Jump to content

Disabling auto start on Mac, or just quitting the application


Recommended Posts

And there is no reason to have the actual Malwarebytes app open except to change settings, do a manual scan or check results. You should normally close it after doing any of those things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, alvarnell said:

And there is no reason to have the actual Malwarebytes app open except to change settings, do a manual scan or check results. You should normally close it after doing any of those things.

I assume that @personx's problem is not due to the open interface but to the fact that the application is active.

Probably apart from uninstalling it, the only way is to temporarily deactivate the protections in real time (as @exile360 said above).

18 hours ago, personx said:

the exam software wants certain apps closed, like Malwarebytes

The fact remains that an app that doesn't accept that antimalware works, if it is legitimate, is not normal in my opinion and some concern should at least arouse it


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I assume that @personx's problem is not due to the open interface but to the fact that the application is active.

The malwarebytes application is never active when quit. There is a Malwarebytes Agent process open in the background to display and process selections from the MenuBar (and possibly other functions) and an RTProtectionDaemon open in the background that does accomplishes Real Time Protection and App Blocking if enabled. But neither of them are the actual application.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I assume that @personx's problem is not due to the open interface but to the fact that the application is active.

Probably apart from uninstalling it, the only way is to temporarily deactivate the protections in real time (as @exile360 said above).

The fact remains that an app that doesn't accept that antimalware works, if it is legitimate, is not normal in my opinion and some concern should at least arouse it


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Precisely this. I will double check when my cloud exam repoens and do it on my Mac. But the actual application should be close-able.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, personx said:

But the actual application should be close-able.

I'm not sure you read my entry above yours, but the app is fully closable by simply quitting it. And that should be it's normal state. Only have it open when you are doing a manual scan, check the logs or change a preference setting

However, there are two associated processes that run in the background that cannot be easily prevented from running.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, alvarnell said:

I'm not sure you read my entry above yours, but the app is fully closable by simply quitting it. And that should be it's normal state. Only have it open when you are doing a manual scan, check the logs or change a preference setting

However, there are two associated processes that run in the background that cannot be easily prevented from running.

I can't believe I didn't try that 🤦

I'll reply back when I re-take the cloud exam and let y'all know if this was the only thing needed. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly clear on what you had to do. What was suggested was to make sure to not be running the "Malwarebytes" app at the time (i.e. Selecting "Quit" from the Malwarebytes menu or typing <Command>-Q), but what you described sounds like you many have also had to quit the "Malwarebytes Agent" background process from Activity Monitor. Am I interpreting that correctly?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, alvarnell said:

I'm not exactly clear on what you had to do. What was suggested was to make sure to not be running the "Malwarebytes" app at the time (i.e. Selecting "Quit" from the Malwarebytes menu or typing <Command>-Q), but what you described sounds like you many have also had to quit the "Malwarebytes Agent" background process from Activity Monitor. Am I interpreting that correctly?

There is no "Quit" on Malwarebytes for Mac as far as I see. Command+Q quits the foreground app, but it still runs in the background (you can see the tray still active).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Malwarebytes for Mac is the GUI application that runs in the foreground and can be found in your Applications folder. The only time that needs to be running is when you need access to one of the dashboard functions (manual scan, take remedial actions, preference changes, view log, etc.). macOS doesn't have a "tray" so are you saying that the icon in the "dock" is  still active (a dot below) or are your referring to the "M" icon in the menubar? When I quit Malwarebytes for Mac the dot below the dock icon disappears, indicating that it is no longer active.

Malwarebytes Agent is a totally separate app that runs in the background and provides the "M" icon in the menubar. There is no "Quit" in the "M" menubar icon, so yes that must be done form Activity Monitor. 

So are you saying that the exam software recognizes that Malwarebytes Agent is running in the background and refuses to open?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.