Android 11 - Chrome redirect - Scan not finding anything

HI @lavilev,

These types of ads are browser related. This is caused by the way most browsers handle redirections executed by javascript code.  Most browsers don't do a great job of preventing these redirects, which also cause ad pop-ups.  Advertising affiliates are aware of this, and exploit this weakness.  Even if an advertising affiliate is shut down for using this exploit, they just come back with a different affiliate id and are right back at it.

The best way to block these pop-ups are to try a different browsers, disable javascript, install a browser with ad blocking (like Brave), and/or install Ad-block Plus.

If you encounter these pop-ups again, back out of them using Android's back key. Also, clearing your history and cache will help stop the ads from reoccurring.

Thanks for reaching out,

Nathan

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. What happens if the phone is locked/ resting say overnight. When I open chrome there will be about 4-5 tabs generated of weird sites all different. I have already tried completely reset chrome by clearing all history, cache, cookies and data which has done nothing. Chrome has alot of info saved and would like to actually correct the problem not ignore it and goto another browser. I'm actually now nervous that who knows what's running on my phone causing this. I did send support the app log or whatever from malwarebytes. I can attach screenshots of the sites it opens if that can be helpfully. Please advise.

Hi @lavilev,

Okay, then there may be Adware on your device.  If you could send an Apps Report, I can track it down for you.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2. Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwareybtes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

Nathan

I have a similar issue. It first affected Chrome. So I disabled Chrome. Then it attacked the Samsung Internet Browser. Scanned with Malwarebytes twice and found nothing. Left the phone overnight, Nd the browser self launches a few tabs of all the weird sites. I will try the above too... 

Update: switched to Safe Mode. Looked for last used app in Apps. Noticed an app called Barcode Scanner was used as recent as the incident which I don't recall using at all. Read other sites that also spotted the same. Uninstalled it. Problem seems solved.

The catch is that this Barcode Scanner app was installed many months ago. But the adware kicked in only after many months...actually after I upgraded to Android 11. Hence least likely to suspect it. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks so much, I've been having the same trouble as well. I switched to Firefox, then read your message, checked mine and yes my barcode scanner was used recently as well, so I uninstalled. 🤞 I've had mine for a few years and the trouble only started after the Android update. Thanks so much, hoping it works.

That exactly the app causing the issue!

mbam_mtbr

Found it:

com.qrcodescanner.barcodescanner Barcode Scanner 

We just updated a detection this morning think will detect this as Android/Adware.AdQR.FBG. You can remove manually, or wait for the next malware database release this afternoon.

Nathan

5 hours ago, DavidNg said:

I have a similar issue. It first affected Chrome. So I disabled Chrome. Then it attacked the Samsung Internet Browser. Scanned with Malwarebytes twice and found nothing. Left the phone overnight, Nd the browser self launches a few tabs of all the weird sites. I will try the above too... 

1 hour ago, Joeyjojo said:

Thanks so much, I've been having the same trouble as well. I switched to Firefox, then read your message, checked mine and yes my barcode scanner was used recently as well, so I uninstalled. 🤞 I've had mine for a few years and the trouble only started after the Android update. Thanks so much, hoping it works.

Most welcome. 👍Should work. So far it didn't happen the whole morning. I even enabled Chrome. Hope Malwarebytes picks this up.. 

• Like 1

Yep malwarbytes is onto it, they've commented on the post underneath this one. My chrome is so far going well. I went to play store and read all the new comments. They're saying it's not their app, so I emailed them saying with this many people experiencing the same thing, it's definately your app. I'm so happy it's fixed. You've made my day ☺