Disabling auto start on Mac, or just quitting the application

And there is no reason to have the actual Malwarebytes app open except to change settings, do a manual scan or check results. You should normally close it after doing any of those things.

8 hours ago, alvarnell said:

And there is no reason to have the actual Malwarebytes app open except to change settings, do a manual scan or check results. You should normally close it after doing any of those things.

I assume that @personx's problem is not due to the open interface but to the fact that the application is active.

Probably apart from uninstalling it, the only way is to temporarily deactivate the protections in real time (as @exile360 said above).

18 hours ago, personx said:

the exam software wants certain apps closed, like Malwarebytes

The fact remains that an app that doesn't accept that antimalware works, if it is legitimate, is not normal in my opinion and some concern should at least arouse it

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

53 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I assume that @personx's problem is not due to the open interface but to the fact that the application is active.

The malwarebytes application is never active when quit. There is a Malwarebytes Agent process open in the background to display and process selections from the MenuBar (and possibly other functions) and an RTProtectionDaemon open in the background that does accomplishes Real Time Protection and App Blocking if enabled. But neither of them are the actual application.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Probably apart from uninstalling it, the only way is to temporarily deactivate the protections in real time (as @exile360 said above).

The fact remains that an app that doesn't accept that antimalware works, if it is legitimate, is not normal in my opinion and some concern should at least arouse it

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Precisely this. I will double check when my cloud exam repoens and do it on my Mac. But the actual application should be close-able.

7 hours ago, personx said:

But the actual application should be close-able.

I'm not sure you read my entry above yours, but the app is fully closable by simply quitting it. And that should be it's normal state. Only have it open when you are doing a manual scan, check the logs or change a preference setting

However, there are two associated processes that run in the background that cannot be easily prevented from running.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alvarnell said:

I'm not sure you read my entry above yours, but the app is fully closable by simply quitting it. And that should be it's normal state. Only have it open when you are doing a manual scan, check the logs or change a preference setting

However, there are two associated processes that run in the background that cannot be easily prevented from running.

I can't believe I didn't try that 🤦

I'll reply back when I re-take the cloud exam and let y'all know if this was the only thing needed. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly clear on what you had to do. What was suggested was to make sure to not be running the "Malwarebytes" app at the time (i.e. Selecting "Quit" from the Malwarebytes menu or typing <Command>-Q), but what you described sounds like you many have also had to quit the "Malwarebytes Agent" background process from Activity Monitor. Am I interpreting that correctly?

2 hours ago, alvarnell said:

I'm not exactly clear on what you had to do. What was suggested was to make sure to not be running the "Malwarebytes" app at the time (i.e. Selecting "Quit" from the Malwarebytes menu or typing <Command>-Q), but what you described sounds like you many have also had to quit the "Malwarebytes Agent" background process from Activity Monitor. Am I interpreting that correctly?

There is no "Quit" on Malwarebytes for Mac as far as I see. Command+Q quits the foreground app, but it still runs in the background (you can see the tray still active).

Malwarebytes for Mac is the GUI application that runs in the foreground and can be found in your Applications folder. The only time that needs to be running is when you need access to one of the dashboard functions (manual scan, take remedial actions, preference changes, view log, etc.). macOS doesn't have a "tray" so are you saying that the icon in the "dock" is  still active (a dot below) or are your referring to the "M" icon in the menubar? When I quit Malwarebytes for Mac the dot below the dock icon disappears, indicating that it is no longer active.

Malwarebytes Agent is a totally separate app that runs in the background and provides the "M" icon in the menubar. There is no "Quit" in the "M" menubar icon, so yes that must be done form Activity Monitor. 

So are you saying that the exam software recognizes that Malwarebytes Agent is running in the background and refuses to open?