Incorrect windows version reported on report & scan result page

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

23 minutes ago, EducatePlease said:

Hello, I know that email support help used to be from @mwb.zendesk.com but now its from @mail1.malwarebytes.com. Is this the correct new support email?

What is going on with your system. Unless it is a license issue we can assist here.

If it a license issue Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

It is the current way to contact support. Be aware it is taking 5-7+ weekdays to get a response other than the auto ticket generation.

Thank you but it isn't a license issue. I upgraded my hdd to an ssd and unfortunately my windows 7 was upgraded to windows 10 but since then Malwarebytes Pro has been reporting my system as Windows 8. All my system checks show its W10 and MBAM isn't running in comparability mode for W8.
I've been getting support from mail1.malwarebytes and when I go to upload the info the support ticket is not found. I just wanted to make sure that the support was from a legitimate email as they stopped replying and after serveral non answered emails I was told my ticket had been mistakenly put on hold and now I have to redo the scans and send them the same info again.
Thank you for confirming the email is correct. Yes they do get very busy and I have patients and understand this :)

Howdy.  Added bits, remarks.

ts W10 and MBAM isn't running in comparability mode for W8.

No, do not attempt to use any "compatibility mode".  It will make things quirky / it is not needed / undesirable / actually makes things worse for the Malwarebytes program.

Find the Malwarebytes icon on your desktop 
and right click on it with your mouse > select "Properties" > then click on the "Compatibility" tab.

Make sure that the box beside "run this program in compatibility mode for..." is left blank.
Click OK when done.

IF you created a recent Support Ticket, stick with that.  Do not try to do anything special with email.

As Porthos noted, help here is faster if you were to run the Support tool and attach that ZIP file.

If the only issue is about the readout of Windows version, that is not a fatal issue.

What is most important is, that your Malwarebytes for Windows be the very latest Release Version.  Version 4.3.0.98

• Like 2

Thank you Porthos and Maurice. MBAM is not running in compatibility mode and yes it is version 4.3.0.98. It is only an annoyance that the reports say my system is windows 8 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect my online security as MBAM still protects me from websites or dumb links that I click on. I was just worried that scans might not be doing the full job (ie. missing some areas) as it thinks I'm on Windows 8. Posting logs in an online website I feel can jeopardise my security but I may be wrong.

I mostly wanted to check that mail1 was where the support emails came from as there are a lot of fake support places out there and got caught out once with a different security product support and they were listed at the top of Google search. The only difference is they had @support infront of their name on the email where as it should have been after their name so I found out later.

Just some other tidbits.   I do hope that the way you initially created the Support ticket was thru the online Support portal.

Once you have created a Ticket, the system will send a confirmation email to you, with the Subjcet line

Malwarebytes Support Ticket  ( with a 7 digit number )

That 7-digit number is the Ticket number.

The from is support@mail1.malwarebytes.com

From that point on, just follow the directions provided you, and make 1 reply as appropriate.   and then await the next response.  Have patience.

I hope this helps you  ( as well as other readers)  about the initial ticket process.

As to your issue at hand, which is a quirk on your machine, where the report only is showing Windows 8  where it should be Windows 10.

That is just a quirk.  It does NOT affect any protection or scan function of the program itself.  The scans do work just fine.  The protections are not impacted.

Let's just get the attention of a company person to see their view.   @nikhils  Could you possibly weigh-in ?   Thanks.

Do have patience as this is a Sunday, and at the late hours of the weekend.

Attaching the support ZIP report does not present or expose any personal information of any sort. 

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 2

PS.  Please everybody, do not go on Google or any search engine of another kind, looking for real Malwarebytes Support.  All too often, that is how people fall into a scam.

The real Support portal starts at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us

The spot to start a Support ticket is https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Staff

I did find your Support Ticket and advised the Agent to close it as you can work directly with the Engineering dept here in this topic. Please upload logs to this topic as soon as you can so @nikhils can take a look and advise further.

Please refer to this post for instructions on uploading logs to this topic. Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EducatePlease said:

Thanks again for your assistance.

You OS shows windows 10. Although you are 2  feature upgrades behind.

Product Name:     Windows 10 Pro

I would suggest you put the following back to default.

This should be hourly

Check for Updates Every:                                           120 Minutes

This should be on as component updates are important.

