Pfising scam in name of MalwareBytesSecurity in email from "Backend"

Received email from "Backend" confirming automatic renewal of MalwareBytes fee for $349.99 by charge to credit card with customer service number of 1-866-271-8918.  Called, spoke with person identified as "Nick" who gave last four digits of American Express card and requested confirmation of full number and four digit code from front of card.  Then asked for card expiration.  Got suspicious at that point and dropped call.  Called American Express direct to confirm no charge made.  They cancelled card.  Got suckered into this scam since it was from "MalwareBytes".  We only use free service from Malware.

Just wanted to let people know this scam is being run in the name of MalwareBytes Security.  Don't fall for it like I did.

These scams are going around... I can only predict more will come in different forms. Yesterday I reported a fake texting covid relief program. Although this was in the form of a text message. You always have to be careful and always double if not triple “looks things over”. Any major company or event in the world.... These threat actors will take advantage of what they can. 

Edited by brad03
Added info.
  • Like 1