Real-time protection (RTProtectionDaemon) CPU hog

Adding my voice to the many who find v4.5.15 a CPU hog.

I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes but only recently paid for premium as competitors (Avira, Avast, BitDefender, etc.) give it away free.  Imagine to my surprise when I see RTProtectionDaemon hogging CPU constantly.  It is never below 20% CPU, it is mostly above 60% CPU, it is often above 85% CPU on my 2015 MBP on Catalina 10.15.7.  This issue appears to have been present since at least July without a fix.

WORST of all, support does not respond.  Opened a ticket yesterday and no human has said "boo" after 24 hours.  I can't track my own support ticket online either.

This is absolutely not what I paid for.  How do I get a refund?

23 minutes ago, Torre said:

Opened a ticket yesterday and no human has said "boo" after 24 hours.

Support is very busy and you we see a 5-7 business wait for a reply currently other than the automated ticket number.

26 minutes ago, Torre said:

This is absolutely not what I paid for.  How do I get a refund?

You can wait for support or you can be assisted here on the forum to find the cause of the issue, or when support answers you can request your refund then as support is the ones who deal with the refunds as well.

Thank you for reporting this issue.  I'm sorry that you've experienced poor performance with the software.  Your reported issue will be documented and reported to the Product team and hopefully we will see a resolution soon, assuming it is not something that can be fixed by troubleshooting from Support.

2 hours ago, Torre said:

Adding my voice to the many who find v4.5.15 a CPU hog.

And while you are waiting, you might want to try the beta version 4.6.10 that can be found here: 

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's a bit more information for the MWB support guys:  it seems that only Malware Protection causes the CPU issues.  I tried disabling both App Block and Malware Protection, then re-enabled each.  Ad Block is fine but the second that Malware Protection is enabled the CPU goes crazy again.

Secondly I respect what the MWB team has done.  It is a great product, I like the company philosophy, and it catches stuff that the other guys don't.  After the second time I used MWB to remove crap that <insert other product name> couldn't, I decided to pay for it.  But you must scale up support because a 5-7 business day turnaround is NOT acceptable for paying customers.

Third: 4.6.10 beta does not solve the issue.  After installation I turned on Malware Protection and BANG the CPU goes right up  It's hovering around 50% right now like before.

43 minutes ago, Torre said:

But you must scale up support because a 5-7 business day turnaround is NOT acceptable for paying customers.

It is not always that long, we/I  just want users to manage their expectations. Covid has changed many things. More computer use and more support calls.

The  support staff and of course the volunteers here that do Mac is significantly less than for the Windows product.

Edited by Porthos
  • Staff

Hi @Torre,

We would like to further investigate the high CPU usage issue and for that would like to gather additional information as troubleshooting reports.

Please provide us a system report created with the help of below article  (please don't post the zip file here).

Instead, attach the zip file with the support ticket you have. We will continue working via support ticket.

Hi Adas

I am in contact with the support agent, so far it is not helpful.  It seems the diagnostic tool sniffs around for things in my system (helpers, plugins, etc.) and the only suggestion I have had so far is "remove Chrome plugins" (I've removed about four or five that I don't use) which doesn't help, and already the support agent seems ready to throw in the towel.  In this respect, the support tool and support suggestion is no better than an EtreCheck report.

The CPU issue is affecting EVERY Mac in the household and I have had to turn OFF "Malware Protection" on all of them.  I ran some cursory experiments and found:

1. If I quit all applications and leave only Finder running, RTProtectionDaemon CPU is very low (5% with intermittent spikes to 20%)
  2. Running Powerpoint causes intermittent CPU spikes to 100%, but generally stays around 20% (borderline acceptable)
  3. Adding Word causes more CPU spikes to 100%, but generally stays around 20% (less acceptable)
  4. Adding Safari now makes the CPU hover around 60-80% with spikes to 100% (completely unacceptable)

So it definitely seems activity related and appears to be a significant performance issue in RTProtectionDaemon.

On 10/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, Porthos said:

"The  support staff and of course the volunteers here that do Mac is significantly less than for the Windows product."

If that is the case then there is a major problem in the price of the premium edition of Malwarebytes  for Mac.......The price of the premium edition for Mac is exactly the same as the Windows edition.

So why are less resources (in this case support staff) allocated to malware bytes for Mac?

1 hour ago, PaulBostock said:

So why are less resources (in this case support staff) allocated to malware bytes for Mac?

I'm not in a position to know about staffing details, but it seems obvious to me that it's the same as it is for the volunteers here. There aren't nearly as many Mac users as their are Windows subscribers. That means the number of customers needing support are significant fewer and the profits from Mac subscriptions are similarly much lower in total. But the protection provided to us is much closer to that provided to Windows users and increasing over time, so why shouldn't the price be the same? It's simply the way profitable service companies operate.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for chiming in.  I am sure it is as alvarnell said, in fact I was about to make the same point. I don't fault the MWB support personnel for stating fact (in my experience that's what engineers do, and we don't want it any other way!)  MWB is also not the only company I know who are struggling with the new normal.

