Yesterday i noticed that some things are not working properly so i checked windows defender and i noticed there was one threat that i cannot delete, i didnt think much about that and i format windows and the partition where it was installed. But the problem is still there i ran a complete scan from windows defender, avast (complete and boot scan) and other anti malware software but none of them found anything except for malwarebytes adwcleaner after a restart it works fine for a while but then start again (without opening any program) Finally when i restart the computer it work fine again for a while so im not sure if the malwarebytes adwcleaner really did something
This is the log of the scan that found anything
-------------------------------
# Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 8.0.8.0
# -------------------------------
# Build: 10-08-2020
# Database: 2020-09-29.1 (Cloud)
# Support: https://www.malwarebytes.com/support
#
# Mode: Clean
# Start: 10-20-2020
# Duration: 00:00:10
# OS: Windows 10 Pro
# Cleaned: 10
# Failed: 0

***** [ Services ] *****

Deleted SecurityService
Deleted webshieldfilter

***** [ Folders ] *****

Deleted C:\ProgramData\SecuritySuite
Deleted C:\Users\Lisandro\Documents\TotalAV
Deleted C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\TotalAV

***** [ Files ] *****

Deleted C:\Windows\System32\drivers\webshieldfilter.sys

***** [ DLL ] *****

No malicious DLLs cleaned.

***** [ WMI ] *****

No malicious WMI cleaned.

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

No malicious shortcuts cleaned.

***** [ Tasks ] *****

No malicious tasks cleaned.

***** [ Registry ] *****

Deleted HKCU\Software\SSProtect
Deleted HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.totalav.passwordvaultassistant
Deleted HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\NativeMessagingHosts\com.totalav.passwordvaultassistant
Deleted HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\SecurityService

***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Chromium entries cleaned.

***** [ Chromium URLs ] *****

No malicious Chromium URLs cleaned.

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Firefox entries cleaned.

***** [ Firefox URLs ] *****

No malicious Firefox URLs cleaned.

***** [ Hosts File Entries ] *****

No malicious hosts file entries cleaned.

***** [ Preinstalled Software ] *****

No Preinstalled Software cleaned.

[+] Delete Tracing Keys
[+] Reset Winsock

AdwCleaner[S00].txt - [2084 octets] - [20/10/2020 08:38:2Cool

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\Logs\AdwCleaner[C00].txt ##########

And here i leave a video of my desktop:

https://youtu.be/5t7pZ4VopXg
As you can see when i open the action center and i click in anything nothing happen, when i scroll in display center it keep returning me to the top unless i click on display and when i use the search box if i open something the search box doesnt close.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Hi,       :welcome:
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.   

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.7.0.827.exe  to run the report

Once it starts, you will see a first screen with 2 buttons.  Click the one on the left marked "I don't have an open support ticket".

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK.  Then Exit the tool.

Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Thank you,
Sincerely.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Thanks for the report-file.  If you only just recently installed Avast  & it is a free install, let me urge you to Uninstall Avast thru Windows Settings >>>Programs and Features  and then restart the system.  Avast is a pesky one & is know to package unwanted add-ons.   Not recommended by me.

We need to pin down just what you consider as the main antivirus app.   The reports show this machine has Spybot - Search and Destroy 

Is that paid for ?  is that what you want for the antivirus protection ?

Please let me know all that.

These below are first set of actions for this Windows machine.

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that needs to be off.  The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 
Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 
"Windows Security Center"
Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

{ OFF position is all the way to the left.}

I would like you to do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.  One of the major goals here is to have it remove all that it detects.  If it finds anything that is.

In Malwarebytes from the Windows  
Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.
Then click the Security tab.   Look for the section "Automatic Quarantine".   Be sure it is clicked On   ( to the far right side)

Then scroll down to the section Potentially Unwanted items.   We need the next 2 lines   ( for P U P  & for P U  M)  to be set to "Always ( Recommended) ".
You can make the change by clicking on the down-arrow selection list-control.   We want all P U P  &  P U M to be marked for removal.

Next, click the small x on the Settings line   to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.
Next click the blue button marked Scan.
When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.
You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).

