• Staff

Greetings,

No, unfortunately Malwarebytes does not currently offer .OVPN files for connecting to Malwarebytes Privacy.  Please refer to this topic where it was stated that Malwarebytes' focus is on the WireGuard protocol.

If there is anything else we might help with please let us know.

Thanks

Edited by exile360
Corrected typo

My apologies, I didn't see that this question had already been asked after a quick search.

As far as the answer, what does that mean--focus on the WireGuard protocol?  Does that imply that Privacy code will not support .OVPN file configuration? Or that it cannot support .OVPN while using that particular connection method?

If these two threads need to be merged since the topic is the same, please do so.

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm glad to help.

I'm not sure as I'm not on the Product team for Privacy nor am I one of the Developers, however I took it to mean that they are just focused on using the WireGuard protocol at the moment, not necessarily that .OVPN is an impossibility for any technical reasons, though I concede to anyone on the team should they chime in to clarify.

There's no need to merge the two threads; folks ask the same questions as one another quite frequently, I just linked to the other thread as a reference since the response came from an authoritative source on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping I'm not necroing a topic here, but I have taken notice that OpenWRT does support the Wireguard protocol. While a little "nice to have" .OVPN configuration files aren't really needed as Wireguard just creates a new network interface, making it a little less of a hassle to set-up. Short of a walkthrough I imagine it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to have it work through there.

• 1 month later...

I was looking into this issue as I have only my main computer MB P protected but really need to cover my local network.

I have a netgear nighthawk x10 7200.   It will accept a vpn.

In study I found this article.

If I understand it correctly all the router needs is the location of MB privacy.

Going to take a closer look at it and may give it a try unless MB tells me it doesn't work that way.

https://kb.netgear.com/24319/How-do-I-use-a-VPN-on-my-Nighthawk-router-to-access-my-internet-service-at-home

My guess the issue here is how can you enforce a device limit license on a router. The VPN is sold for example 5 devices and you put it on the router then dozens of devices are protected without purchasing other licenses.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, Porthos said:

My guess the issue here is how can you enforce a device limit license on a router. The VPN is sold for example 5 devices and you put it on the router then dozens of devices are protected without purchasing other licenses.

Well, yes, when you install as a service on the router, there is no device limit.  That's the reason to put it on the router--to enable coverage for ALL clients on the network easily, as Fueler also referred to.

I know that both ExpressVPN and NordVPN, two well-known competitors, both offer extensive support to enable this feature.  I would hope that licensing isn't the holdup here.