Linux in pen drive

John Petrucci

Hello guys

Well, I installed the portable ubuntu in my pen drive. It was in some folders into of my pen drive.

I still run the risk of infecting my pen drive with a virus?

Thanks

Sorry for any error of English!

There is a possibility , but i do not think it is likely.

Are you just installing ubuntu on your USB flash drive to avoid infection? If so, you might be better off using Panda USB Vaccine or Flash Disinfector which disables the autorun functionality of the USB drive. It's important to note however, that viruses will still be able to get on your flash drive, they just won't be able to execute when inserted into a computer because these 2 utilities make the autorun.inf file read only which prevents viruses from changing it. So it would still serve you to scan your flash drive after using it in another computer that you do not trust.

Hope this helps, take care!

Are you just installing ubuntu on your USB flash drive to avoid infection? If so, you might be better off using Panda USB Vaccine or Flash Disinfector which disables the autorun functionality of the USB drive. It's important to note however, that viruses will still be able to get on your flash drive, they just won't be able to execute when inserted into a computer because these 2 utilities make the autorun.inf file read only which prevents viruses from changing it. So it would still serve you to scan your flash drive after using it in another computer that you do not trust.

Hope this helps, take care!

Hello

Thanks for your reply too :D

The problem is that I've used Panda USB and Flash Disinfector, but even so the pendrive was infected. So I installed Ubuntu. Because I thought that this could prevent infection in the media.

Anyway, thank you for your attention and tips.

Take care!

Cheers

Your windows viruses can't hurt linux because they are coded/programmed differently. Unless you have WINE (which allows you to run some windows programs in linux) only some more advanced trojans can use WINE to get into linux though, other than that you can download all the windows viruses and malware on linux you want and not get in any trouble.