Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20236

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

@Soozy   This is from a post today on Twitter by MS Windows Insider accounta

We are starting to roll out Cumulative Update Build 20236.1005 (KB4587587). This update does not contain new features and is designed to test our servicing pipeline. r

Got this update this afternoon.

Well I'm back on 20236. Those Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap error messages I was getting was apparently due to that setting I changed in Malwarebytes. The 'Block Penetration testing attacks' option located in the Exploit Protection part until Security tab in Malwarebytes. It was not enabled and I enabled it and boom, problems! When I went back to 20231 I tried the same setting and same thing happened .So I disabled that setting and went back to 20236..Good thing I keep images and backups!  Be careful what you change in Malwarebytes!

13 minutes ago, Evergap said:

I was getting was apparently due to that setting I changed in Malwarebytes. The 'Block Penetration testing attacks' option located in the Exploit Protection part until Security tab in Malwarebytes. It was not enabled and I enabled it and boom, problems!

On is not the default setting for that feature at this time. It is still under development as far as I know.

Edited by Porthos
2 hours ago, Porthos said:

On is not the default setting for that feature at this time. It is still under development as far as I know.

The penetration testing setting in Malwarebytes isn't for protection from actual threats anyway; it's a feature designed to use when conducting actual pen tests to verify that Exploit Protection functions as it should.

26 minutes ago, cchilderhose said:

Tested latest Beta release and same issue when Web Protection enabled. So leave it off for now until MS comes back as I think they need to fix this IIRC.

In the release notes known issues section for BUILD 20241 Microsoft did say " We’re working on a fix where after taking build 20236 devices running Malwarebytes Web Protection are no longer able to connect to the network. Users can roll back to 20231 and pause updates or disable Web Protection as a workaround."

So yeah it's an ongoing issue..:)

Windows Build 202xx is only for those who elected to be in the Windows Insider DEV Channel .   That is still a beta version.  20236, 20242 is one of those for the 21H1 version of Windows for the year 2021.   Not for everyday regular end-user.   I think we need to make that clear for casual readers.

• Like 3

Please note for those of you in the DEV Channel for Microsoft Windows 10

Thanks @Evergap

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20241
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/10/21/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20241/

NOTE:

We’re working on a fix where after taking build 20236 devices running Malwarebytes Web Protection are no longer able to connect to the network. Users can roll back to 20231 and pause updates or disable Web Protection as a workaround.

3 minutes ago, Katmeat said:

I did not lose Malwarebytes when I updated to 20241 on three PCs, though the problem still remains with having it necessary to shut off Web Protection and pen attack protection, despite the update yesterday from Malwarebytes (4.2.2.95).

The setting to block penetration testing attacks should be disabled by default; it is only for pen testing purposes, not for the detection/prevention of actual in-the-wild exploits.  You might also try navigating to the Advanced settings under Exploit Protection and clicking the Restore Defaults button as it may correct the issue without needing to disable Web Protection as it corrects the issue in some cases, though not all.

2 hours ago, exile360 said:

The setting to block penetration testing attacks should be disabled by default; it is only for pen testing purposes, not for the detection/prevention of actual in-the-wild exploits.  You might also try navigating to the Advanced settings under Exploit Protection and clicking the Restore Defaults button as it may correct the issue without needing to disable Web Protection as it corrects the issue in some cases, though not all.

I also had this issue on 20236 and 20241.  I was able to get past the GSOD if I entered the login PIN "very" quickly after the login prompt appeared.  The problem was also solved by disabling Web Protection.

I am now online here on 20241 with all MWB protection fully enabled - after following exile360's comments.  I had a clean boot with no GSOD issues.  Apparently I am one of those for who this approach does work.  Although, it is worth noting that other than MWB and Windows Defender, my 20241 installation is "plain vanilla" with no other system tweaking and no other security software.

• Like 1