Threatpost the cybersecurity blog serving up malicious redirects?

brad03

I love reading up on the latest, security news like many others. when reading threatposts, blog on my iPhone i continue to be redirected to a site that says my "iPhone has been infected" (which i know better to fall for) Malwarebytes, does block the sites but i do not have the software on my iPhone. I know for sure that my iPhone is 100% clean can anyone else confirm these redirects on this blog through iPhone or other operating systems? I have contacted threatpost to report the issue today as i feel this is concerning to users security. P.S i hope this is the right section i have posted in. Happy holidays to all!       

No I have stated that in my above comment that I was not. I also know my phone is not infected. But would appreciate it if another researcher or malwarebytes staff could confirm that iPhones are being redirected to malicious sites. It’s just a typicall you’re device is infected redirection. 

8 minutes ago, brad03 said:

No I have stated that in my above comment that I was not. I also know my phone is not infected. But would appreciate it if another researcher or malwarebytes staff could confirm that iPhones are being redirected to malicious sites. It’s just a typicall you’re device is infected redirection. 

Oh okay. sorry I missed that in the first post for some reason as I was on there website checking around and like @exile360 said hopefully they can clean the embedded ads cleaned up. Thanks for the headsup!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hardhead said:

Oh I know why I'm not seeing it as I have a VPN that is probably blocking it on my second iPhone... Duhhh 😛

I wish i did not close out of it but I'm going to spend the rest of my night trying to replicate the issue again. threatpost has not responded yet as soon as i come across he link again i will post it to you in (code format)  it will eventually show up again this has went undetected by them for some time i feel....  

2 minutes ago, brad03 said:

I wish i did not close out of it but I'm going to spend the rest of my night trying to replicate the issue again. threatpost has not responded yet as soon as i come across he link again i will post it to you in (code format)  it will eventually show up again this has went undetected by them for some time i feel....  

Yes that would be cool and I could disable my VPN and see if I can duplicate the ad too. Let me know if you find anything Much appreciated @brad03😉

• Thanks 1

threatpost has reached out about the redirections if any malwarebytes staff would like to give them any info on what they collected from the url. i am actively working with them in trying to locate this issue.  

Edited by brad03

• Staff

I suspect all they'll be able to do is determine the exact URL of the ad then report it to whoever their partner/provider for ads on their site is (usually Google for most sites, though there are others), then the ad provider will likely need to verify it on their end and drop that ad/advertiser from their rotation/service.  I'm not sure what more useful info Malwarebytes could provide, especially since the maliciousness of the ad is pretty obvious/not obfuscated as something more sneaky like an exploit or cryptocurrency miner would be.