Malwarebytes Privacy Cannot Connect

mmdavis
Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

The program has been working fine, until the last update or two. I get a red pop-up from Windows about the driver (unsigned, unverified or something to that effect), but tell it to install anyway. It installs, but when Malwarebytes Privacy tries to connect, it spins for a long time, then says it cannot connect and says to check my internet connection. Well apparently since I am here, my internet connection is fine. 

I have seen others have had the same experience, and have tried some of those suggestions (uninstalled Privacy, uninstalled WinTun Driver, uninstalled Tunnel driver, rebooted, etc) but it still does not want to connect, so I am at a loss as to what to try next. It is a bit frustrating to take a simple, easy to use program and update it to something that doesn't want to work.

Hopefully someone can see if there is a simple fix to return it to a simple, easy to use program again.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Greetings,

Sometimes this issue is fixed by launching Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.  Please make sure you're online, then try opening Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and visit www.microsoft.com, then wait around 10 seconds, then you can close the browsers, restart the system and see if Malwarebytes Privacy is then able to connect or not.

The next thing to check would be ESET since you have ESET AV installed.  Please try temporarily disabling or removing ESET to see if that makes any difference.  If it works you might need to configure exclusions for Malwarebytes Privacy in ESET.  The information in this ESET support article should help; you'll likely have the best luck by creating "Performance Exclusions" for Malwarebytes Privacy if possible.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Makes no difference, didn't figure it would. Privacy ran fine with ESET on three different machines before Version 2.1.0.448. It works fine on the Windows 10 machine, doesn't work on the two Windows 7 machines. What changed in version 2.1.0.448? 

Improvements/Features

• Created a proprietary driver to improve speed.

And on both Windows 7 machines, a red Windows pop-up when trying to install the driver says "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software". While it does go ahead and installs, I do not think it installed correctly or runs properly and that is why we are getting the "Failure to connect". It doesn't look like this driver was properly tested with Windows 7.

Screen Shot 20-11-23 at 08.50 AM.PNG

Thanks; since you can't run the Support Tool, please try running FRST alone as described in this topic and attach both logs from the tool to your next reply.  I'm not aware of any issues with Windows 7 compatibility and we have several members who still use 7 as their primary operating system, so my suspicion is that whatever is affecting the Support Tool's ability to run on your system may also be impacting the installation of Malwarebytes Privacy.

1 hour ago, gatortail said:

There appears to be a MS Update missing from your device that recognizes the signature.  You can choose "Install this driver software anyway".

All available OS updates have been done. As I said on my initial post, I did choose "Install this driver software anyway". It did install on both machines, but still doesn't work on

either machine.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Thanks; since you can't run the Support Tool, please try running FRST alone as described in this topic and attach both logs from the tool to your next reply.  I'm not aware of any issues with Windows 7 compatibility and we have several members who still use 7 as their primary operating system, so my suspicion is that whatever is affecting the Support Tool's ability to run on your system may also be impacting the installation of Malwarebytes Privacy.

What Support Tool? Didn't see anything about not running a support tool.

What is the FRST and what does it do? When you go there it is flagged as questionable software. 

Apologies; there's another thread where a user had problems with Malwarebytes Privacy and trying to run the Malwarebytes Support Tool; FRST is a tool used for diagnosing issues, performing repairs and manually removing malware.

I did notice that you have User Account Control disabled, and that certainly could create problems since Malwarebytes Privacy, like most modern Windows software applications, has been engineered with UAC compliance and compatibility in mind.  I would recommend re-enabling UAC and setting it back to its default; details on doing so may be found here.  Once UAC is restored to its default, restart the system and try uninstalling Malwarebytes Privacy, making sure that the kill switch function described in this support article is set to off before doing so, then restart the system once more and reinstall Malwarebytes Privacy.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

I have a Win10 machine with UAC disabled and it works just fine. If the issue was just UAC, it shouldn't work either.

UAC has a function in a business environment where IT professionals need to make sure that the employees do not install or do something that is detrimental to the company. It also may have a useful purpose for parents to make sure what their kids download. But for the large majority, UAC is not needed, intrusive, and a general PITA, and I have no desire to enable it.

Privacy worked with UAC off just fine...until this last release when the "proprietary driver" was added.

