Blocking of a TLD

user4321
Go to solution Solved by gonzo,

A friend in the UK has just informed me that one of my client's site - www.34south.biz has been blocked as it is as "suspicious' by your software!

How dare you do this without investigating the site further or getting in touch with the owner! You are potentially causing an unknown quantity of potential visitors from visiting my client's restaurant. The only thing for sale is FOOD at a bricks and mortar shop - no client names, cell numbers, addresses or any other personal information is asked for.

Kindly get this whitelisted today.

Mike Kaplan

9 minutes ago, user4321 said:

Kindly get this whitelisted today.

This is a Browser Guard Block. I will Alert the proper team to investigate.

While we wait for staff. A note on Website blocked due to a suspicious top level domain (TLD)

Non-standard TLD's (biz/cc/info/xyz/online and so on) are commonly used for malicious purposes.  Malwarebytes err on the side of caution to assure that we are protecting our users. If our users encounter a block, they report it (as you did), it gets tested, and if it is determined to be safe, it gets whitelisted.

@gonzo

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

This is a Browser Guard Block. I will Alert the proper team to investigate.

While we wait for staff. A note on Website blocked due to a suspicious top level domain (TLD)

Non-standard TLD's (biz/cc/info/xyz/online and so on) are commonly used for malicious purposes.  Malwarebytes err on the side of caution to assure that we are protecting our users. If our users encounter a block, they report it (as you did), it gets tested, and if it is determined to be safe, it gets whitelisted.

@gonzo

Thank you. How long will it take ? Please let me know when it is white listed.

• Staff
  • Solution

The site has been whitelisted. Please allow 15-30 minutes for changes to take effect.

Quite agree with 4321. BG looked like an excellent tool but since it blocks ALL .biz domains, including many safe and legit sites, it needs to be sorted. By all means issue a warning, but most folk are aware of the propensity for .biz to be misused. My .biz is getting.loads of complaints about 'No access' - and I do not spam!

• Root Admin

Hello @mikephillips

Here are some of the reasons why it's safer to block by default and remove the block if found to be safe. 

https://cybersecurityventures.com/investigative-cybersecurity-the-webs-most-dangerous-top-level-domains/

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Typically no one has the time and resources to go out and daily scan for bad sites on the Web.

Staff - of course not. Where though is the option to 'OK' all .biz domains? Why not explain the option to 'click through' rather than fill the screen with 'this site spams'?

"safer to block by default and remove the block if found to be safe." Safer or easier? How does Mr Smith find out the site is 'safe' with this system without 'risking' his life?

I'm not knocking the idea, which is excellent - just the application.

40 minutes ago, mikephillips said:

Staff - of course not. Where though is the option to 'OK' all .biz domains? Why not explain the option to 'click through' rather than fill the screen with 'this site spams'?

"safer to block by default and remove the block if found to be safe." Safer or easier? How does Mr Smith find out the site is 'safe' with this system without 'risking' his life?

I'm not knocking the idea, which is excellent - just the application.

WELL SAID Mike Phillips! That's how it should be handled.

• Root Admin

It does click through and allows you to go forward if you choose to and to not block the site again in the future

image.png

As for adding an exclude for all .Biz then you might as well just disable Web Protection as sooner or later you're very likely to come across the wrong site that will potentially successfully attack your system by exploit or other means.

Setting a wildcard for all Websites would be frowned upon by anyone in the security field.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information
  • Staff

And it is definitely not easier for staff to have it this way.