Can't uninstall

goneguy

Just now, goneguy said:

I installed Malwarebytes 2 days ago on a win7 pro 64 bit PC with some OS issues. I would like to uninstall the program, but it does not appear in control panel uninstall list. How can I uninstall this program?

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no to the new install.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check that out. I'd be fine with just disabling the installation, I've tried renaming/deleting the installation folder, and although I'm signed in as admin & have tried the "take ownership" process, it keeps telling me "you need admin privileges... "  Any ideas on that route?

• Staff
1 hour ago, goneguy said:

I've tried renaming/deleting the installation folder, and although I'm signed in as admin & have tried the "take ownership" process, it keeps telling me "you need admin privileges... "  Any ideas on that route?

That's a bad idea since that would cause any startup entries to point to the wrong path and wouldn't address Malwarebytes' drivers which would still remain in place in System32.  The reason you can't rename it is likely due to Malwarebytes' self-protection module.  You could try disabling self-protection, but you'd be much better off just uninstalling Malwarebytes using the Support Tool as recommended above by Porthos.  Attempting to manually uninstall or disable an antivirus or anti-malware product is a very high risk activity and could easily lead to system instability because of the low-level drivers and services that such products typically install into various areas of the operating system, particularly since many of those components are designed to load on boot, so corrupting the installation with drivers and services still in place could potentially result in the OS failing to boot properly.