Local NAS

Pluto
Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

As I stated…

12 hours ago, Pluto said:

Possible clue in getting to the bottom of this – enabling SMBv1 (now highly deprecated)…

I temporarily re-enabled this (on one of the Windows machines) purely to see if it provided any kind of clue. Make of the information what you will. My NAS does have SMB1 disabled as a matter of course. WS-Discovery (WSD) is enabled.

Please do not loose sight of the core issue – I do not have any kind of generic problem accessing the NAS. There is only ever evidence of a problem when MB web protection is engaged, so I shall ask again: why is a module whose job is preventing “online scams, phishing sites and sites with ransomware” interfering, in any way, with LAN communications?

I have a quite clearly reproducible issue that seems to follow that described by Dave77 here although I am not suggesting that this is my problem; it merely looks superficially similar.

• Root Admin

Because it's a network protocol. There is no such thing as only at home for computers now for well over a decade. They all try as best as they can to reach out and use multiple various network protocols to both find and talk to other systems.

We understand you have the issue and are not alone. We are continuing to investigate the cause.

Thank you

Sadly, the latest beta (4.2.3.96 / 1.0.1104) has made no difference to the problem of MB's Web Protection module inhibiting discovery of, and access to, my local NAS.

After disabling web protection, a network scan reveals the NAS within a very few seconds of clicking "network". While your web protection may (or may not) be the root cause of this problem, there can be no doubt that it's a highly effective catalyst!

Thanks for the confirmation Max; it's slightly reassuring that I'm not the only one.

But you having mentioned it, I might as well admit that I experienced the same pattern of events. It appeared to have fixed the problem for me following the update but subsequently, status quo ante.

I didn't mention that on account of the fact that it felt like an oddity, but you having experienced exactly the same oddity might be useful information for the back office who are, no doubt, currently tearing their hair out on this one!

• Root Admin

Hello @Pluto

We believe this should be corrected at this point. Can you please do another clean removal and reinstall following the directions from this article.

Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

If that does not correct the issue for you then please run the following to gather logs for us from the affected machine

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline

Thank you

Here are the gathered logs from my Windows 7 machine, showing identical symptoms, which should be a whole lot simpler to interpret than my Windows 10 unit. I can confirm that following this re-install process, merely disabling Web Protection causes the NAS device to snap back to visibility (and accessibility) within a few seconds.

What follows possibly confuses and frustrates your attempts to pin this down:

Having disabled web protection to access the NAS, on subsequent re-enabling of web protection the NAS remains accessible for a considerable time (?5, 10 minutes). What does seem highly consistent, after rebooting with full MB protection enabled, is that the NAS is not visible until web protection is disabled.

As before, please delete this upload after you have retrieved it. Thanks.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed log per request

22 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Pluto

We believe this should be corrected at this point.

Just to confirm - I too am seeing no difference.

NetBIOS discovery in Windows Network is still the same.  Initially after boot, all computers/NAS show up  - then disappear after a while.  Turn off  Web Protection and refresh, and all immediately show up.

For me though, it is just NetBIOS discovery - I can still access everything.

I thought this problem had gone away but I am seeing same behaviours as reported by Pluto - that after turning off web protection, NAS becomes visible but after turning on web protection the NAS (QNAP), becomes invisible again after several minutes. 

Another Windows 10 PC on network remains visible.

I'm now running version 4.2.3.96, package 1.0.1104.

23 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Late last week, @AdvancedSetup sent me a module to test which has, so far, fixed this problem for me. Obviously, I cannot say when this will get integrated into the β program but it does appear that MB now seem to understand the underlying issue, which is reassuring.

Same result for me. Assume the fix wil incorporated in the next update.

• Root Admin
  • Solution

Beta version 4.2.3.96 component package 1.0.1112 released today

This includes the fix for the remaining users that were still having Printer and Network discovery issues. Please enable Beta and check for program updates.

After the update, I would recommend restarting the computer even if not asked.

• Root Admin
20 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Initial test promising on 7 & 10, but given the somewhat yes/no history of this one, I'm not going to press the "fixed" button just yet.

For your NAS issue the previous DLL fix provided is the same so there should be no change there for you, as the DLL corrected the issue, this beta should as well. There are a few other fixes as well in this new beta though.

Thank you again @Pluto