I was shocked to read this, and it made all sense to me when I noticed my phone acting a fool...

I have a live government malware infected phone ..

https://www.xda-developers.com/us-government-smartphones-pre-installed-malware/

It has been confirmed.. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to fix this phone? or should I just burn it and take a hammer to it at this point?

I don't think I am too comfortable on someone stealing my personal information.

https://www.xda-developers.com/report-android-phones-transmit-data-to-adups-a-chinese-firm/

I have some minor experience on abd, android etc. I have dev mode enabled and I might be able to send info. but yes.. My phone is legit.. a hacked phone.. .

I did malwarebytes scan but I cant clean it .. so.. do I need to get some ROMS here?
How can I fix this thing. 

image.png.9ed58bc5555e96545e68be2878b3fcd6.pngIMG_20210116_0543062632.thumb.jpg.3b0859296108b009c0b19616bafbf323.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Brickstin,

Yes, definitely burn it and take a hammer to it. 🤣  But first, maybe try reading what I posted in this link:

Make UMX phone more tolerable

Are you experiencing Android/Trojan.HiddenAds being installed without your knowledge/permission?  If not, then just follow my recommendations and it should make things more tolerable.

Nathan

• Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 6:55 AM, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Brickstin,

Yes, definitely burn it and take a hammer to it. 🤣  But first, maybe try reading what I posted in this link:

Make UMX phone more tolerable

Are you experiencing Android/Trojan.HiddenAds being installed without your knowledge/permission?  If not, then just follow my recommendations and it should make things more tolerable.

Nathan

I really appreciate your response but I have an update, I think this should be updated in your article about the latest firmware (During that time frame) of the results you got with those same malwares that was in this phone for the longest time, UNIMAX is hard to get ahold of and Assurancewireless won't help me: They said there is no more warranty and ask me to buy a new phone from them, but this is absurd, they are GOVERNMENT funded and not only that but our taxes PAY into these programs to help those who are in need - Like me (I am all spectrum Autistic, and have PTSD ADD mental issues and other mental issues as well.. This is very frustrating for me and making it hard for me to even improve on my life in any way what so ever, I am trying to start a life, trying to be there for a community that I love and support online that I have met through Covid times, and they are very importaint to me and I care about them..

As of this very moment in the previous version that I had before this latest update, I was within the working environment and in the kernal those payloads activated and did a Forced OTA update without my consent and forced it to update the firmware, this is a new behavior and new version of the malware that acts more aggressively, the entire phone is turning into a drone and is stopping my services from functioning!

My phone is almost 60% none functional during the day and now I'm loosing data, there is a new fully restricted APP that is taking unknown amounts of data and it is on the VERY TOP of all the lists. and my tether is at over 4GB.
I tried to buy GB last night because i rant out of data and then when I tried to use it. It wouldn't even work!

Then my data later on during yesterday popped up but I didnt use it all day.. well I just got home to use the internet and try it this time and all my data is gone?!

This malware just stole 2GBs of Data that I paid just under 12 dollars for this to at least talk to my girlfriend, but we hardly get to talk to each other because of so many issues including covid that we can't even stay in contact half the time!

My data, personal information, my email account, everything, has been stolen and hacked into. 

Please look at these attachments, and please forward this to the proper departments: In all honesty we need a class action lawsuit against Assurancewireless for negligence and carelessness for choosing a company that doesn't own up to it's reputation taking responsibility for the best interests of the people.

Meanwhile the company is not even doing an investigation or even given the public any notice what soever; unless I missed the memo, what is Assurancewireless and UMX in all of this???
I am tired of hearing the companies excuses, they need to make this right, or let someone else make it right.
I have yet to see any further updates, unless I missed the memo because I sure didn't see anything special happen with Unimax Right now.

Assurancewireless won't take responsibility by at least offering me a free replacement phone that isn't a UMX product. I have to wait two more months before I can even do anything about it, because I have to wait a year to get another free replacement, so I would have to buy a new phone... meanwhile Iv had to change all my passwords to multiple accounts to random encoded passwords to maximize my security.

Unimax doesn't deserve to exist as a company.. The Federal Trade Commission should be contacted as well as other departments to bar and avoid doing business with this company.
Not only that but I question Assurance Wireless in all of this, it's really disappointing to even think that this tax payer program is taking advantage of it's own tax payers in this manner by being careless and allow this to continue, I have lost faith in this company an will be forced to switch to Dlink of the TwinCities area.

