I got the changes.

• Like 1

Latest an update only - hot of the press. FB has agreed to restore all News & Commercial sites on their Australian site. This will occur over the next weak or so. This was a joint announcement made by FB and Australian Federal Government.

I will await until this has occurred and post again. 👍

• Like 1

Just an FYI.... My contacts are back ??  10AM    nice work. will keep you posted see how long it lasts..... thx.  (off to work)

EDIT:  Contacts gone today?  Wed. (just an FYI, I know, your pushing for Thursday) regards.....

Edited by yardbird

@gatortail, version 2.2.20 has fixed the Chrome Browser. TU 👍 However the Firefox Browser which has version 2.2.19 is still playing up as before. Friends show for a few frames but then Groups take over. Restart of PC fixes it but not for long.

Fixes applied to 3 PCs running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

@gatortail

@gonzo

- checked on latest Chrome Version 88.0.4324.190 (Official Build) (64-bit) : 
All looks correct, to include the Right Pane.  The Contacts and Sponsored sections are back since last night.  I have checked several times, to insure it wasn't a temporary solution.
image.png.a260c29dca243929e4e264fb6fe33380.png

- checked on latest Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.81 (Official build) (64-bit):
All looks correct, in the Right Pane.  The Contacts section is back since last night.  The Sponsored section is missing, however, I am really fine with that not being shown.

Thank you all for your work.
As for me, I am fine with closing this issue.
Have a great weekend & Be Well & Be Safe !
Michael

• Like 1
  • Staff
2 hours ago, Pierre75 said:

@gatortail, version 2.2.20 has fixed the Chrome Browser. TU 👍 However the Firefox Browser which has version 2.2.19 is still playing up as before. Friends show for a few frames but then Groups take over. Restart of PC fixes it but not for long.

Fixes applied to 3 PCs running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

We will release v2.2.20 to Firefox later today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1