Malwarebytes Scan detected BIT.tmp file as spyware

Go to solution Solved by Hoezay42,

Today I turned on my laptop for the first time in a month and malwarebytes detected a temp file as spyware. I became very paranoid and went to the file location and found one more of those which was also a BIT.tmp file, but with different numeration and I deleted it before I could think about at least writing down the numeration. I am just curious to know what program caused this temp file to come up and I want to know if my laptop is not infected with something worse. I will include the Latest malwarebytes scan as well as the scan where the BIT.temp file was quarained and removed.

Thank you so much!

latestscan.txt malwarebytesdetection.txt

Hiya Hoezay42,

BITA.TMP files are usually genuine files, BITA can be appended with numerals such as yours for identification. However, when running from from a Temp folder they may very well be malicious as they usually do not run from that folder... Windows can also be seen to run such files from a temp folder in certain circumstances, Malwarebytes normally errs on the side of caution and will quarantine those files when found in a temp folder. If software you have installed or stops working after those files are quarantined they can be de-quarantined to see if that will fix the problem...

Run the following please:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status... Right click on FRST and rename FRSTEnglish

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
    user posted image

• Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Thank you,

Kevin

• Like 1

I personally use Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender. I would totally remove McAfee as there are still active drivers and services, that may cause issues for your system..

I would use their own removal tool.. Use the following link, scroll down to McAfee removal tool..

https://support.eset.com/en/kb146-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-common-windows-antivirus-software

When that is completed run FRST again, do not alter any settings. If one month shows leave it ticked.. My image is outdated, I need to get that renewed..

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"

user posted image

• Like 1

Hiya Hoezay42,

Thanks for those logs, continue:

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRSTEnglish, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1: This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

user posted image

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

Next,

Download "Microsoft's Safety Scanner" and save direct to the desktop

Ensure to get the correct version for your system....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Right click on the Tool, select Run as Administrator the tool will expand to the options Window
In the "Scan Type" window, select Quick Scan
Perform a scan and Click Finish when the scan is done.

Retrieve the MSRT log as follows, and post it in your next reply:

1) Select the Windows key and R key together to open the "Run" function
2) Type or Copy/Paste the following command to the "Run Line" and Press Enter:

notepad c:\windows\debug\msert.log

The log will include log details for each time MSRT has run, we only need the most recent log by date and time....

Let me see those logs in your reply, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thank you,

Kevin...

fixlist.txt

• Like 1

Hello Kevin,

Everything seems to be fine with my computer. My main concern was that my system was infected with something when malwarebytes detected the .tmp file, but it seems like it is not right? Other than that my laptop seems to be working like usual and there seems to be no issues.

I also wanted to ask how to delete FRST or if you recommend me keeping it. Other than that, everything seems to be fine.

Thank you for everything!!

-Jose

Hiya Jose,

Thanks for the update, good to hear your system is ok. Continue to clean up:

Right click on FRST here: C:\Users\Jose\Downloads\FRST.exe and rename uninstall.exe when complete right click on uninstall.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

If you do not see the .exe appended that is because file extensions are hidden, in that case just rename FRST to uninstall

That action will remove FRST and all created files and folders...

Next,

Remove all System Restore Points: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/33593-delete-system-restore-points-windows-10-a.html#option2

Create clean fresh Restore Point: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-system-restore-point

Run Windows Disk Clean Up Utility - https://neosmart.net/wiki/disk-cleanup/

Consider the following:

Malwarebytes Browser Guard (Free) for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Malwarebytes Browser Guard (Free) for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes-browser-guar/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

PatchMyPC, keep all your software upto date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

From there you should be good to go...

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image
  • Like 1

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you