Hi, i'm trying to remove malware by doing a clean install of windows.

As the title reads, i've installed Windows Media Creation Tools in order to erase my drives, I did so after running numerous virus removal tools that were recommended. I did so on the same PC because i'm struggling to find someone that has a clean device I can make a bootable device on. 

But, when trying to boot into the media creation tools after setting it up, this happened. It's what I can only describe as upside down hearts. 

For context, my mouse had been moving on its own, flickering, among other things. I can only assume someone aggressively hijacked it and I know exactly why (Personal reasons).  Would this truly be the works of someone, or is this a known issue outside of such?

Spoiler

Spoiler

20201116_091014.jpg

Hiya Requiemes and welcome to Malwarebytes,

The screen you post seems to indicate your system is trying to boot into Windows from a Hard Drive. The Media Creation Tool should be installed either to USB flash drive or a DVD, with the tool plugged in or inserted to DVD device your Boot order must be changed so you are booting from USB or DVD first and not Hard Drive.

Thank you,

Kevin...

2 hours ago, kevinf80 said:

Hiya Requiemes and welcome to Malwarebytes,

The screen you post seems to indicate your system is trying to boot into Windows from a Hard Drive. The Media Creation Tool should be installed either to USB flash drive or a DVD, with the tool plugged in or inserted to DVD device your Boot order must be changed so you are booting from USB or DVD first and not Hard Drive.

Thank you,

Kevin...

Hi, i've been using the USB Flash Disk 1100, Partition 1. Is this not the Flash drive? Please point me to the correct place, thanks!

20201116_153038.jpg

At boot whater is first in the list will be loaded, windows boot manager is set to load the system on its hard drive. The image you posted initially suggests that windows is trying to boot.

Windows Media Creation Tool has its own boot loader so has to be first in the list to load...

What happened to the original Windows OS is it corrupt...?

15 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

At boot whater is first in the list will be loaded, windows boot manager is set to load the system on its hard drive. The image you posted initially suggests that windows is trying to boot.

Windows Media Creation Tool has its own boot loader so has to be first in the list to load...

What happened to the original Windows OS is it corrupt...?

What i'm doing is manually selecting it in that list you're seeing through BIOS. As in i'm clicking on the the USB in the list. The windows installation screen appeared after this graphical glitch, so am I mistaken and it's still loading from the hard drive?  

The original windows OS works, it has flickering issues and troubleshooting (Dism commands, graphics drivers rollback/update, corrupt troubleshooting, etc.) Hasn't alleviated the issue, so i'm reinstalling.

If the original OS works remove USB devices, boot your system as far as it will go.

From PC Desktop select the start Flag (bottom lefthand corner of screen)

Hold down the "Shift key" of your keyboard, keep it down and select "Restart"

Your PC should open to the "Choose an Option" window.... release shift key.

From that window select "Troubleshoot"

In the new window, select "Reset your PC" a fresh install will happen. Or, select "Refresh your PC" to make a fresh install but save your data...
Edited by kevinf80

3 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

If the original OS works remove USB devices, boot your system as far as it will go.

From PC Desktop select the start Flag (bottom lefthand corner of screen)

Hold down the "Shift key" of your keyboard, keep it down and select "Restart"

Your PC should open to the "Choose an Option" window.... release shift key.

From that window select "Troubleshoot"

In the new window, select "Reset your PC" a fresh install will happen. Or, select "Refresh your PC" to make a fresh install but save your data...

Hi, i've already reset my PC and chosen the 'remove everything' option. I've actually done it about 5 different times and logged into multiple microsoft accounts. But the issue still persists as tedious as it sounds. 

This is why i'm trying to do a clean install.

As far as i`m aware if you are going to boot from the USB with Media Creation Tool then USB device must be first in the boot order. You must save that change then exit the BIOS. If Windows Boot Manager is first it will always try to load the Windows OS.

On my own system and any that I fix I always change the boot order so that USB/DVD is first in boot order. If there is no USB flash drive or DVD inserted then the next in list SSD or HD would be loaded and booted. If a USB is plugged in with MCT then if first in list that would boot, same goes for DVD

From your initial image that is exactly what is happening and windows is trying to load, also the glichy screen would suggest a possible video card problem...

2 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

As far as i`m aware if you are going to boot from the USB with Media Creation Tool then USB device must be first in the boot order. You must save that change then exit the BIOS. If Windows Boot Manager is first it will always try to load the Windows OS.

On my own system and any that I fix I always change the boot order so that USB/DVD is first in boot order. If there is no USB flash drive or DVD inserted then the next in list SSD or HD would be loaded and booted. If a USB is plugged in with MCT then if first in list that would boot, same goes for DVD

From your initial image that is exactly what is happening and windows is trying to load, also the glichy screen would suggest a possible video card problem...

Is this not Windows Media Creation Tool's screen? Is there also a guide on moving it? Again i'm manually clicking the usb in the boot list, i'm using an MSI motherboard.

This was newly made not too long ago so i'm hoping to rule out any software before moving on to hardware. 

I also tried using the USB flashdrive option that didn't use partition 1 and instead of the graphics glitch you see there, there was this black screen with a white line on the top left, is this normal? 

20201117_042907.jpg

20201117_044320.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinf80 said:

Looking at it, i'm not sure wht I did wrong. I removed all partitians as shown, allowed windows to create its own by clicking next, but after windows setup launched by moving the drive forward, the screen is pushed together.

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks