"White Noise" pop-up ads?

GWARslave119

I've seen this before in the past when browsing, but when I tried searching online today to show someone that I wasn't making it up, I wasn't able to find anything regarding them. They are simliar to those fake ransomware pop-ups that are full screen and seem to disable general ways of closing a browser tab but can still be force closed. Does anyone have any info on them? They look just like the white noise on a tv with no reception, exception the noise is in color, not black and white.

• Staff

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with this specific threat, however I'd recommend installing Malwarebytes Browser Guard if you haven't done so already as it is likely to block it since it not only blocks known bad websites (in addition to many ads and trackers to protect your privacy and eliminate many online annoyances), but also includes behavior based blocking for tech support scams and scam sites using similar tactics, meaning it would likely block the threat you've discovered based on its behavior alone, assuming the specific site hosting it isn't already in Malwarebytes' block database.

Additionally, if the site isn't blocked and you have the URL for the site, please follow the instructions in this topic and post it for our Researchers by clicking here and they will investigate and add the site to Malwarebytes' block database for the Web Protection in Malwarebytes Premium as well as Malwarebytes Browser Guard.