Support ticket - 11 days and still no response..

Hi,

I raised ticket #3347461 on 19th Jan and haven't had a response. I got the confirmation of ticket creation e-mail but nothing else.

This is a simple pre-sales question as I'm deciding between which three products I'm going to purchase for my M1 Mac. Given that, I would've thought you would have jumped at the chance as I'm a potential new customer. So far all of your competitors have responded within a couple of hours so I'm leaning towards just going with one of them.

Is your support always this slow?

1 minute ago, The_Eponymous_One said:

M1 Mac

This topic might be of interest.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/266455-compatibility-with-apple-m1/

Also @treed might be of some assistance for you as well.

As for support, Yes it is backlogged.

4 minutes ago, The_Eponymous_One said:

I raised ticket #3347461 on 19th Jan and haven't had a response

Today is basically the 7th "business" day. I would think you would get a response by the weekend.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had seen the article about M1 support as well which is helpful. It would be good to know if there are any updates on top of what is in the thread.

The question I emailed about was rootkits. I was just wondering what (if any) detection/prevention capabilities Malwarebytes for Mac has for rootkits?

Thanks.

I suppose it depends on how one defines a rootkit with respect to macOS, but given a strict definition, there hasn't been one for many years now and there were questions back then as to whether it was a true rootkit or not.

If you can list any malware that you consider to be a macOS rootkit, then I'm sure the staff would be able to address your question adequately.

Yes 2012 is quite old and I don't believe it was ever found in the wild. Malwarebytes focuses on current malware and often drops detection of older, extinct malware in order to keep up it's reputation for speed.

Intego classified Crisis (aka Morcut) as a Trojan, if that makes any difference: https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/new-apple-mac-trojan-called-osxcrisis-discovered-by-intego-virus-team/.

The other thing is the SIP implementation basically shut down any notion of rooting the OS and Big Sur has taken that a step further. By far the preponderance of Mac malware found today can be found in the home folder in order to prevent the user from being alerted by asking for an admin password.

• Staff

I've alerted support about your ticket. It's possible that your reply to the ticket bumped it down in the queue, below other tickets that were now perceived as "older," though that's just a guess.

Regarding rootkit detection, we do detect malware considered to be rootkits on macOS, although this is a label not often used on macOS and used rather inconsistently with regard to meaning of the term.

That said, both Crisis and Morcut are quite old, as Al mentioned. Those are no longer seen in the wild, and we will not detect those any longer. (It's a waste of processor time to scan for malware that no longer exists.)