On 5/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, MAXBAR1 said:

@treed I am now able to say, at least as far as I'm concerned, that the problem of the Apps, whose icon danced at startup for several seconds, has been solved with the latest version.
For several days it has not occurred anymore whereas before it happened very often (not all the times but almost)
No longer any app has given the problem, not even those of Office which are notoriously among the most complex, at least among those installed on my Mac.

Only the problem of energy consumption remains. I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to deal with it.

Thanks for everything

Have a nice weekend

Massimiliano

The icon dancing issue stopped for me too. But instead of having a dancing icon, the dot appears below the app's icon but it still doesn't launch.

6 hours ago, Omoeba said:

The icon dancing issue stopped for me too. But instead of having a dancing icon, the dot appears below the app's icon but it still doesn't launch.

In my case, both the point under the icon and the open app are practically always immediate.
The app rarely dances two / three seconds (not like before it even danced 15/20 seconds several times a month), but this seems to be due to the fact, as @alvarnell wrote to me in this discussion, in Big Sur that every now and then it carries out an anti-malware check (the slowdown occurs only more very rarely with the heavier app, in my specific Word and Excel)

Edited by MAXBAR1
Correct sentence poorly expressed

@Omoeba

I can only think, not being a developer, that it is a problem related to your HW / SW configuration, and maybe of some other user (but it is not said)

In the summer of 2019 a problem had happened to me, and very few other users, with the 3.9 update of Malwarebytes for Mac (in that specific case the problem occurred when the Mac was restarted) and the developers, carrying out remote tests on the my Mac, they fixed it in a few days. Even now I thank them for the effort they put into it.

Your case may therefore be similar.

I hope I was helpful

Good day

Massimiliano

15 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

@Omoeba

I can only think, not being a developer, that it is a problem related to your HW / SW configuration, and maybe of some other user (but it is not said)

In the summer of 2019 a problem had happened to me, and very few other users, with the 3.9 update of Malwarebytes for Mac (in that specific case the problem occurred when the Mac was restarted) and the developers, carrying out remote tests on the my Mac, they fixed it in a few days. Even now I thank them for the effort they put into it.

Your case may therefore be similar.

I hope I was helpful

Good day

Massimiliano

Possibly, but the issue hasn't occurred again so I can't carry out additional tests.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've reproduced the app launch issue on an Intel MBP so it is unrelated to M1 compatibility. There instead seems to be a compatibility issue with network Time Machine backups since the issue occurred on both machines only when a backup is running.

6 hours ago, Omoeba said:

I've reproduced the app launch issue on an Intel MBP so it is unrelated to M1 compatibility. There instead seems to be a compatibility issue with network Time Machine backups since the issue occurred on both machines only when a backup is running.

As far as I know, Malwarebytes (at least the Mac version) does not have, at least still, a web protection and therefore should not affect network traffic.

Personally I don't use Time Machine, and therefore I cannot make checks, (much less wireless) as I back up of the important data in duplicate on large pendrive (the data is the only thing that interests me because in case of problems I always have Favorite to make a clean installation of both the OS and the apps - but this is obviously a personal choice)

By now, since the native M1 version has been released, even the problems I had reported are almost completely disappeared, except for short very much sporadic raids (mostly with the release of the new update

2 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

As far as I know, Malwarebytes (at least the Mac version) does not have, at least still, a web protection and therefore should not affect network traffic.

Correct that web protection isn't included (yet) but that doesn't mean there can't be network issues. Web is only a minor component of overall network traffic.

I think we will have to wait on dev testing after they have had a chance to factor in the new info concerning use on an Intel Mac.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to sound off here that I'm experiencing the exact same network issues as reported.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro. I only noticed that it might be a Malwarebytes issue when the background process stopped running and...amazing...no more bouncing app openings or laggy new browser tabs!

Happy to provide any debug logs etc, but I would really love a resolution to this.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Omoeba said:

The high CPU usage appears to be resolved by 4.13.2 but the app launching issue remains. I'll start a new thread to gather my findings on the app launching issue since it's proven to be unrelated to M1 compatibility.

If you're using Big Sur or later (I've been using the Monterey beta for a long time) you should know that apps often bounce back longer because Apple checks for malware and vulnerabilities not only at the first opportunity but almost every time and the heavier apps (from Office, Adobe suite and obviously professional graphics/video editing) obviously undergo a check like the others but being very big the time is longer.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

On 9/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, Omoeba said:

Yes, but Malwarebytes shouldn't affect the duration of that check.

In my specific case I don't notice particular differences
Maybe it's because I don't use particularly heavy software (not even office, in fact I use iWork) and I don't have any application that exceeds the GB (even Pages and Numbers don't even come close).
I'll attach a screenshot with the apps I use in descending order of size (these are the biggest, after which it only goes down)
That's probably why I don't see the problems you keep mentioning for a long time now

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1523570865_Schermata2021-09-05alle17_33_32.thumb.jpg.87f4a5ae23382573dccaecfc7ebbf8d3.jpg

Mine is a MacBook Air M1 with 16GB of universal memory and 256GB of SSD