Then click on Quarantine selected.
Then, locate the S

can run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Hello, thats anti-malware were already unistalled when i generated de zip

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 10/20/20
Scan Time: 9:10 PM
Log File: e304dd7c-1331-11eb-951f-1c872cd0fa58.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.2.1.89
Components Version: 1.0.1070
Update Package Version: 1.0.31708
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: DESKTOP-00QUS5G\Lisandro

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Scan Initiated By: Manual
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 256463
Threats Detected: 0
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 45 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect

-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

WMI: 0

(end)

Sorry for take so long to reply

i did the same scan this time in all the partions, here is the log

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 10/20/20
Scan Time: 9:35 PM
Log File: 49b56c28-1335-11eb-a5a8-1c872cd0fa58.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.2.1.89
Components Version: 1.0.1070
Update Package Version: 1.0.31708
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: DESKTOP-00QUS5G\Lisandro

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Custom Scan
Scan Initiated By: Manual
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 1183682
Threats Detected: 0
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 2 hr, 18 min, 20 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect

-Scan Details-
Process: 0

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

WMI: 0

(end)

Lets pause  & re-group  & get clarifications.

If you only just recently installed Avast  & it is a free install, let me urge you to Uninstall Avast thru Windows Settings >>>Programs and Features  and then restart the system.  Avast is a pesky one & is know to package unwanted add-ons.   Not recommended by me.

We need to pin down just what you consider as the main antivirus app.   The reports show this machine has Spybot - Search and Destroy 

Is that paid for ?  is that what you want for the antivirus protection ?

Please let me know all that.

Hello here is a capture of programs and feature, i dont have avast and Spybot - Search and Destroy anymore, i used free version of both   
I dont have really any preferences for the antivirus protection, i usually only use windows defender.
Another thing i have the update to windows 10 version 2004 should i download it or avoid it until we fix the actual problem?

Capture.PNG

OK, Thanks for that clarification.  MS Windows Defender is a very good, capable antivirus.

If Windows Update is offering you Version 2004 or 20H2  then go ahead and proceed forward with that.   Just simply be real sure to Close all your work files and save your work.  Close as many of your opened applications as possible.   That way Windows Update has opportunity to do what it needs.

After all, the Windows 10 Version currently in place is Old.  Version 1903 is due to reach end-of-service-support 8 December 2020.

Keep me advised.   We can later on take other actions as needed.

I do wish you would have explicitly  listed what the current issue (s)  is / are.   You can do that with your next reply, AND also do this

Please also run a new fresh report with the FRSTENGLISH   report tool which is on the Downloads folder.

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Windows 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen.
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & follow-up & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is checked    -        listed under Optional scan on the FRST screen
and click the box "90 day files "
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2 logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.     Thank you.     🙂

https://youtu.be/5t7pZ4VopXg
As you can see when i open the action center and i click in anything nothing happen, when i scroll in display center it keep returning me to the top unless i click on display and when i use the search box if i open something the search box doesnt close. Before i formatted windows defender detect a threat but i couldn't delete it (when windows detect that threat windows was already working weird)

Addition.txt FRST.txt

If there is a malware infection here, I can help and guide you on that. You ran 2 very recent scans with Malwarebytes for Windows & they found no malware.

We can do some other scans with other tools.   Lets start with what is listed below.   Just do all of them  & you can save the reports   and attach them in one single reply at the end.

[   1     ]

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that needs to be off.  The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 
Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 
"Windows Security Center"
Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

{  OFF is all the way to the left side. }
Close Malwarebytes when done.

[     2     ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.     ( when you are all completely done )
[     3     ]

I would suggest that you do a scan with a scan tool from ESET  to just only scan the C drive.
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"

Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Custom scan    ( the choice on far-right side)

We want just the C drive to be scanned.

In the display "Select custom scan targets"  keep the top 3 lines ticked,  plus the one for the C drive   ( which should be your Windows drive)

UN-tick the other drives   ( D, E, F,   etc...)

Then click on the blue button "Save and continue"

Look at & tick  ( select )   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.

You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.  Look for it on the bottom left, in blue.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

The goal here is to see if there are suspicious or actual threats on the C drive.    Please attach the scan-log with your next reply

i've a question, if i do a back up of some files (photos, video, documents and savesgames) and format all the hard drive its possible to still have the issues? if i format and reinstall windows again ill do it with a usb

Hold off on doing a "reformat".   While yes it is do-able, it is a measure of way way last resort.   Before even getting to that, Windows 10 has 2 or 3 avenues of getting Windows 10 back in good shape.  We should just hold off on that at this point.  However, having a backup of the system ( all your stuff) is always a good idea.

