BSOD mwac.sys

On Fri 22/01/2021 10:53:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\012221-11875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x99, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8001B22E07E)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 22/01/2021 10:53:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x1729)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x99, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8001B22E07E)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes).
Google query: mwac.sys Malwarebytes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Conclusion - 2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes)

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Greetings,

A new beta for Malwarebytes was just released which may correct this issue.  To install it, open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then under the General tab scroll down to the Beta updates section and enable the option Get early access to the latest software and security features by toggling the switch to the right and confirm when prompted, then scroll back to the top and click the Check for updates button to allow it to install the new beta, then restart the system and test to see if the issue is corrected.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue still persists or not.

Thanks

You're welcome, hopefully the beta fixes the issue, but if it doesn't, go ahead and post logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool and we'll take a closer look to try and figure out what's going on:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Is this still in beta?  I just BSO’D on that driver.  As far as I know I’m up to date.  (Yeah, I could tell you what release... BSOD crawls dumping 12Gb I guess...)

Okay, I was on 4.1.2, and when it rebooted it let me know of 4.3.0.  What makes it a 0x139 MWAC BSOD?  This looks different than above, bugcheck D1, (00000000’00000008, 00000000’00000002, 00000000’00000000. fffff802’821759a1), from ntoskrnl.exe+407d69. Obviously to mwac that was at mwac.sys+159a1.

I was not using a VPN at the time, pulse or otherwise.  So to be on the safe side I downloaded the MWB support tool, but given it already was in the process of a 4.3.0 update, the support tool just decided to do a Repair on it’s on.  After it finished, I did a gather.  

So if this appears to be what was fixed, bravo, and I’ll let you know if it happens again.  If you want whatever it gathered, it’s been gathered, zipped, & saved.  If there is yet another beta fix for yet another BSOD, I can go that route also.   Let me know.

• 10 months later...

Are you referring to email attachments?
If so, these files are stored in the PST file as well. If you deleted the attachments from the email and save the email, then the attachment is gone. Only of you made a local copy will you still be able to retrieve the file. When you open an attachment, it will create a temporary copy in the Windows temp folder, so if you have not cleared your temp files, you might be able to still find some of these files there. But that is rather a long shot.