Is the iOS MWB App Beta-Testing definitely finished?

Massimiliano

@treed , a question

At 22 hours from the end of the current beta I have not yet received notification/email of the renewal and TestFlight does not propose it.

Therefore I ask: is the Beta-Testing of the iOS MWB App definitely finished?

If yes, is the release on the Italian Appstore planned?

If not, what do you propose to replace it on iOS until its release?

Thanks

So, since you're certainly more experienced than I am in all things Apple, while waiting for @treed to say his, I'll ask you again: what do you propose to replace it on iOS until Malwarebytes is released on the AppStore where it is not present? 

And if the test is reopened, will those that were present be automatically inserted?

Thank you for your answer

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added question

Honestly, I've never run across anything as full featured as the Malwarebytes offering. I suppose it's possibly because Apple isn't happy with one or more of the features it contains. 

I have been using a couple of the free versions of some call blockers that preceded the Malwarebytes offering and have added another since then. But I have not used any other adblocker or web protection as I use my home based DNS (pi-hole) to take care of that. It does appear there are offerings for SMS blocking but I've not tried any of those.

The paid version of Malwarebytes for iOS is over nine months old and only "Available in US, Canada, and more", whatever "more" means these days (I know it doesn't include IT).

The two call blockers I used originally were Truecaller and Hiya. More recently I added RoboKiller. All are highly rated both in the App Store and in other reviews I've read. But I get so few calls and am not a typical iPhone user, so not in a position to judge their efficiency. I discourage everyone from calling my cell since it's usually turned off or in another room. I only use it when I'm out of the house, which is rare these days. So I'm really not the right person to ask about alternate apps for this purpose.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Actually of Malwarebytes for iOS I was using only Ad-Blocker (which I replaced with Ka-Block!) and Web Protection (which I don't know what to replace it with) even if in three years I was blocked on only one website whose link was included in an SMS from my old phone company about the residual credit check - the only time I clicked on a link (this maybe because I browse almost always on the same sites I know - rarely in fact even Safari's Google protection blocked me something).
Call Protection (due to Apple's restrictions) doesn't show a very visible warning and the only time it reported something to me (I discovered it by chance later - I set it to warn and not to block it) was a call from Apple support (which I requested through the official app).
SMS protection is now of little use, because SMS are hardly used anymore. The best protection in this sense is to read and trash them almost immediately (in my case I only get phone charging alerts or something more).

26 minutes ago, treed said:

We will work on getting a refreshed build into TestFlight by next week.

Do not worry. Attendo to the new invitation on TestFlight.

Inquiries about it:
In the meantime I ask you, considering that I have a bad habit of closing Apps, is it possible to make Malwarebytes work (protection and definitions update) even if it is not open in the background?

In addition, if the difficulty for new markets is call protection, in my case for example (I'm in Italy) I use only web protection and adblocker. In fact, due to the apple limitations you mentioned in a previous post, the fraudulent call notification is not so evident and SMS are practically extinct.

5 minutes ago, treed said:

Unfortunately, no, if you force quit the Malwarebytes app, that is essentially telling iOS that you're completely done with the app and don't want it getting any time in the background. There's no way for the app to do any updates in the background after that has been done.

Can you tell me then why apps like Messages, Mail, Whatsapp even completely closed and without enabling background updates always receive messages anyway?

Apple will tell you that you that you should only force close an iOS app when it misbehaves. In addition to killing background processes, it also shortens battery life to have to relaunch apps all the time.

34 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

Apple will tell you that you that you should only force close an iOS app when it misbehaves. In addition to killing background processes, it also shortens battery life to have to relaunch apps all the time.

This ^

It typically takes MUCH more CPU horsepower (and thus battery/power) to execute/launch a new app into memory than it does for it to sit idle in the background for hours.  Obviously it depends on what the background app is doing during that time, but most of the time this is true and you can observe what happens using a process/resource usage monitoring tool (like Process Explorer or Task Manager if you're on Windows) to see it for yourself.

• Staff
On 11/10/2020 at 10:57 AM, MAXBAR1 said:

Can you tell me then why apps like Messages, Mail, Whatsapp even completely closed and without enabling background updates always receive messages anyway?

For Messages and Mail, those are backed by the system itself. You can quit the app, but the system itself will still process push messages for those services.

I suspect that push messages are also the answer for WhatsApp, though I can't say for sure.

Otherwise, I'd agree with what's been said regarding force-quitting apps on iOS. It really doesn't do you any good unless the explicit intention is to ensure that a particular app does not get any background time, for some specific reason. It's definitely not a valid battery-saving technique.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, treed said:

It's definitely not a valid battery-saving technique.

Thanks for all the advice.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:56 AM, alvarnell said:

And if your primary reason for force-quitting an app is to stop background processing, that can be accomplished using Settings->General->Background App Refresh.

Thanks for the advice.

PS: @treed will a new invitation arrive or will the old one be reworked?

Thanks to all 

Edited by MAXBAR1