Malware in pre-installed "wireless update"

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my dad's smartphone. It's a low budget one: Brondi 730 4g HD. There's a pre-installed "wireless update" wich installs malwares like trojan. These trojan are app names as "view", "supli", "Qzo", "prag"... And they not only create a lot of boring pop-up, they also stel money from the credit. In fact, they send independently SMSs without any action from the user! This "wireless update" can't be uninstalled from the smartphone... I also want to report this problem because I think it's dangerous that there are smartphone infected from the start! I know that this problem has been found also in the U.S.A. for some low budget smartphone. So is there a solution or I have to change the smartphone? 

20201022_132428.jpg

20201022_132433.jpg

20201022_132421.jpg

Hi @Rogerste97,

Yes, there is indeed a solution.  

You can use this method to uninstall for current user (details in link below):

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/216616-removal-instructions-for-adups/

Warning: Make sure to read Restoring apps onto the device (without factory reset) in the rare case you need to revert/restore app.

Also, if you like, I can double check that there isn't any other leftover malware if you send me an Apps Report.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1. Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2. Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included.

At this point, it would be very helpful to mention you are submitting via recommendation from the Malwareybtes forum.  This allows our support staff to know where to direct it.

By sending the Apps Report, you will create a ticket in our support system.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

Nathan

Thanks, yeah I've seen the guide. I will choose between that or directly changing the smartphone. Sorry for the question but do you know why there are these problems? What's the purpose of selling an infected smartphone? Because I don't think there's a profit for the brand, on the contrary there's an image damage. Is because the brand uses also other companies (for the manufacture of the smartphone) who indeed insert the malware?

Hi @Rogerste97,

That's a great question, and one that has many layers along with many things we just don't know.  My guess is that manufacturers are paid to put these preinstalled malware on devices, and then revenue is gained by the malware via ad revenue like the case of HiddenAds.  They don't care much about damage to the brand because the brand is never well known, and they can just change the brand if one becomes bad enough.  They know that if they offer a phone for a cheap enough price, people will take the bait.  Especially when phone prices for well known brands are getting more outrageous.  It's frustrating that if you want a budget phone, many of the options come with preinstalled malware.  It's unfortunate, and something I've been fighting against for years.

My personal opinion — buy refurbished phones from reputable manufacturers via reputable market places.  I have a refurbished Pixel 2 myself.

Nathan