Malwarebytes Blocks Network Printer

13 hours ago, R4Mal said:

MWB released an update which fixes the issue -- works fine for me now

Check for updates in settings

I do have version 4.2.2.95 component package 1.0.1096. To be really sure, I uninstalled MWB with the uninstall tool and reinstalled. Same result as before.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Like 1

I have just noticed that in Control Panel -> Printers & Devices (Windows 10 v2004) The HP 8600 plus is reported as being Not Connected (Printer is a Network printer on a wired network). Despite this, printing/scanning from the HP diagnostic tools, Chrome and other applications work fine after latest MalwareBytes upgrade to v4.2.2.95. I will try on a machine not running MalwareBytes to see if this status is just on this machine.

Same as Helter_Skelter. Bought a new printer today (Epson XP6100). Like previous printer connected via USB to ASUS router. Desktop without MWB had no problem installing new printer. Laptop with MWB does see the printer, but doesn't print. Same as networkstations. I can see them, bu no access. Disabling Web protection is not enough. Shut down MWB "fixes" the problem.

Have just been back on with a customer that was having issues last week with a HP Officejet and Web Protection.  

Following installing the latest update, the printer setup wizard would find the printer this time, it would however only install the fax not the actual printer.

The steps I took to get this working were as follows:

• Uninstall all HP printer drivers/software
  • Deactivate and uninstall MBAM
  • Ran CCleaner and removed left over HP/MBAM registry entries (take a backup first)
  • Re-installed HP software and drivers from website - printer installed and working fine
  • Re-installed latest MBAM and activate, reboot - printer still working ok so far

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, WorcsIT said:

The steps I took to get this working were as follows:

• Ran CCleaner and removed left over HP/MBAM registry entries (take a backup first)

Very sorry to hear you've encountered this issue. In general the latest update appears to work for most but not all users. We're continuing to work and analyze this issue so that we can resolve it for everyone.

On another note concerning Registry Cleaning. That really is not a recommended operation by anyone in the computer support industry now for a very long time. Please review the following post.

Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=126481

• Thanks 1

Running Endpoint Security for Business off of their new cloud platform. We did an update last night to the latest release.
Currently we are at 4.2.1.90 and the Printers are going offline constantly on random PCs at the office.

To resolve the issue temporarily, we Restart the Printer Spool service and it works. But sometimes it temporarily and not a permanent fix.

We need an updated version from Malwarebytes with a legit fix.

Agent Information  
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.844
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.32486
Protection Service Version: 4.2.1.90
Component Package Version: 1.0.1085
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.330

• Root Admin
21 hours ago, user18954 said:

Running Endpoint Security for Business off of their new cloud platform. We did an update last night to the latest release.
Currently we are at 4.2.1.90 and the Printers are going offline constantly on random PCs at the office.

To resolve the issue temporarily, we Restart the Printer Spool service and it works. But sometimes it temporarily and not a permanent fix.

We need an updated version from Malwarebytes with a legit fix.

Agent Information  
Endpoint Protection: 1.2.0.844
Endpoint Protection Protection Update: 1.0.32486
Protection Service Version: 4.2.1.90
Component Package Version: 1.0.1085
Asset Manager: 1.2.0.330

This is for the Business customer, not for Consumers.

Hello @user18954

Good news! We have now released an update that should resolve the Web Protection issue you are currently experiencing. This update is being metered out to machines, so you may notice that machines will begin to show the "Software Update Available" status icon next to the endpoint name automatically. The update will need to be rolled out manually to your machines by performing the action "Install Software Updates" once the machines have received the update.

• The new Protection Service Version is: 4.2.95
  • The new Component Package Version is: 1.0.1096

If you would like to force your machines to receive the update, you can select machines in bulk from the endpoint list and perform the action "Check for Software Updates", This will bypass metering and force machines to begin downloading the update to prepare for installation. Once the status icon "Software Update Available" appears, you can begin installation of the update in bulk by selecting machines and performing the action "Install Software Updates"

A reboot of the machine may be required for the update to complete and allow the Function Discovery Provider Service to restart for the effects to be seen. Those reboots will be handled based on the machine’s configured policy settings. If the policy allows for reboots to occur automatically, end-users will be prompted to do so. You may want to check your policy settings before installing the update to ensure that you allow end-users to postpone the reboot if necessary to avoid interrupting work.

Please note that protections will be stopped temporarily if a reboot is pending on a machine, when needed for the update to complete.

