It is announced newest Version 20H2 for Windows 10 / the October 2020 Vers

Maurice Naggar

30 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

Just check your System Restore, this update turned off my system protection ( not the first time).

I hate to say it, In many cases system restore is useless.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-system-restore-points-being/de7ce2b8-d478-4978-a2e3-62f0108fa424?auth=1

Yes, this is by design, certain Windows 10 updates will delete your restore points, this is because of the amount of system files changes and registry entries also changed during some updates

This is done because if your system was restored then it could become a mix of old and new system files, which would corrupt the OS

Windows 10 has basically made the System Restore process a deprecated process because of this. What you need to do if you would like to continue using System Restore is after each update Tuesday each month, check your Restore Points and create a new one if needs be . . .

WIndows 10 contains a lot more recovery options than previous versions of WIndows, so should your PC run into difficulty, you can use the recovery environment in Windows 10 . . .

Also System Image Backup (SIB) Solution in Windows Is been depreciated since 1709.

We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.  

1 hour ago, digmorcrusher said:

Just check your System Restore, this update turned off my system protection ( not the first time).

SR being off is a expected when a version-upgrade was done.  That is so that if you wanted to revert to the prior Version it would be easier.

Thus if you are satisfied ( happy) with the new Version, then turn on the System Restore.  

For the benefit of other readers, here is a how-to   https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99782-enable-disable-system-restore-windows.html

Just by the way, in the long ago past, being able to use System Restore at a command prompt was a life-saver

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Because they are security patches. Higher priority than a feature update.

Right, but I'm also referring to the non-security updates/patches and releases.  Going all the way back to XP I've never once seen a delay in receiving an update.  Again, I can understand why they might want to meter out a major version/release like this though, especially since each major version is essentially a new OS in the eyes of Microsoft (and often in the eyes of developers as well, given the fact that they often break compatibility with software/hardware known to be compatible with previous Win10 builds).

• Root Admin
6 hours ago, exile360 said:

Ah, they're throttling it, well that explains it.  I guess AdvancedSetup was right about that, however I suspect it was for a different reason (Microsoft owns more cloud/hosting space/bandwidth than just about anybody, except perhaps for Amazon, so bandwidth isn't an issue for them, not when they can afford to host full on game streaming for the upcoming XBOX Series X and Sony's PS5 on top of their normal game downloads and patches).  I bet it's because they don't want a flood of users with bugs/issues so they're limiting the number of users that receive it until proven stable.

Not true. Microsoft in the past did not own their CDN and had to pay fees to support it. That may not be true anymore though as they do have a global Azure CDN nowadays. Regardless, bandwidth is never free

If Microsoft does not want people using system restore then they just need to get rid of it, what's the point of offering it and then saying no,no, don't use it kiddies. Its saved me numerous times, such as..... a bsod.... from a botched Windows update!!  I also use Aeomi but only use it when system restore doesn't work. Trying Rollback RX now, quite nice, a reboot and you can roll back to a previous image, very simple and very quick.

22 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Not true. Microsoft in the past did not own their CDN and had to pay fees to support it. That may not be true anymore though as they do have a global Azure CDN nowadays. Regardless, bandwidth is never free

Microsoft is now one of the largest hosts/cloud providers/CDNs in the world.

4 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

Its saved me numerous times, such as..... a bsod.... from a botched Windows update!! 

It can work in some cases. But if you do not have an alternative in place like a 3rd party imaging program and it fails you are screwed. Always have a backup to the backup in place.

Yeah, System Restore is awesome, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.  Restore points can become corrupt (or even be deliberately damaged or deleted by some malware infections) and there are some things it doesn't restore, such as older versions of your personal files.  The newer imaging solution in Windows is nice, but suffers from the same risks as System Restore since its backups can also be deleted or borked by malware.  If you can make multiple external backups, both on-site and off-site (in case of a destructive event such as a natural disaster or robbery), that's ideal.  I'm generally not a fan of the cloud, however it can be a real lifesaver to have an online backup as well, in case all local backups are lost or damaged.

• Root Admin

I have both Acronis Trueimage and Macrium Reflect paid products and I do have Full backups but they do not replace System Protection and using Restore Points. 

The issue I believe that @Maurice Naggar is trying to make is that in the case of the very large multi GB upgrades that a System Restore Point is probably not sufficient to ensure a proper rollback if needed.

I have and continue to use System Restore Points and in the vast majority of cases it does work, but not always. There have been more than once that it has failed on multiple different systems over the years.

However it is very fast and easy for some oddball issues that break Windows at times and faster than doing a full system restore from Acronis or Macrium

I think some have taken my earlier statement of fact about SR being off after a version upgrade ....and perhaps gone on to tangents.

