notepad.exe - hope it is just a false positive

plkx

Attached are the relevant reports.

Noticed that Win 10 PC that had not been used in the past 8 hours was now showing log in screen rather than screensaver.

After logging in, MB was open, with scanner window showing 2 items quarantined - notepad.exe.

In the scan log, a scan completed just 12 minutes earlier showed no problems.

Both reports are in the attached zip file.

I am still in early stages of investigating this issue, but checking here to see if others are having the same issue.

From event viewer I noticed this at 16:14 (coinciding with log in screen):The process C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe (DESKTOP-HF4JICB) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-HF4JICB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API shutdown
 Reason Code: 0x80070000
 Shutdown Type: restart

Earlier (~14:46) I'm finding windows update client entries with Dell digital delivery entries.

Have to be away for a bit but will check in later.

plkx

fpreport_notepad.zip

• Staff

Thanks.

This isn't really triggered as malware, but as Riskware.

That registry location can be exploited, where you can run any program only by typing the name of the program in the run command.

We have seen malware making use/abuse of that, where they put a fake notepad.exe (that is malware), so calling notepad would then run the malicious one if one is available.

That's why this is always a risk and not really recommended. In your case, it's not malware, just a registry key that has been set, so you can safely ignore this, or put in your exclusion list.

Thanks for the update.

Notepad.exe in the system32 directory always opens from a command prompt, since system32 is in the windows PATH.

So, this situation could arise from using a notepad alternative and having it substituted for the default notepad.exe in the system32 directory?

Thanks,

plkx

• Staff

The difference is that the PATH environment variable only uses the directories listed there, whereas the app path registry key is more broad if no path defined.

Can you check if there's a Path subkey defined for the HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\APP PATHS\notepad.exe key in your case? I'll in a meanwhile adjust the detection to make sure it only detects if no path subkey or path is defined there.

There was no value. This may have been the result of several notepad alternatives I tried long ago, then uninstalled (Atom, notepad++, and maybe one or 2 others).

I deleted the keys (but kept a backup in case something else breaks).

Thanks,

plkx