Possible false positive detected

leobando

I got these alerts that I believe are false positive

Malware threat detected, see details below:

11/28/2020 3:00:28 AM computer name             xx.xx.xx.xx       Spyware.PasswordStealer            < No action taken >                C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Shared\Packages\Microsoft.Net.Compilers.2.6.1.nupkg

11/28/2020 3:00:28 AM computer name             xx.xx.xx.xx       Spyware.PasswordStealer            < No action taken >                C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Shared\Packages\Microsoft.Net.Compilers.2.6.1\tools\csc.exe

Total count: 2.

11/30/2020 3:03:50 PM computer name             xx.xx.xx.xx       Trojan.SmokeLoader      < No action taken >                C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache\Apple Mobile Device Support 12.0.0.1039\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi

Can you confirm it.

Thank you

• Staff

Hello @leobando

Please follow these instructions on the endpoint that had the detection to gather logs - https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023853

I'm also opening a ticket for you and sending you an e-mail with these instructions and a link where you can provide us with the logs.

It appears that based off of this, csc.exe is a false positive - https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/267280-false-positive-cscexe-visual-studio/

I can get verification on the other items with the logs.

Please check your e-mail for log upload instructions. 

• Staff

Hi @nestrada

I also sent you an e-mail with instructions to get us logs and where to upload them. Please check your e-mail and reply there when it's been done. It looks like you have a machine with the same detection C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache\Apple Mobile Device Support 12.0.0.1039\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi

Thank you,

• Staff

Hi @nestrada and @leobando,

My research team confirmed that C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache\Apple Mobile Device Support 12.0.0.1039\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi was a false positive that is already resolved. You should be able to restore the file from quarantine and you shouldn't get anymore detections on it

Now I'm just waiting on logs from @leobando to confirm if C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Shared\Packages\Microsoft.Net.Compilers.2.6.1.nupkg was also a false positive. 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Like 1