To bring things back to the topic at hand, I am quite disappointed with attempted solution so far.  As mentioned this affects all Macs of varying age and models in the household and I see many reports of high CPU in searches as well.  Any Mac users NOT having CPU issues with RTProtectionDaemon when real-time Malware Protection is enabled?

6 hours ago, Torre said:Any Mac users NOT having CPU issues with RTProtectionDaemon when real-time Malware Protection is enabled?

Personally following this thread I have tried to open almost all the software I have on my Mac and to follow I have kept an eye on Activity Monitor.

RTProtectionDaemon had a couple of spikes at around 50% of a few seconds and mostly was around 10% and sometimes even under 2/3%.

I tested for a few minutes what for me is an anomalous situation because I normally keep open only the software in use at a given moment.

Mine is a 13” MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (non Retina Display) with 10 GB RAM, i5 2.5 Ghz.

Obviously my test isn't particularly useful as the software was all open but not in use. I did it just to have a comparison with your situation described above.

Malwarebytes, on my Mac, has all the options active and I use the latest beta on macOS 10.15.7

• Staff
19 hours ago, Torre said:

To bring things back to the topic at hand, I am quite disappointed with attempted solution so far.  As mentioned this affects all Macs of varying age and models in the household and I see many reports of high CPU in searches as well.  Any Mac users NOT having CPU issues with RTProtectionDaemon when real-time Malware Protection is enabled?

Yes, actually, most users aren't seeing these issues.

The way that adas has been handling this, both here and on our support system, is appropriate. The data you sent in shows that you've got multiple Chrome extensions installed across multiple different users, and having a large number of browser extensions is known to cause increased scan times (which could also cause increased CPU usage by the daemon). We generally recommend NOT having large numbers of browser extensions installed, as each extension increases your attack surface through your most vulnerable point of attack: your web browser. Since this is a known source of problems, it's the logical first step in troubleshooting.

If removing unused and unnecessary extensions does not help, we will need to investigate further. adas knows exactly what is needed, but will need your help in order to investigate further.

• Like 2

Thanks treed & MAXBAR1, this is useful information (for me at least!)

Frankly I was a bit surprised about Chrome as few in our household use it, preferring Safari.  Only a few were unused.  I went ahead & cleaned out Firefox & Safari while I was at it but it did not help.  There are no more than 4-5 extensions on Chrome and Safari remaining.  Given that there are a few machines and users in my house and we are all having the same issue, I will try to find what I can about the other users and see if there is any commonality on symptoms and causes & let adas know, in case there is something there.

In any case I'll keep working with adas and if we find anything interesting I will post back to this forum.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro- 16 G RAM with an SSD, running system High Sierra 10.13.6

MWB version (just updated) 4.6.11

No Chrome browser installed, Safari with Dashlane & AdGuard General as only extensions

With NO applications running (except Application monitor) MWB Daemon is continuously consuming between 35 and 110% of CPU time and ~35% of energy.

• 2 weeks later...

Today my Mac Mini w/ MacOS 10.15.7 slowed to a crawl. Activity Monitor showed RTProtectionDaemon taking about 55% CPU with spikes to 100%. I uninstalled/reinstalled MWB 4.6.11, no joy.

Based on this thread I see no solution. Is that correct? My subscription expires in 9 days, just sayin'.

P.S. The MWB application takes 12-15 secs. with its icon bouncing in the Dock before its window opens.

I uninstalled MWB. The uninstaller left these behind:

com.malwarebytes.mbam.uninstaller.plist
com.malwarebytes.mbam.uninstaller.bom
com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.application.savedState
com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent.plist
com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.application.plist

My system was brought to a crawl today too, same version.  Everything I tried to open gave bouncing balls in dock.  Uninstall and all is fine now.  I did have app block already off so not sure what changed, but I have another system with same symptoms and gonna remove there too.  What changed today???

4 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

My system was brought to a crawl today too, same version.  Everything I tried to open gave bouncing balls in dock.  Uninstall and all is fine now.  I did have app block already off so not sure what changed, but I have another system with same symptoms and gonna remove there too.  What changed today???

Uninstall got rid of RTProtectionDaemon, but after restart, the auto-start applications -- the ones which populate the right side of the menu bar -- are very slow to open. Then a lot of manual-start applications are "bouncing doc icon slow" to open, at least the first time. Some seem to normalize for subsequent opens (cached? wild guess).

21 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

Well here is certainly something odd and I wonder if it's related.....https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/12/mac-apps-not-opening/

4 minutes ago, brec said:

Seems like that has to be it -- thanks!

Not sure... in my case RTProtectionDaemon definitely went nuts two evenings ago (I have Activity Monitor running as MWB support & I are still debugging this issue).  This was after an OSX update and Office 365 also updated.  The next morning RTPD seemed better behaved and I also found a stuck Office 365 update.  Not sure if they are related.  RTPD is now back to "acceptable" but still high CPU levels and I am still working with MWB support.