Suspicious download alert HRBlock

cbitner

hxxps://camry-webapi.azurewebsites.net/api/retail/2021/download/...

- the path hosting the 2020 version of the tax software - generated a "Website blocked due to suspicious download" alert. Against my better judgement, I chose to continue to the site. My PC froze, causing me to do a hard shutdown and malware scan before proceeding any further.

I ran both the download link and the installer file I subsequently downloaded through the scanner at virustotal.com. Both came up clean. I confirmed that HRBlock is the source of the link. Perhaps it's HRBlock.com's fault and they need better procedures, but this alert threw me for a loop.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled live link

• Staff

I am assuming that you are using Browser Guard.  Correct?  If so, the suspicious download block is because the file you attempted to download is an executable.  Did you have to purchase the software you downloaded, or was it a freebie?  I need something to work with, and the partial link you provided does not provide enough.

• Staff

4 hours ago, cbitner said:

hxxps://camry-webapi.azurewebsites.net/api/retail/2021/download/... 

- the path hosting the 2020 version of the tax software - generated a "Website blocked due to suspicious download" alert. Against my better judgement, I chose to continue to the site. My PC froze, causing me to do a hard shutdown and malware scan before proceeding any further.

I ran both the download link and the installer file I subsequently downloaded through the scanner at virustotal.com. Both came up clean. I confirmed that HRBlock is the source of the link. Perhaps it's HRBlock.com's fault and they need better procedures, but this alert threw me for a loop.

Hello-

We do not have this domain in our database to block. Was it as mentioned, a Browser Guard block?

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed live hyperlink

Just attempted download of HR Block Fed and State 2020. As I was attempting to download the program to launch the install the following screen popped up:

image.thumb.png.9c83f651fa04760eb3ca0f52d73466f3.png

Figured I would stop and see if this helped any. I went to the HR Block site, but did not see anything mentioned. Thanks for the review and any suggestions.

Gib Gahan

Just attempted download of HR Block Fed and State 2020. As I was attempting to download the program to launch the install the following screen popped up:

image.thumb.png.9c83f651fa04760eb3ca0f52d73466f3.png

Figured I would stop and see if this helped any. I went to the HR Block site, but did not see anything mentioned. Thanks for the review and any suggestions.

Gib Gahan

• Staff

I just added a whitelist entry which I hope will take care of the issue.  I use the word "hope" because I presume you have paid for that product (you did not answer that question when asked earlier), and I am afraid that attempting to download it may negate your ability to do so once the whitelist takes effect.

Please allow 15-30 minutes for changes to take effect.

Yes, I did purchase it from Newegg. After updating and a clean scan I went ahead and allowed the programs to run. The actual install took several restarts, but finally worked. I believe that some of the issues also came from turning on the rootkit protection in Windows Defender.  I was thrown off when I saw the Malwarebytes warning popup. Once I cleared the programs to access the protected folders, it installed, slowly. Just worried that others might see the warnings popup and panic more than I did. 

Thank you for your quick response and help for others.

Gib Gahan

• Staff

Thank you for your response.  I am thanking the gods of Skype for allowing me to have a free 2-hour conversation with a friend in New Zealand, so I am still here.  Many users blindly download, and suffer the consequences of doing so.  We block some downloads of executable files while allowing most others, and intervene with testing when needed to assure a more secure user experience.  That source is now considered safe.  I'm glad you got what you needed.