Malwarebytes Blocks Network Printer

Malwarebytes is blocking my network printer that is configured on a TCP/IP port.  Printer is a Ricoh IM C4500

When I print, printer is shown as offline.  I exit Malwarebytes, it prints.

I just tried to narrow it down and I turned off in this order web protection, malware, ransomware, exploit.  Printer did not go back online until exploit (so all 4 was off).

I turned all back on right away and can print.

However, if I wait 5 minutes, same thing happens.  Printer is noted as off line and I need to exit malwarebytes to get it to print.

If I go into the printer port properties, and turn off SNMP, the the printer shows and remains online.

This is new and just recently happened.  I do not know if it was malwarebytes or a windows update.

Any ideas?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Please see if the option for blocking penetration testing attacks is enabled under the Security tab in Malwarebytes' settings, and if it is, disable it:

PenTesting.png.e7322dd4be0fad38ad9723f4ba1a5b2a.png

That option should be off by default and is not for protection from actual threats; it's a setting used for pen testing, primarily in corporate environments.  If that does not resolve the issue, click the Advanced settings button under the Exploit Protection section then click the Restore Defaults button and see if the problem is now corrected.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Block penetration testing attached was off.

I just tried the restore defaults and looks like nothing changed.

I then re-enabled SNMP and printer is off line again.

I exited malwarebytes, enabled snmp and printer stays online.  So I do think it is related to malwayebytes. I am not sure if I need SNMP.  Not sure what it does for me.

I work for a Managed Service Provider and we have been experiencing this issue all day across multiple clients.

Exiting MalwareBytes or disabling SNMP on the printer port like neoman said makes the printer show up as online again. It is definitely related to Malwarebytes. Also, none of the clients had "Block Penetration testing attacks" turned on either.

Thank you for verifying the issue.  We've also been seeing some issues recently with some of the defaults for the advanced settings for Exploit Protection not being honored, requiring the user to open Malwarebytes and access settings via the small gear icon in the upper right, navigate to the Security tab, click the Advanced settings button under the Exploit Protection section, then click on the Restore Defaults button (even if no settings have been modified by the user, and even if all defaults appear to be set already).  That said, the OP already tried that and indicates that the issue persisted after doing so, meaning one of the default settings/shields in Exploit Protections is causing the issue.

This problem has been reported to the team and is under investigation.  I will report your findings to them as well and hopefully we will see this issue resolved soon.

Thanks

There is a simple fix to this issue for "most" folk.  If you go into the printer properties and then select the "port" it is using and then select "Configure Port" you can simply remove the tick from the box "SNMP Status Enabled".  This disables the SNMP heartbeat and Windows does not mark the printer as offline anymore.  I have done this and the issue is resolved. 

You will no longer know if the printer is online or offline if you do this but at least if you know it's online then it will print okay without having to stop/start the spooler service. If you try to print (and it is really offline) the job will error in the queue and when the printer does go online again it will spit the print job out.  Not ideal but a whole lot better than the printer being marked as offline by Windows because it can't communicate the SNMP due to Malwarebytes breaking the communication.

I had this issue and my printer Epson SX438W I have (many moons ago and using EpsonNet Config to disable the features on the printer itsself) disabled:    Bonjour, SLP and WS-Discovery.  I did this years ago because I did not want my printer to get "autodiscovered" by people when they joined my network.   As it is broken on mine (until I did what I said above) then it must be a failure in one of the other protocols causing the issue. Maybe if you have WS-Discovery enabled (which it would be in the majority of home use cases) then perhaps Windows uses this in preference to SNMP. If it is not working or not present then maybe Windows falls back to SNMP and this is where the problem lays.   Only guessing here. 

Hello there,

i have hundreds of MBAM-Licenses  installed at several Customers.

This Monday, October 19th, i installed MBAM on 7 new Clients.

All 7 Clients use the same Printer, Brother MFC-7460 via direct IP-Port. I can confirm, that 3 of 7 Clients had the "offline issue" beginning October 20th in the morning!

Today, i read this threat and after that disabled SNMP on all Clients. It seems that this Workaround is successful, Printer is online on all Clients.

1 hour ago, Softheads said:

Same issues: Win 10 pro, HP 8600 printers.

WORKAROUND FIX: disable MWB Web Protection - printers instantly come back on line.

MWB: please fix this.

You should be able to disable SNMP for your printers to keep Web Protection enabled while still being able to use your printers as a workaround until the issue is fixed.

Spoke to soon - after overnight shutdown it's back to not seeing the Buffalo LinkStation drive. When I first posted, nothing on my system was changed other that Windows Defender and MBAM Updates.

Currently running  4.2.1.89  Update package 1.0.31924  Component package ver. 1.0.1070