Malwarebytes U3 Version

Firefox

@Firefox,

I think this would defeat the purpose of MBAM's recommended usage which is from the actual computer that is infected or that you just want to scan, not from a flash drive or external hard drive. That way it can access the registry, etc...

@AdvancedSetup and yardbird

Sorry about the post, but I think they are slightly different, where the other post just wants to run it off the flash drive and I was talking about the U3 software.

either way, think my question is answered as it seems a portable version will not be worked out.

@ Firefox correct me if I'm in error but, I have flash usb ext. drives with/without the U3 software on some, both of which can get infected! as AdvancedSetup said:

It is HIGHLY recommended that you do this with a burned CD and not a USB drive. A USB drive can easily get infected and transfer that infection to your other clean system

tell me if theres something in U3 that I missed...thats why were here... regards...

@ yardbird....

you are right that flash drives can get easily infected.... I was under the impression that a flash drive that had U3 installed on it was write protected on the U3 side where the software resides. I know my U3 enabled flash drive has a password associated with it so anything that is there is not readable unless I enter the password. And if you do not enter the password it wont work.

Then again I just tested it, if I do not enter that password you cant access even the U3 software that is installed so I guess its not possible.

Due to knowing that flash drives get infected, I use one just for cleaning computers..... if it gets infected I just reformat it and then copy my cleaning tools on it.

@ Firefox

That must be made by San Disk? When I get that software I remove it.... but I confess I' not up-to-date on U3... so the risk does remain taht it can? get infected? just my 2 cents....

I've been buying there sticks since they came out with 4 packs of 32MB sticks and no software... thx....for the reply...

• Staff

U3 works by creating a separate partition on the flash drive that is Read Only (and therefore cannot be infected) and is in the form of an ISO (disc image). Windows sees it as a CD-Rom. There's a tool (if you find it don't post about it as it's not legal and voids the U3 drive's warranty :) ) that you can use to overwrite the U3 ISO with your own disc image and you can also change the size of it up to the size of the entire drive itself. Of course, since overwriting the entire drive with an ISO would make the entire thing Read Only, you couldn't use it to put files on if moving them from one computer to another, but it could be handy if you needed a flash drive that acted like a CD, but perhaps had more space than 700Mb and you didn't have or didn't want to use a blank DVD.

As for MBAM being portable in any form, U3 or otherwise, I used to want it, but now I really don't see the point. Installation is quick and painless and if a system is infected so badly that it won't let you run the installer, it's not going to let you run MBAM itself either, whether it be from the Program Files directory on the infected machine, or from a flash drive that you have a portable version stored on.

@ exile360

Thanks for the education on U3, I did not know the things you mentioned. After your explanation on how it works, and how MBAM would probably not run on that infected system anyway, it makes no sense it trying to make it portable.

Thanks for the replies.....