Real-time protection (RTProtectionDaemon) CPU hog

2 minutes ago, Torre said:

Not sure... in my case RTProtectionDaemon definitely went nuts two evenings ago (I have Activity Monitor running as MWB support & I are still debugging this issue).  This was after an OSX update and Office 365 also updated.  The next morning RTPD seemed better behaved and I also found a stuck Office 365 update.  Not sure if they are related.  RTPD is now back to "acceptable" but still high CPU levels and I am still working with MWB support.

I was unclear -- I was referring to  my slow-apps-opening problem that I had even after uninstalling MWB and thereby getting rid of RTPD.  Indeed a workaround for the oscd.apple.com issue that GuruGuy linked to did solve that problem. MWB is still uninstalled here.

This afternoon's app opening issue has been resolved by Apple and it's critical that anybody who implemented the ocsp.apple.com workaround reverse it immediately. Otherwise you will give malware developers a clean path to install whatever they want to on your Mac without fear of having their credentials revoked.

5 hours ago, alvarnell said:

This afternoon's app opening issue has been resolved by Apple and it's critical that anybody who implemented the ocsp.apple.com workaround reverse it immediately. Otherwise you will give malware developers a clean path to install whatever they want to on your Mac without fear of having their credentials revoked.

Agreed.  I didn't implement that and instead uninstalled MBam which fixed my issue.  After the Big Sur server update issues and subsequent install many hours after it was released, I reinstalled mbam and so far it's working problem free; app block off.  

On 11/12/2020 at 2:18 PM, Torre said:

...  RTPD is now back to "acceptable" but still high CPU levels ...

What's "acceptable"? I was seeing CPU% in the mid-50s before I uninstalled MWB.

That's a GREAT question.  I wish I knew what "normal" was but I don't, so I define "acceptable" as "It doesn't get in the way" and "isn't running at 60+% most every time I look", which was how it was before.

Just as a recap 2-3 weeks ago I reported that RealTimeProtectionDaemon was going mostly 50% CPU, occasionally dropping to 20%, and frequently spiking to 90+%.  Now it is (1) mostly hovering under 10 (2) occasionally hovering around 20% (3) sometimes spiking above 80.

I was able to profile RTPD behaviour on a similar machine and also tried out a different user account on the same machine and get much lower CPU usage, and thus far we have not been able to isolate why one user account on one machine runs so hot.

A little more than a week ago I uninstalled MWB because RTProtectionDaemon was taking more than 50% CPU. As there hasn't been any new release -- I have 4.6.11.3824 -- today I cancelled autorenewal of my subscription which would have triggered tomorrow. Just to make sure the problem wasn't transient I just reinstalled it and observed 53% CPU, and then again uninstalled it. I'll check from time to time for a new release.