Backup is your best friend.

Thanks for the scan reports.  The Microsoft Safety scanner tool found no malware.  It is a basic type tool to check for viruses; though the result is excellent. 

The ESET Online scanner result is very very excellent.  The ESET is a excellent scanner.

By the way, the FRST report from yesterday highlighted one problem area that needs your attention.

==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: Network Controller
Description: Network Controller
Class Guid: 
Manufacturer: 
Service: 
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

You should consider getting support at Asus support since your machine is a ASUS machine.

I would like us to run a custom script mainly to run the Windows System File Checker app & the Windows 10 DISM tool.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for Dubinnn  only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure.    If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH  tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH .exe   tool    is already on the Downloads
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Fixlist.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Thank you for that log-report.  The run was very good.  The Windows 10 System File Checker result was all fine & perfect.   Same with the Windows 10 DISM.

You may do a Quick scan with the Windows 10 Microsoft Defender Antivirus just as one additional check.

At this point, I would like for you to do one new scan with Microsoft Windows'  Windows Defender.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the 'Virus & Threat Protection'   ( on the right-hand side pane )

next click on the Quick Scan button.
Have patience & let it finish.   Let me know the results.

IF the Windows 10 system is still problematic, ( and no virus or trojan or malware is reported by Windows Microsoft Defender )  then if you wish I can guide you to a repair-install of Windows 10 with the latest 20H2 Version   ( the new successor to version 2004 ).

• Like 1

You will want to backup your system first, just to be cautious.   You then should also close all your open work  & then do a Windows Restart  just to have a fresh slate.

Then wait for system to settle back in.

A Windows 10 repair-in-place-upgrade is one possibility.

if the configuration of your PC is HDD only. If the configuration is SSD + HDD it can be problematic, and you should create a Backup Image of your system before proceeding

You want to be sure to SAVE the download file, ideally to the Desktop.

Download & Save  the Microsoft tool -      click the button marked "Update now"  from

http://www.Microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The name of the file is Windows10Upgrade9252.exe

Now once the file is all saved, close the web browser.    Use File Explorer to go to the saved-file.

Right click the downloaded file and select "Run as administrator". Select the option

"Upgrade This PC Now" and the process begins. Answer the questions logically, and when

asked "what to keep", ensure that both the OS and Apps & Files are both selected.

The procedure requires about an hour to complete. Your PC will restart several times. And

sometimes it appears to be doing nothing. Be patient. When it is finished, your "sign in"

screen will appear. Your PC will be just as it was before the procedure, but hopefully without the issue at hand.

Hello.  Regret to read that.

Please also run a new fresh report with the FRSTENGLISH   report tool which is on the Downloads folder.

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Windows 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen.
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & follow-up & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is checked    -        listed under Optional scan on the FRST screen
and click the box "90 day files "
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2 logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.   

[      2       ]

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/
and Save to your Desktop.

If using Windows 7/8 or Vista, Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Admisnitrator.
If using XP, double-click to start.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are checkmarked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other services

Click on "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Copy & Paste contents of FSS.txt into your reply.

[     3     ]

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.   Wait for the download to complete.

{ just do not click on any displays or other ads  when you get to the Bleepingcomputer download page }

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.

Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Thank you.     🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the reports.  This pc does have the latest current Version 20H2 of Windows 10.   That is a very good thing to have.

I notice that the Windows Update service happens to need to be set to Automatic  ( to be active when Windows starts up).   We'll take care of that in this next script fix.

This system happens to have a few applications;  but shows left-over traces of some programs that had been removed.  Those leftover traces may be at the source of the odd behaviors you have seen.  These are leftover "context menu handlers".

And there is also 2 Windows tasks to invoked the tool we used before, the Eset online scanner.   We only needed just one run only.   These 2 tasks will be removed.

Please first Delete the prior saved file Fixlist.txt   on the Downloads folder.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for Dubinnn  only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure.    If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH  tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH .exe   tool    is already on the Downloads
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Fixlist.txt

• Like 1