Malwarebytes Crashed Microsoft Word During Saving

Hi,

I have found a few topics related to Malwarebytes causing issues with Microsoft Word but I would like to ask where can I find the file that I tried to save when Word 2019 crashed because Malwarebytes blocked it during the save process.

It happened as follows: I wrote the document, clicked Close Word so the save window popped up, I did not like the default location so I clicked Other Options and in that moment Malwarebytes took action and Word crashed. I am unable to find the document now and desperately need it as soon as possible. It will not be simple to re-create it now. If your solution works I am willing to send you a donation via PayPal. The file is not in "Restore Unsaved Documents" folder option.

Thank you,

Michal

log.txt

log 2.txt

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

5 minutes ago, Solun said:

have found a few topics related to Malwarebytes causing issues with Microsoft Word but I would like to ask where can I find the file that I tried to save when Word 2019 crashed because Malwarebytes blocked it during the save process.

-Software Information-
Version: 4.2.3.96
Components Version: 1.0.1104
Update Package Version: 1.0.32998
License: Trial

I suggest updating Malwarebytes and restart the computer. The exploit protection blocked the activity but should not have deleted anything.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I suggest updating Malwarebytes and restart the computer. The exploit protection blocked the activity but should not have deleted anything.

Thank you for the answer but I am using the latest version, I installed the program yesterday. Word just closed and disappeared and I cannot locate my original file, this never happened before, in case of crashes the file is usually in temp folder but not now. It is also not in Malwarebytes quarantine (probably because a process was stopped, not any file).

Solun -
I've been having the same issue since I updated this morning. First, I couldn't open Outlook. I just turned off Malwarebytes outlook scan or whatever.
Next I have been writing all evening for a tight deadline. Oh, opps! Malwarebytes closed every Word Doc I had open - including the paper I was writing.
And that bot message to download a repair tool, blah, blah, blah....releasing updates that work is Malwarebytes job. I don't have time to muck around with that.
I hope MWB comes up with a real fix for this by morning.

Solun - I found my documents. I opened a new Word doc and found my lost documents in the Auto-Save panel on the far left.  I was able to SAVE AS.
            I was NOT able to OPEN the files from the AutoSave panel. Clicking Open just caused Malwarebytes to instantly close every document again.

Porthos - Maybe Solun is in a different time zone than you are......

15 minutes ago, clover said:

Porthos - Maybe Solun is in a different time zone than you are......

Possible, But when an update is released you have to manually update to get it right away.

19 minutes ago, clover said:

I was NOT able to OPEN the files from the AutoSave panel. Clicking Open just caused Malwarebytes to instantly close every document again.

Can you please collect and upload as an attachment the diagnostic data using our MBST?

• Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  • Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

I just noticed that a new update was available (not the one I installed Monday morning, something new). I installed that update.
I'll be getting back into WORD in a few minutes. Hopefully that was a fix. If not, I will run and upload the diagnostic data, but not sure what time I can do that.
I'm writing and I have a deadline.

2 minutes ago, clover said:

Hopefully that was a fix. If not, I will run and upload the diagnostic data, but not sure what time I can do that.
I'm writing and I have a deadline.

Also,

There is a known issue which causes MS Office to be blocked incorrectly due to an issue with non-default settings.  To fix the issue, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then go to the Security tab and under the Exploit Protection section make sure that the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to off, then click the Advanced settings button and click on the Restore Defaults button and wait around 30 seconds to allow the protection to reset itself, then test to see if the problem is fixed.

The images below should help if needed:

Advanced.png.8e1e1e0c1a63e191cd8ce7afead3432f.png

Defaults.png.31cc5ece3df1c4e7055fc95a72477ace.png

Please let us know if that fixes the issue or not.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, clover said:

Hey, sorry for the delay. I had to get a few hours of sleep. Here is the .zip file.

I just opened a new Word Doc and was able to save it without issues. Maybe the 2nd update I ran late last night fixed the problem. I'll let you know if I have Word issues as I am working today.
Thanks!

The log you posted is the correct log but it shows Malwarebytes is not installed.

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

Also,

There is a known issue which causes MS Office to be blocked incorrectly due to an issue with non-default settings.  To fix the issue, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then go to the Security tab and under the Exploit Protection section make sure that the option to block penetration testing attacks is set to off, then click the Advanced settings button and click on the Restore Defaults button and wait around 30 seconds to allow the protection to reset itself, then test to see if the problem is fixed.

The images below should help if needed:

Advanced.png.8e1e1e0c1a63e191cd8ce7afead3432f.png

Defaults.png.31cc5ece3df1c4e7055fc95a72477ace.png

Please let us know if that fixes the issue or not.

Thanks

Hi again,

Thanks for your time. I already uninstalled the software but I know I DID manually turn on the "Block penetration testing attacks" option in settings. I don't know if it caused the problem but if it did, there needs to be more information about this option in settings because there is no info there and I think everyone wants protection from attacks, no matter what kind of. And Malwarebytes considering Microsoft Office to be doing an attack is crazy - if that is the case. The software was supposed to have an AI but it seems completely stupid if it blocks this. I will not be testing with the option on/off, I am a regular user and not a security expert. Anyway, I have returned to default Windows Security that served me well, now I know I should not think about stupid things like trying a 3rd party security software. I did not locate my text (after all, saving it failed) so have to create it again tonight.

Thanks,

Michal

Yes, they recently changed how the UI reacts to enabling the penetration testing function so that it displays a warning about the setting.  Penetration testing is not any sort of real attack, it is a test performed by a professional white hat pen tester whose job it is to assess the security of a business, government agency or similar organization where there exists a risk of infiltration by anyone looking to do harm or exfiltrate data.

The following is from the release notes for the most recent update:

• AE Pentesting mode setting has been updated and defaulted to off
  • Added warning for Penetration Testing option as an advanced setting