UAC has a function in consumer environments as well.  The purpose is to stop malware and unauthorized applications and processes from accessing restricted resources and locations on the system.  Running a system with it disabled poses a serious risk to the system's overall protection, but that is of course your choice.  I would still recommend giving it a try, at least for the install to see if it makes any difference, because if permissions have anything to do with the problems the driver is having during installation, enabling it could solve the problem.

The driver is digitally signed and passes signature enforcement/verification on my systems and we've got other users running Windows 7 and the latest version of Malwarebytes Privacy without any issues, so whatever is going on, it's either unique to certain systems, configurations or third party applications.

That's unfortunate.  Did you create a support ticket with the helpdesk yet?

If not, did you try disabling the kill switch option and restarting yet to see if that makes any difference?  If not, please try doing so to see it that helps.  You might also try turning the kill switch off, then uninstalling Privacy, restarting the system, then reinstalling the latest version again.  Once that is done, test to see if you're able to connect.

• Root Admin

Thank you @mmdavis

I'm simply trying to assist you quicker as the Heldesk is very busy.

There are a few errors in the system I'd like to try to address and clean up to see if it helps.

Application errors:
==================

Error: (12/02/2020 05:01:16 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07
Faulting module name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000004395b
Faulting process id: 0xb1c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6c8f68bdd7200
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Report Id: e5bb4db0-34e9-11eb-bcdb-107b447c9488

Error: (12/02/2020 05:00:31 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (EventID: 100) (User: )
Description: Client application registered 2 identical instances of service rHXrd3C90/sZ71AD//ThRA==._http._tcp.local. port 58082.

Error: (12/02/2020 04:58:35 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07
Faulting module name: mDNSResponder.exe, version: 3.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x4e5dcc07
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000004395b
Faulting process id: 0xb00
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6c8a8ee889e00
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Report Id: 85f125d0-34e9-11eb-a0fb-107b447c9488

Error: (12/02/2020 04:47:06 PM) (Source: System Restore) (EventID: 8193) (User: )
Description: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\{02690f05-5e8d-2477-e508-6012dacd3446}\mbtun.inf" "9" "6e8e65c2f" "00000000000003E0" "WinSta0\Default" "0000000000000524" "208" "C:\Program Files\MBTunnel\mbtun"; Description = Device Driver Package Install: Malwarebytes Network adapters; Error = 0x80070422).

I'd like to ask you to please uninstall Bonjour via the Control Panel

What exactly is mDNSResponder.exe? (Bonjour)

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/what-is-mdnsresponder-exe-and-why-is-it-running/

MDNSResponder, also known as Bonjour, is Apple’s native zero-configuration networking process for Mac that was ported over to Windows and associated with MDNSNSP.DLL.  On a Mac or iOS device, this program is used for networking nearly everything.  On Windows, this process is only necessary for sharing libraries via iTunes and other Mac applications like the Apple TV that were ported to Windows.  Bonjour allows different computers running iTunes to communicate with each other regardless of network configuration, this is because it enables automatic network discovery.

What Is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6456/what-is-mdnsresponder.exe-bonjour-and-how-can-i-uninstall-or-remove-it/

The newer driver for Privacy shows an error trying to install. Let's try doing a clean removal of Malwarebytes and Privacy using our tool, but please DO NOT reinstall either product just yet.

Let's assume that ESET NOD32 is not intercepting or causing an issue. Please temporarily disable ESET NOD32  and do the following.

1. Right click over the Malwarebytes tray icon and exit out of Malwarebytes
  2. Right click over the Privacy tray icon and exit out of the program
  3. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool and save it to your computer if needed (you appear to already have a copy so can skip this step)
  4. Locate and run the MBST tool and agree to the EULA
  5. On the left side click on the Advanced tab
  6. In the middle select the Clean panel and click the Clean button
  7. It will remove all installations of Malwarebytes software and offer to reinstall Malwarebytes on restart - please do not allow it to reinstall, cancel the reinstall
  8. After the computer restart ensure that ESET NOD32 is again temporarily disabled
  9. Run the MBST tool again and in the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  10. In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  11. In the Gather Logs confirmation pop-up window, click OK. A zip file appears on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip please attach that log on your next reply
  12. Check and make sure you now re-enable ESET NOD32 antivirus

image.png

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information
  • Root Admin

Thank you. The tool had an issue updating and getting the latest FRST logs.

Please restart the computer one more time. Then run FRST and make sure you place a check mark on the Additions.txt check box and attach both new logs. If there is any error trying to attach the log, please zip it up if needed.

Make sure you temporarily disable ESET again too.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you