Once the installations have been completed, you can re-enable the Web Protection setting in your policy.

Please let us know if you continue to encounter any issues after re-enabling Web Protection or if you encounter issues with the update process.

Kind Regards,

• Like 1

• Root Admin

We believe this should be corrected at this point for all users. If you're still experiencing this issue please make sure you check for updates and have restarted your computer first.

If still having an issue please reinstall Malwarebytes following the directions from this article.

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

If that does not correct the issue for you then please run the following to gather logs for us from the affected machine and a brief description of your issue.

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

Thank you

1 hour ago, Flyers2020 said:

This is still an issue with 4.2.2.95. End users have to keep restarting their PC every day. 

Thanks for that feedback, however this is an older version, please upgrade to the latest version and see if this solves your issue. Latest version is 4.2.3.96 component package 1.0.1104

Click on Settings -> About -> Check for updates

Brother HL5470DW Printer is Offline to all users/PCs when using Malwarebytes 4.2.3.96 - Update package version 1.0.32696 - Component package version 1.0.1104 is used and in normal configuration. Printer is on a wired LAN.  Issue did not exist with version 4.2.1

Disabled - Exploit Protection (Block potentially malicious email attachments) does not fix issue
Disabled - Exploit Protection (Block penetration testing attacks) does not fix issue

Disabled - Real-Time Protection (Web Protection) does fix issue

Annoying security hole when used without protection and surfing the web.

1 minute ago, Flyers2020 said:

using the endpoint security business EDR. Nebula doesn't have the newest version yet. Disabling SNMP is the workaround but we cannot do that as we need SNMP enabled to collect printer information.

Oh, that explains it, I was not aware you were on the business version.

This an update to a previous posting. Update package version applied. Issue persists.

Brother HL5470DW Printer is Offline to all users/PCs when using Malwarebytes 4.2.3.96 - Update package version 1.0.32702 - Component package version 1.0.1104 is used and in normal configuration. Printer is on a wired LAN.  Issue did not exist with version 4.2.1

Disabled - Exploit Protection (Block potentially malicious email attachments) does not fix issue
Disabled - Exploit Protection (Block penetration testing attacks) does not fix issue

43 minutes ago, SpeedyClip said:

This an update to a previous posting. Update package version applied. Issue persists.

I had the same issue like you have and tested a new web module with positive results. I assume when it's validated internally, it will be incorporate in the next release.

This an update to a previous posting. Issue occurs on Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1 and Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, but Windows 10 does not!

Brother HL5470DW Printer is Offline to all users/PCs when using Malwarebytes 4.2.3.96 - Update package version 1.0.32702 - Component package version 1.0.1104 is used and in normal configuration. Printer is on a wired LAN.  Issue did not exist with version 4.2.1

Had my clients install the latest released version that was supposed to fix this, 4.2.3, and that only made things worse.  Now the network printers are still going offline and the software that they use on their workstations is now constantly showing an error message that the connection to the server has been lost.  I tried rolling back to version 4.1 since none of that happened with that version.  I ran the support cleanup tool to remove 4.2.3 and installed 4.1 from an installer that I downloaded from FileHippo.  That doesn't work because afterwards, I still have 4.2.3 installed.  What is the proper way to go back?

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Hello @stevegs

We have provided a DLL manual fix for testing to a few users that have confirmed it fixed the issue. We are trying very hard to have this fix available in a new beta update by tomorrow if at all possible. So I would suggest holding off on any big change for now.

We will post about it in the following topic when available.

Thank you

This an update to a previous posting. Update package version applied. Issue persists. Issue occurs on Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1 and Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, but Windows 10 Pro does not!?

Brother HL5470DW Printer is Offline to all users/PCs when using Malwarebytes 4.2.3.96 - Update package version 1.0.32750 - Component package version 1.0.1104 is used and in normal configuration. Printer is on a wired LAN.  Issue did not exist with version 4.2.1

52 minutes ago, SpeedyClip said:

Update package version 1.0.32750 -

The update package is just definitions, it will not provide the fix when made. It will be the component package or the program version that provides the fix.

You might want to test the new beta released today.

2020-11-11_10h42_32.png

Edited by Porthos

• Root Admin

Beta version 4.2.3.96 component package 1.0.1112 released today
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/262752-malwarebytes-42-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1420160

This includes the fix for the remaining users that were still having Printer and Network discovery issues. Please enable Beta and check for program updates.

After the update I would recommend restarting the computer even if not asked.

Thank you everyone for your patience while we worked on this issue.