Adware.SearchEngineHiJack Keeps Coming Back

Adware.SearchEngineHiJack Keeps Coming Back

Every time i do a scan or an automatic scan runs i get 22 files in the report all with

Adware.SearchEngineHiJack  noted

i quarantine restart do a delete all then run another scan and they all come back

i have unistalled Chrome completly using Revo Uninstaller Pro and rebooted

i use chrome as my internet explorer so do i now have to change for Edge?

i do not want Microsoft taking over my life and Opera and Firefox are rubbish

I have looked at your webadvisor and browser guide BUT, it stops all my wanted sites and i do not want to keep going in and putting in the allow list.

something must be done else delete malwarebytes?????

malwarebytes.txt

Hi   :welcome:

Please start out with these first steps.  

[   1   ]

Use Chrome browser   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[   2   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

Reply # 2   for this Monday.   Please do confirm you have done my 2 tips from my preceding reply.

and

I would appreciate  getting  additional / fuller  important details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.80.848.exe  to run the report

Once it starts, you will see a first screen with 2 buttons.  Click the one on the left marked "I don't have an open support ticket".

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK.  Then Exit the tool.

Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one. 

Sincerely,

Maurice

Ok I understand that there is NO way of stopping this if i have sync on

I do not really understand why they are flagged up as hyjackware but ok i just run a scan every day on startup and get rid of what it finds

I think that is all as i do not want to allow anything to collect my data and send away

I do not know you and i do not really ahve any thing wrong on my machine i do have a lot of client files and need to keep these secure

ok

The point about Google Chrome was to have SYNC set to OFF   so that then you can do followup scans.   That step was a first step if you use Chrome browser.

Second step was to delete all cache files in the temporary area of Chrome.

Then it was to be to run some scans.

And by the way, the support-tool does not show any contents of documents nor personal information.

I would suggest a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows like the following.

In Malwarebytes for Windows program, we want to do a special scan.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the Security tab.   

Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON        👈

Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

You can actually click  ( tick )   the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).    👈

🔻

MB4_scan_tick_ALL2.jpg.e8a7f94bceca3237b7dbe17faacfa577.jpg

Then click on Quarantine selected.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.dd0e7b543cdb7c69c37bcf14f0e5b9d1.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Ok I understand that there is NO way of stopping this if i have sync on

I do not really understand why they are flagged up as hyjackware but ok i just run a scan every day on startup and get rid of what it finds

I think that is all as i do not want to allow anything to collect my data and send away

I do not know you and i do not really ahve any thing wrong on my machine i do have a lot of client files and need to keep these secure

ok

Thought i had sent this so as i try i have attached a scan report from 4th

it does not seem to find any 5th or today 6th

over to you

scan.txt

As I noted before, none of the reports or tools we use here collect any personal information.  Nor do they do anything on the contents of personal or client files. Nor do they show content of files or documents.

Hopefully you are here because you trust the expert trained guidance provided on this forum. No other parties can view any report that you attach.

Chrome browser can be a beast to clean up when it gets into a P U P situation.  That is one factor we ask folks to temporarily at least turn off the Sync option.  Otherwise, the P U P  or the tagged items will "stick around".

The scan report you relayed shows that the elements ( several) of Adware.SearchEngineHijack  are persistent.

If you want to get rid of them, extra steps have to be taken.    and that typically requires  additional steps like a custom script fix.  But in order to do that we typically need to get additional details, like the current conditions on the Chrome browser.

Now, if the scan by Malwarebytes for Windows done this day   did not find any exceptions, then we can plan to Close this case.

I do have more suggestions for the Chrome browser.  ( and the lat item is for all web browsers.)

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

and

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you