Random USB connect noises at time

8 minutes ago, Clang said:

Any malware on my pc ?

I was working on ruling out the hardware. I just noticed which section you posted in. I am not authorized to advise you on that. But I did not see anything that stuck out.

I was concentrating on hardware since the computer is a little old. Sometimes power supplies get weak over years and the power to the USB ports can fluctuate and cause what you are experiencing.

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:

I was working on ruling out the hardware. I just noticed which section you posted in. I am not authorized to advise you on that. But I did not see anything that stuck out.

I was concentrating on hardware since the computer is a little old. Sometimes power supplies get weak over years and the power to the USB ports can fluctuate and cause what you are experiencing.

Ok thanks for your help.

Hi,

My name is Maurice.  I can guide you to check for actual malware.  We can start with a scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Please do a new Scan on this machine, using Malwarebytes for Windows.

To run a Threat Scan, open Malwarebytes for Windows and click the blue Scan button.

Have patience during the run.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Yes, thanks.  Wanted re-confirmation of that.  Next, a different scan  ( the first goal here is to check to see if any actual malware is present.)  Just keep in mind that 'noisy' hardware is most likely to be some other factor that is not infection related.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Please select " FULL " scan from the Scan options.

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at    C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Yes, thanks.  Wanted re-confirmation of that.  Next, a different scan  ( the first goal here is to check to see if any actual malware is present.)  Just keep in mind that 'noisy' hardware is most likely to be some other factor that is not infection related.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Please select " FULL " scan from the Scan options.

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at    C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Done. nothing found.

msert.log

Thank you.  That is a outstanding report.  Let's use a different security scanner tool.

a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

4 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you.  That is a outstanding report.  Let's use a different security scanner tool.

a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

This one is clean also.

scan.txt

Excellent.   One other one here.    

TrendMicro HouseCall scan

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

First, Download & Save to your Downloads folder the appropriate HouseCallLauncher

Once the download is complete, go to where the Housecalllauncher is saved & double-click it to start it.

The program will check with TrendMicro & do a update run.

Next it will show the Disclosure window.

Click Next to proceed.

The end user license agreement is presented.   Click the Accept radio button & click Next to proceed.

IF you wish a Full scan or a Custom scan, first click on the Settings

then you can select which drives you want to include in the scan.

The default is a Quick scan.

Click Scan now when ready.

The scan progress will then be displayed.   Monitor the progress or just leave it alone until it finishes this phase.

When the scan phase has completed, if any items are tagged, you will see a list, showing  the file & its location, the classification of the threat, the type, risk, and Action option.

If you see an item that you know is safe, you can click the Action  , and select Ignore.

When all done & ready, click the Fix now button.

13 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Excellent.   One other one here.    

TrendMicro HouseCall scan

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

First, Download & Save to your Downloads folder the appropriate HouseCallLauncher

Once the download is complete, go to where the Housecalllauncher is saved & double-click it to start it.

The program will check with TrendMicro & do a update run.

Next it will show the Disclosure window.

Click Next to proceed.

The end user license agreement is presented.   Click the Accept radio button & click Next to proceed.

IF you wish a Full scan or a Custom scan, first click on the Settings

then you can select which drives you want to include in the scan.

The default is a Quick scan.

Click Scan now when ready.

The scan progress will then be displayed.   Monitor the progress or just leave it alone until it finishes this phase.

When the scan phase has completed, if any items are tagged, you will see a list, showing  the file & its location, the classification of the threat, the type, risk, and Action option.

If you see an item that you know is safe, you can click the Action  , and select Ignore.

When all done & ready, click the Fix now button.

Done .Nothing found.

thc2.JPG

th1.JPG

mhc3.JPG

OK.  Thank you.   By the way, when you reply, you do not need to use the "Quote" feature.   I get notified automatically of all your replies to this case.

I believe it looks like we can say that there is no virus or malware at this point.   Even so, I'd like to run one diagnostic tool so I can review. Just do not be spooked by its name.   

Please download RogueKiller (x64) using the link below.
→ http://download.adlice.com/api?action=download&app=roguekiller&type=x64

•  
  • Save the file first,
  • Close any running programs that you started on your own ( if any).
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!

Double-click  RogueKillerx64.exe to run the program.

Follow the prompts. If a browser window opens, close the window.

In the HOME tab, click Scan button

Next, on the Quick scan pane, click om the Start button to proceed.

Upon completion, a browser window may open. Close this window.

Important: Please do not have RogueKiller remove any detected items.

Click the HISTORY tab followed by Scan Reports.

Double-click the scan log. Click Export TXT, enter a filename and save the file to your Desktop.

Please attach the file in your next reply.

Later on, we will be looking at other factors / things.

That is a good news / good result.  For each one of those 3 downloaded 'tools',  you can just delete each one of the files you downloaded.

{  These do not 'install'  like usual programs do.   They are free-standing.}

I do not believe that there is infection on this Windows.   But there are some devices or device drivers that need your attention.

I would like you to go into the Windows Device manager  and look at least at these 2.   

You may use this as a potential guide   How to Open Device Manager (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP) (lifewire.com)

The snippets are from the FRST report.

==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Description: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Class Guid: {4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Service: i8042prt
Problem: : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)
Resolution: The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.
After you remove the device, this error disappears.Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.

Name: Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Description: Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Class Guid: {4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer: (Standard keyboards)
Service: i8042prt
Problem: : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)
Resolution: The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.
After you remove the device, this error disappears.Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.