Recent update for forced reboot

I installed the Malwarebytes update yesterday 11/12/2020 and was quite upset when it force rebooted my computer.  Normally an application should enable you to reboot later. Instead, Malwarebytes said you have 10 minutes then your computer will reboot, save your work.  Well, I was in the middle of several tasks and still working on saving work when Malwarebytes simply rebooted my computer.

You guys need to stop this. 10 minutes isn't enough for everyone to save what they are doing, and you shouldn't reboot the computer in this way. Choice of reboot now and reboot forced in 10 minutes are not the proper choices!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, greg0422 said:

Saying that a restart will be required and saying that your computer will be force restarted are two completely different things.

I understand that. But before the installation you are advised to close your work. You have a choice then to not install at that time.

Edited by Porthos

Again, please read my post carefully.

In almost all cases software installation will say save your work a reboot might be required.  The typical result is that after the update you are told you must reboot to finish and then you can choose when to reboot.

In this case a reboot is not "might be" it is "will be" and "will be forced" so the messaging here is insufficient and the process is completely wrong.  The software should not simply reboot your computer like this.

18 minutes ago, greg0422 said:

The software should not simply reboot your computer like this.

I do get it I do. And I read it and so has staff as this has been a "hot" topic lately.

I believe the issue here is the software will not be properly protecting the computer until after the restart. Full protection is important.

18 minutes ago, greg0422 said:

In this case a reboot is not "might be" it is "will be" and "will be forced" 

The might is there because if all programs are closed including browsers a restart might not be needed.

Edited by Porthos

I think you need to stop making excuses here that the message given before starting the update is somehow sufficient.  It isn't all all sufficient.  The time given to close your work is also not sufficient, but the software shouldn't be requiring you to close your work in the first place. If the update will not work without applications being closed and a reboot, then this needs to be spelled out clearly and probably in large bold font.

I happen to work in the software industry myself, at Microsoft, and I'll tell you without any question whatsoever that if Microsoft started asking people to update their computer and then gave them 10 minutes after the update to save their work before forcing a reboot, we would be utterly crucified online.  The fact that Malwarebytes did this made me angry enough that I found this forum and created an account specifically to complain about this. That might give you a clue that THIS IS UNACCEPABLE!!! 

Stop this behavior of the software immediately, or plan on losing some customers.

If a message would have been included that your computer will be forced to reboot after the update is complete, I wouldn't have run the update, and I wouldn't have been so upset.  There was no such message.

When I saw that I had 10 minutes to save my work, I frantically began closing windows and finding locations to save all the various files I had open.  I was in the middle of saving the last few files when the computer restarted and I lost that work.  As you can imagine, this is pretty upsetting.  I don't think Malwarebytes wants to treat their customers like this, so please fix the problem

...and don't deny there is one.