infected/inflicted with Charmsearch browser hijack

Thank you for your reply.

When I get to step 8 in your linked instructions I do not have a 'Reset Sync' option to click.  I have a blue button that is labeled "Clear Data".    I hesisate to click that as I prefer not to wipe out all of the synced data in my google account.

Side note

I don't know that it necessarily changes anything, but I think I should mention, the other computer that I used regularly is also has Chrome synced to the same account but does not have the issue with Charmsearch.

• Root Admin

Okay you can try to clean up the current computer without clearing sync and see how it goes but often these are tweaks that have been done in the browser.

Let me have you run a different scanner to double-check. I don't expect it to find anything, but no harm in checking.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

• It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"
  • Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started. 
  • When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes 
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan 
  • Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.
  • Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
  • There is a progress window display.
  • You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
  • When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.
  • If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
  • Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

19 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @adampk17

Following up to see how things are going. Did that clean up article help correct the issue?

Howdy, my apologies for the late reply. 

I ended up reinstalling Windows on my laptop. Not just because of this issue but it had been something I’d wanted to do for a while now. 

After the reinstall I installed Chrome, signed in to my google account, sync’d everything and..... the issue with searching is gone. 

This leaves me to believe the issue was not something that sync was involved with.  

Which leaves me disappointed with Malwarebytes. Is that unfair?

• 2 months later...