MWB Privacy Crashing BSOD

Geo-Deb
Go to solution Solved by Geo-Deb,

Since the latest update of Version 2.1.0.448 Malwarebytes Privacy when you start up and turn ON auto Crashes to BSOD with Fatal Exception Failed to run - mbtun.exe

Have attached Windows Minidump logs and mbst-Grab files below also haven't heard back from Support ticket #3275120

Is very annoying to have to have BSOD every time I want to use Privacy, waiting patiently to hear back from you guys

Regards George

mbst-grab-results.zip 112020-10671-01.dmp.zip

• Root Admin

Hello @Geo-Deb

Looking at the logs it looks like it's failing to find one of the required files. Can you please do the following clean removal of all Malwarebytes programs and then reinstall.

Please temporarily disable other security software while running this process and have patience as it can take a little bit of time to complete the removal and reinstall.

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Thank you

2 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Geo-Deb

Looking at the logs it looks like it's failing to find one of the required files. Can you please do the following clean removal of all Malwarebytes programs and then reinstall.

Please temporarily disable other security software while running this process and have patience as it can take a little bit of time to complete the removal and reinstall.

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Thank you

I will give the Clean install another go, will also due a Windows  %Temp folder clean out first too, that can be an issues sometimes with old temp files left behind ect 

Than you George

• Root Admin

Okay, I've submitted your logs for review. One of the logs does show missing file but perhaps one of the other logs may explain why or what else may be causing the issue.

It is Friday though and past normal work ours here on the West Coast so I would not expect a reply until at least some time on Monday, but if I do hear back any sooner I'll let you know.

Thank you

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

From an elevated Admin command prompt you can run the following as well before you reinstall.

SFC /SCANNOW 

Then run this one

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth 

Ran both the Elevated Admin cmd promts, did another clean removal/install of MWB / Privacy using support tool, run Privacy and got BSOD again, Fatal Exception Failed - mbtun.sys , then when system rebooted got System error as seen in screenshot below, also have added new grab-results below too,

Than You George

PrivacyMWB-Screenshot 2020-11-21 144923.jpg

mbst-grab-results.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having a BSOD problem also. It happens when I try to connect "Privacy". It started immediately after I updated my Windows 10 machine for the November updates on 11/30/2020. What I noticed is that immediately after the update a "Meet Now" icon showed up in the system tray. Doing an internet search shows that Microsoft included "Meet Now" with the November update to improve Skype's conferencing function. Attachment 1) shows "MBTun Userspace Tunnel" driver that was installed (see yellow highlight). Attachment 2) showed this is to be "mbtun.inf_amd_64_add87295013a7c3b". Attachment 3) shows what happens when I try to connect Privacy. I get a BSOD and the machine restarts. There are a number of error messages but the one I get most often is "What Failed: mbtun.sys". It looks like to me that in updating Skype's "Meet Now", Microsoft messed with the mbtun driver.

In this post, nikhils solved a BSOD issue for Geo-Deb that occurred this past November (due to the November update?). Could this be a solution for me? FYI, like Geo-Deb, II did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Privacy and Malwarebytes Premium and the issue remains.

Thanks,

sahalen

1) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020146.jpg

2) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020238.jpg

3) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020330.jpg

I am having a BSOD problem also. It happens when I try to connect "Privacy". It started immediately after I updated my Windows 10 machine for the November updates on 11/30/2020. What I noticed is that immediately after the update a "Meet Now" icon showed up in the system tray. Doing an internet search shows that Microsoft included "Meet Now" with the November update to improve Skype's conferencing function. Attachment 1) shows "MBTun Userspace Tunnel" driver that was installed (see yellow highlight). Attachment 2) showed this is to be "mbtun.inf_amd_64_add87295013a7c3b". Attachment 3) shows what happens when I try to connect Privacy. I get a BSOD and the machine restarts. There are a number of error messages but the one I get most often is "What Failed: mbtun.sys". It looks like to me that in updating Skype's "Meet Now", Microsoft messed with the mbtun driver.

In this post, nikhils solved a BSOD issue for Geo-Deb that occurred this past November (due to the November update?). Could this be a solution for me? FYI, like Geo-Deb, II did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Privacy and Malwarebytes Premium and the issue remains.

Thanks,

sahalen

1) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020146.jpg

2) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020238.jpg

3) Screenshot 2020-12-01 020330.jpg