Forced Restart on MBAM Update

I just updated MBAM to version 4.2.3 and at the conclusion of the update process, I was prompted to restart immediately or my system would be restarted without my consent in 10 minutes. This behavior is wildly unacceptable, openly user-hostile, and will inevitably result in data loss. If this isn't changed by the next version, I'm switching to a different AV package that isn't designed with baked-in disrespect for users. There is no situation in which it's appropriate to forcibly shut down a user's computer, which could well be in the middle of a long compilation or rendering task. The traditional "restart now" and "restart later" options are the only acceptable way to handle this situation.

• Like 2

• Staff

Greetings,

Thank you for providing your feedback, it will be passed on to the Product team for consideration.  I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the forced restart.

My personal take on it is that, while I agree that I do not like forced restarts, such has not only become typical for Windows 10 itself with Windows Updates (though some versions provide the option to defer updating), but if a critical patch for a security product is pending a reboot it could leave the system vulnerable or potentially unstable until the system is restarted and this might be at least part of the reasoning behind forcing the system restart.  Again, that's just my personal assessment of the situation though, and I cannot speak for the Product team or Developers.

I personally consider any software update subject to a restart. Windows and Malwarebytes included. One should never do one with other work etc. going on.

Many of the support calls I have had were because one put off restarting like for an example after a Windows monthly update. Restart fixed the issue. Even more so with computers having fast start enabled.

Too many users will put off a restart if given an option  to do just that. Might be for hours or days or even more.

I have quite fast PC, normally I update things all at once, and then by the end of it, restart once to finish of all the updates in progress.
Now having quite a fast PC saved me here. As I was doing some big windows updates as well.
We all know how unstable windows updates can be, especially if they are abruptly cut off by your 10 min BS.
You can quite literately break a working OS with that sort of behavior.  Forcing a complete OS re-install along with all the crap that comes with it.

This HAS to change, or mbam is not even worth using when compared to others that dont have this 10 minute BS.

If people arent smart enough to reboot their computers before calling for support then I put those people into the same category as someone who doesnt check to see if something is plugged in before assuming it's broken and calling "the guy".  My computer is my computer.  Do NOT force anything upon me and @digmorcrusher said it... warn me multiple times after the fact if you like... warn me before I install that you are going to require a restart and ask me if I wish to continue the installation, but under no circumstances should a piece of software ever assume that it knows more than me about what is happening on my computer and just force something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dprout69 said:

warn me before I install that you are going to require a restart and ask me if I wish to continue the installation

It has been warning in the bottom right pop up when alerting to a new version that it may require a restart. With an option to install later.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It has been warning in the bottom right pop up when alerting to a new version that it may require a restart. With an option to install later.

This is hardly an excuse when that's been perfectly standard verbiage for software updates for decades, and in near-universally means that the software requires a restart to function correctly, not that the software will require you to restart.

1 minute ago, cidisguise said:

This is hardly an excuse

As I do not work for Malwarebytes, I am not trying to make excuses. I am pointing out any and all software installs can require a restart and if so you should not install the software when you have anything open at the time. Do it when you can have all programs closed.

@Porthos - Apples and Oranges.  Major difference between between "we're installing something and you MIGHT need to restart" and "we are shutting down down your computer in 10 minutes and there is nothing you can do about it."  One implies I will have control over the process and I'll be able to shut down MY computer in a controlled manner.  The other one may occur if I get up and walk away from my computer and you do it anyway.

Hi, can somebody show me which part of Malwarebates' Terms and Conditions allows the company to restart the user's machine against their will? Not even Microsoft would dare to restart your computer without any form of consent. By the way, is it normal that I get a ticket (- Malwarebytes Support Ticket 3263327 on 11/11) - but nobody is answering?

There was a time we could trust Malwarebytes.

Thank you

O