Malwarebytes doesn't like TASKBARX

PoolManBaby

Greetings,

I installed the non-MS store version of TASKBARX --

https://chrisandriessen.nl/taskbarx

It's a groovy app that allows you to center your taskbar and even make it transparent.  Among other things.  I've used it for years as FalconX (its prior name) and suddenly Malwarebytes isn't pleased with it.

Considering the same app is in the Windows Store is there any chance this is a false positive?  Because I'd really like to keep using this app.

Thanks in Advance,

The Pool Man

• Staff

Thanks for the log, I will hide your post, so others can't see it but you.

It's not really a false positive in your case. It's not malware either, but it's rather an alert because of the location the file is in and the scheduled task that assigned to it. Normal programs typically don't run from the downloads folder, but are installed in a different folder (eg, under an appdata/programdata subfolder or program files) and run their scheduled tasks from there instead of downloads. This is since a lot of malware does this from the downloads folder, hence why we need to alert the user about this.

You can safely add this detection to your exclusions, or just put the TASKBARX folder in a different location (eg, under program files). After all, this is the place where programs that have scheduled tasks should be in.