First, right after a Version upgrade of Windows, WIN10 has a provision for going back to the old version  within 10 days of said upgrade....if you so elect.....

Windows Settings >>Update & Security >> Recovery

If the period since upgrade has not exceeded 10 days, you will be able to use "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10".

That is one aspect.   But the other point I was intending to convey is,  to check on the status of System restore /check for yourself.

H T H

I would like to ask a question regarding the Windows 10 -  October 2020 Update (20H2) and Malwarebytes browser guard?

My dad had Firefox with the Malwarebytes extension installed on his PC.
With the update Edge was replaced with Edge by Chromium and MWBG was installed on Edge automatically.
Excluding the fact that, in the family, we don't want to use Chrome and its derivatives - therefore not even the new Edge - (we use the Google engine as it is, unfortunately, the only truly complete one; we tried DuckDuckGo but we were not 100% satisfied) the fact can only please me as it is the only extension we use on Windows browsers.

Having said that I would be interested in knowing if it is normal

Thanks for the answer

Good Day

Massimiliano

Yes, it's normal.  Browser addons/extensions for Chromium and Firefox can be installed in the registry and file system without the browser being installed so that once the browser is installed, the addon/extension will be installed already :)

As for Google search alternatives, there are a few.  If you don't like DuckDuckGo, you might try startpage.com which is another privacy focused Google alternative.  Hopefully it suits your needs.  I've found with both Startpage and DuckDuckGo that I can usually do just about everything I can with Google, it just might require digging into their settings/options a bit.

@exile360 thanks for the reply.
It's not that I don't like DuckDuckGo; indeed I had tried it precisely for the privacy.
Unfortunately, I often had to go back to Google because the results were not always complete in the same way and in the end I went back to Google so as not to have to switch from one engine to another.
And this is due to the fact that Google is at least in practice a monopoly.
Unfortunately, Startpage cannot be set as a default engine on Safari but only as a Homepage (therefore it does not work for searches in the URL bar).
I'm definitely going to give it a chance and give DuckDuckGo another one.
@exile360 if you have any other suggestions, they are very welcome

In Safari for the default engine you can choose between Google, Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo

Well that's a bummer about Safari; I just looked it up and I guess they made a change in Safari 13 that prevents adding your own search providers.  I can understand why from a security perspective to prevent browser hijackers and similar PUP plugins, but it also means that your choices are limited to the ones provided out of the box by Apple.  Hopefully they'll at least add Startpage as an option in a future release.

Going back to Maxbar1's question about Edge Chromium.

New Edge (chromium) is now the default Windows browser starting with 20H2 and you can't avoid it. Before that you had to download/install it yourself.

However it should not have overwritten Firefox as default.

It will overwrite legacy Edge as the new default, but shouldn't oust any other default browser.

12 minutes ago, nukecad said:

New Edge (chromium) is now the default Windows browser starting with 20H2 and you can't avoid it.

It actually lies in the start menu unused like the old Edge

Apart from the fact that, at least in my case, Windows is used when I just can't do without it, that is practically never except when updates come out to install them

I only ever use Edge as a double check if something odd seems to be happening in Firefox.

PS. Legacy Edge should still be there in Windows but needs turning on again. You can have both old and new edge enabled. Can't link easily from this phone so google (or Duck Duck) how to do that.

Edited by nukecad

4 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Open Settings, Default Apps

Should be able to set any browser as the default browser.

I don't know if the answer was for me, but I knew it. Anyway thanks.
Firefox is my default browser since many years ago I decided to stop using and disable Internet Explorer.
Edge, Chrome or others: never used on Windows
on macOS only Safari, very rarely Firefox

55 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Open Settings, Default Apps

Should be able to set any browser as the default browser.

It's a bit more than that because New Edge disables Legacy Edge so you can't even see it to set it as default.

Give me an hour or two to post a link.

Important

Running Microsoft Edge Legacy side-by-side with the new version of Microsoft Edge is not recommended for use in production. This configuration should only be used in specific cases where testing with both browser versions is required.

The Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop app will reach end of support on March 9, 2021 in favor of the new Microsoft Edge. This means that Microsoft Edge Legacy will not receive security updates after that date. This change is applicable to all experiences that run in the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop app. Learn more.

Seems a clean install will completely come without legacy Edge.

Note

Starting with Windows 10 version 20H2 Microsoft Edge Legacy is no longer included. Starting with this version of Windows 10 the side-by-side experience is not supported.

I had always considered legacy Edge junk anyway.

• Root Admin

I suppose to be fair though that if you're willing to be on the "bleeding edge" of Windows updated technology then having such settings is reasonable for Microsoft as they're trying to get feedback and debugging information before a release.

Though it is possible that in full release they may continue the block or in "new" installations, not even install the older Edge version.