New BSOD: netio.sys

Hello,

I recently started having BSODs at least once per day and the reported file is always netio.sys. I have updated to the latest windows version 20H2 19042.746 as well as MB4.3.0.98 (update 1.0.36495 / component 1.0.1157) which did not fix the problem. I had to disable my daily scan schedule as I noticed the BSOD was happening around that time but it is too early to tell if this helped (plus, this is not a permanent solution anyway).

Unfortunately I cannot provide logs or install beta versions on this production machine so I have to wait for the final released version, but from what I read in your posts the various BSOD fixes were not related to netio.sys anyway. Any fixes up to 4.3.0.98 / 1.0.1157 did not help.

Could you guys investigate netio.sys BSODs please, it is making my production PC unreliable. Also if anyone else has noticed any BSOD with netio.sys I would be grateful if you could report it here or in a new thread.

Thank you

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Unfortunately, without diagnostic logs and the memory dumps from the crashes, there probably isn't much that QA and the Developers can do to try and replicate and fix the issue.  That said, if you are not comfortable posting logs and memory dumps publicly, you can instead submit them to Malwarebytes Support directly by creating a support ticket.  To do so, please fill out the web form on this page and they will work with you directly via email.

In the meantime I will report the issue to the Product team, however as mentioned, it is very unlikely they'll be able to do much about it without the memory dumps at least, especially since, at least so far, I know of no other users who have reported this issue which indicates that whatever the problem is, it may be due to some software or hardware configuration which isn't as common as those which led to past BSODs.

I would also recommend reviewing the information in this support article which indicates some known issues with some third party security tools, though keep in mind that the list of incompatible applications is not comprehensive and I know of several which are not listed in that support article currently so such a conflict may still be the cause of the issue even if you have none of the listed applications installed on your system.

I hope this helps and that the issue will be resolved somehow and I hope that you will be able to work with the staff to find a solution to the issue.

Thanks

11 hours ago, IanWorthington said:

Last week I started getting several BSODs a day.

Did you happen to see (in the BSOD) which file caused the problem? Windows reports the file that crashed in the blue screen.

Just wanted to know if it is one of the known ones (that are supposed to be fixed) or a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 7 pro,  Malwarebytes 4.3.0.98 update 1.0.37125 update package version  1.0.1173 component package  causing BSOD multiple times a day.  Netio.sys,  MBAMService.ex , mwac.sys.   Disabled all of MB in it's control panel and the problem has ceased to occur.   I'm wondering why MB didn't send out a warning.   I'm wondering why I'm paying for this.

1 hour ago, dbritton said:

Windows 7 pro,  Malwarebytes 4.3.0.98 update 1.0.37125 update package version  1.0.1173 component package  causing BSOD multiple times a day.  Netio.sys,  MBAMService.ex , mwac.sys.   Disabled all of MB in it's control panel and the problem has ceased to occur.   I'm wondering why MB didn't send out a warning.   I'm wondering why I'm paying for this.

We are happy to assist with your issue.

Can you please collect and upload as an attachment the diagnostic data using our MBST?

• Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  • Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Hello @dbritton

Can you please send us the following dump files from your system: This will help us get to the bottom of the issue.

C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-10998-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14929-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14851-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14944-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14866-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020821-14679-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14492-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-18127-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-18127-01.txt 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14586-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14523-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP                   

You could use a service like wetransfer to send us the dump files .

Also can you also please try to temporarily disable the Pulse Secure software and let us know if you still encounter the BSOD's?

Thank you and we are sorry you are running into issues.

as requested.  Note MEMORY.DMP was too large for your site.

7 minutes ago, nikhils said:

Hello @dbritton

Can you please send us the following dump files from your system: This will help us get to the bottom of the issue.

C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-10998-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14929-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14851-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14944-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020421-14866-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020821-14679-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14492-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-18127-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-18127-01.txt 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14586-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\Minidump\020921-14523-01.dmp 
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP                   

You could use a service like wetransfer to send us the dump files .

Also can you also please try to temporarily disable the Pulse Secure software and let us know if you still encounter the BSOD's?

Thank you and we are sorry you are running into issues.

020421-10998-01.dmp 020421-14851-01.dmp 020421-14866-01.dmp 020421-14929-01.dmp 020421-14944-01.dmp 020821-14679-01.dmp 020921-14492-01.dmp 020921-14523-01.dmp 020921-14586-01.dmp 020921-18127-01.dmp 061020-10561-01.dmp

• Root Admin

There is nothing to sign up for @dbritton - that is the beauty of using the WeTransfer link method. No sign-up at all.

Upload File(s) to WeTransfer:

• Visit WeTransfer.com
  • Click on I Agree

image.png

• Click on Manage Cookies

image.png

• Uncheck all the cookies and other Ad settings

image.png

• Click the triple dots for more options

image.png

• Select the Link option "Get transfer link" - then click the Message and enter a message.

image.png

• Click on +Add Files - Browse to the location of the file and double-click on it or click once on it and select Open

image.png

• Click on Get a link to send the file and get the link to post back

image.png

• Once the transfer completes, click on Copy link

image.png

• Once you receive the Copied! message please save in notepad so you can post the link into your next reply

Hello @dbritton

We now have a new beta which should hopefully fix the BSOD.

The Component update version 1.0.1191.

Please refer the following article: 

Please try it out and let us know if you still continue to see the BSOD's after the update.

Thank you and regards,

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Windows 7

Netio.sys   BSOD's as well..  Thu Feb 25 and today Friday Feb 26

I had similar BSOD's Feb 11 and Feb 12 but -as per settings then the system rebooted itself before I had chance to view error message.

This time I do have the error messages: Netio.sys

Malwarebytes Premium: 4.3.0.98 Component Package Version: 1.0.1173

I would like to try to disable MB web protection to see if this stops BSOD's

Would the Firefox add-on in lieu of the software web protection do the job more or less. And would this be good way to test if MB is in fact causing these BSOD's?

Kindly let me know if you are looking into this issue and when a fix in terms of an update might be forthcoming?

Eliuri

Windows 7

Malwarebytes Premium: 4.3.0.98 Component Package Version: 1.0.1173

Greetings,

A new beta, Component Packate Version 1.0.1191 is available which will likely correct the issue.  If you wish to try it, please open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then enable beta updates under the General tab then return to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button to have it download and install the new build.

Once that is done restart the system and test to verify that the BSOD no longer occurs.

If you do decide to test the beta, please let us know how it goes and whether or not you continue to see the BSODs.

Thanks

I don't know for certain, but based on past recent betas I don't expect it to take too long before it is released.

As for reservations about the beta, I'd actually suggest that you'd be better off running it vs the stable release since the current release is known to be a likely cause of BSODs on your system so the possibilities with the beta are essentially A) it fixes the BSOD, in which case you're definitely better off with the beta than with the release version, or B) it doesn't fix the BSOD in which case you're no worse off than you would be with the release version.

Either way it's definitely worth a try because of the potential gain in correcting the BSODs.

Thank you Nikhils and Exile.

I have allowed the beta and installed component package 1191 as suggested.  I will keep you posted if BSOD re-occurs

I also added my Avira AV folder to the Malwarebytes Allow list as suggested elsewhere on this forum for 3rd party AV's. Unfortunately Avira doesnt have a corresponding setting for me to allow Malwarebytes..Recent Avira upgrades have eliminated much user control I have not seen Avira listed on your listing of possibly conflicting malware software. But it is generally a buggy program. Have Malwarebytes--Avira conflicts been reported recently which might lead to instabilities?

Thanks again