Automatically download and install application component updates:  OFF

I would suggest you do the following and will fix everything as well might address the "compatibility" issue.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

I would suggest you put the following back to default.

This should be hourly

Check for Updates Every:                                           120 Minutes

I live in an area with snail internet (DSL) and when playing on line game these checks would send my ping from 60 to anywhere up to 300 hence why it only checks every 2hours.

This should be on as component updates are important.

Automatically download and install application component updates:  OFF

This was turned off as when MBAM would attempt to install application updates it would completely uninstall and not reinstall itself so I've had to do this manually. Although the last upgrade this didn't happen so I will change this now.

You OS shows windows 10. Although you are 2  feature upgrades behind.

Product Name:     Windows 10 Pro

When I look at the scan results it says Windows 8 and this is why I was a bit concerned

image.png.ba97e9a59b7a5570d7eefe9dd2e35ff6.png

I would suggest you do the following and will fix everything as well might address the "compatibility" issue.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Within the next 24hours I will uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes with the support tool and reply with my results.
Thanks.

Hi Porthos, I already had the tool downloaded and ran it, it sort of worked. The tool installed an older version of MBAM 3.5.1.2522. I ran a threat scan straight away and it still shows Windows 8 in the scan window. Also when I started to run the scan windows reported that malwarebytes was turned off.
1350756294_MBAMreinstallscan-Copy.png.096ff7253fda7cf13b2196ffc00dadd4.png

I redownloaded the support tool from your link and did it all again and it still installed the same old version of Malwarebytes. So I've updated to the latest application version via the UI and ran a quick scan and the report still says Windows 8.

426226226_M-newscan-Copy-Copy.png.a3fe93a9d84ae7f4de0219da883ef3d9.png

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I followed the instructions in the below link and I clicked on "clean" then after reboot and final clean up finished I clicked on "yes" when asked if I wanted to reinstall malwarebytes. I don't understand how this is incorrect?

On 1/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, EducatePlease said:

Also the UI still says that it is Windows 8

41 minutes ago, EducatePlease said:

I don't understand how this is incorrect?

The reinstall will only pull down the current version. Not 3.5.1 as you got.

43 minutes ago, EducatePlease said:

Also the UI still says that it is Windows 8

As long as it works,. Have no idea why scan logs are showing 8.

FYI, it's always shown Windows 8 on my Windows 10 devices as well; I suspect it's just an issue with no recognizing the correct OS build info on some system configurations, though I don't know the exact cause.  I know of no differences with regards to how Malwarebytes scans between the two operating systems, so it shouldn't do any harm, though I have noted the issue for the Product team regardless, and hopefully we'll see a fix for it at some point, whatever the cause might be.

• Thanks 1

NOTES:  As Samuel says, and as I tried to express earlier, on some systems this same "reporting" issue is seen.   But not on all Windows 10 systems.  For example, on my Windows 10 it is reporting  .....

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 1/21/21
Scan Time: 10:55 AM
Log File: 7574ec36-5c09-11eb-9f97-3ca82aab2621.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.3.0.98
Components Version: 1.0.1153
Update Package Version: 1.0.36051
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS

image.png.6fba3cdfd37a45df3b18db739db0213a.png

In any event, the workings of the program, the protections of the program are not affected when you see this mis-display of the Windows version.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EducatePlease said:

What do we try now?

@EducatePlease    Could you try this one time.

First, be sure to do one Windows Restart.   That is to insure a good fresh start.

I'd suggest you save the download to the Desktop for ease of access.
1. Download the offline installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline
2. Now, go to the Desktop.     Right-click on the exe and select Run as Administrator and allow it to go forward.

This ought to insure that the latest Malwarebytes is installed.   Then let us know if this resolves the OS version display issue.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Thanks 1

Thank you exile360 and Maurice for your replies and reassurance. That certainly relaxes the concerns I had regarding scans and the reports. Thank you, very grateful. ☺️

5 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Could you try this one time.

First, be sure to do one Windows Restart.   That is to insure a good fresh start.

I'd suggest you save the download to the Desktop for ease of access.
1. Download the offline installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline
2. Now, go to the Desktop.     Right-click on the exe and select Run as Administrator and allow it to go forward.

This ought to insure that the latest Malwarebytes is installed.   Then let us know if this resolves the OS version display issue.

I will do this today and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

• Like 1