IMG_20210217_013632263~2[1].jpg

IMG_20210217_023118004~2[1].jpg

IMG_20210217_023127317~2[1].jpg

• Staff

Hi @Brickstin,

I fully agree.  The problem is I cannot replicate the behavior that you and others are seeing on my UMX test.  I have the same update, but not the same behavior.   Lets work together to see if we can produce that evidence.  To start, could you send me an apps report?  You may have had malware downloaded/installed on your device.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2. Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwareybtes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

If we find malware, we can then attempt to track down what installed it.  We can do this by using My Google Activity.  Google tracks activity on your device that we can use to leverage in our favor.  On your UMX, go here: https://myactivity.google.com/  You can see if an app is installed, and what installed it.

Finally, I suggest a firewall that can block/track apps internet traffic.  I personally use NoRoot Firewall: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall&hl=en

With the firewall on you can see what apps are accessing the internet and block them.

Nathan

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Brickstin,

I fully agree.  The problem is I cannot replicate the behavior that you and others are seeing on my UMX test.  I have the same update, but not the same behavior.   Lets work together to see if we can produce that evidence.  To start, could you send me an apps report?  You may have had malware downloaded/installed on your device.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2. Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwareybtes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

If we find malware, we can then attempt to track down what installed it.  We can do this by using My Google Activity.  Google tracks activity on your device that we can use to leverage in our favor.  On your UMX, go here: https://myactivity.google.com/  You can see if an app is installed, and what installed it.

Finally, I suggest a firewall that can block/track apps internet traffic.  I personally use NoRoot Firewall: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall&hl=en

With the firewall on you can see what apps are accessing the internet and block them.

Nathan

I deeply apologize for never getting back to you, my laptop had broke a while back and I had to save up money to get it fixed, I just now got back up and running. If you're still willing to work with me, please let me know.

I can start doing all these procedures tonight: Also I am willing to let this Phone now because I have a replacement phone. 

Assurancewireless changed to Tmobile networks (Worse decision ever.. Now the network is slower than before) 

But at any rate, will start working on these tests this weekened. 

Kind thanks,

Brickstin

• Staff
On 4/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Brickstin said:

I deeply apologize for never getting back to you, my laptop had broke a while back and I had to save up money to get it fixed, I just now got back up and running. If you're still willing to work with me, please let me know.

I can start doing all these procedures tonight: Also I am willing to let this Phone now because I have a replacement phone. 

Assurancewireless changed to Tmobile networks (Worse decision ever.. Now the network is slower than before) 

But at any rate, will start working on these tests this weekened. 

Kind thanks,

Brickstin

Hi @Brickstin,

No worries!  You may want to read up on all the prior issues/suggestions here as well.

I saw that Assurance Wireless is now T-mobile.  Although it sucks about the slower network, they might put an end to some of this pre-installed garbage.

Nathan

On 4/26/2021 at 7:16 AM, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Brickstin,

No worries!  You may want to read up on all the prior issues/suggestions here as well.

I saw that Assurance Wireless is now T-mobile.  Although it sucks about the slower network, they might put an end to some of this pre-installed garbage.

Nathan

Ironically I had called in to Tmobile services and told them that they throttle us way to much, I pay for mint Mobile also which is a bulk service that I pay yearly and so we get second place priority but in all honesty T-mobile is starting to push the Net Neutrality limits.

The FCC and the FTC are going to be hearing from me because they are throttling me down to so badly that I cannot even communicate and attend my doctors appointments.. 

As for the other link you sent: i did read that up and tried some off those suggestions the others I have already done, but some of the apps are not able to be disabled, it seems that there is some variant to the infection, it is still generally the same one just slightly integrated differently..

I have tried factory resetting and the infection is integrated in the System settings Service which is part of the firmware. 

I want to add onto that topic as well, Im sorry for a redundant post: This was particularly unique - Please check your DMs for my email as I sent the report you requested. 

Here is the following apps and settings I have applied to stop the infection as much as possible:

APK/APP name: Android Setup
Settings Applied:Modify System Settings - OFF
Data (App Data Usage) - Background Data - OFF
Permissions: Phone - OFF

APK/APP name: APPCloud
Settings Applied: Disabled entire APP
Data Usage> Background Data - OFF

APK/APP name: CarrierHUB
Settings Applied: Modify System Settings - OFF
Data Usage > Background Data - OFF

APK/APP name:Carrier Services
Settings Applied: Data Usage >Background Data - OFF