Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20236

Windows 10 got build 20236 today and it broke Internet connection on 2 PC's.

Rolled back to 20231 and it was fine. Upgraded to 20236 again and was broken,

but this time gave me a tcpip.sys GSOD error. Searched for fixes and 1 of them was

Antivirus. Opened Malwarebytes and turned off Protections and Internet came back.

I narrowed it down to Web Protection only has to be off.

• Like 2

Greetings,

Thank you for reporting this issue.  Do you run any other software that might install a WFP driver, such as a third party firewall, VPN/proxy, web filtering software, antivirus or anything like that in addition to Malwarebytes?  I ask because the Windows update might be causing an incompatibility with another WFP filter/driver to act up.  The list of applications in this support article are all known to have issues, but that list is far from comprehensive as I've seen many other apps that also had issues with Web Protection.

If you don't have any such apps installed, it may help to provide diagnostic logs for troubleshooting and replication purposes.  To do so, please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

• tetonbob changed the title to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20236

Thanks, could you also zip and attach these crash dumps from your recent GSOD?:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101420-4015-01.dmp  [created:10/14/2020  15:23]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101420-4515-01.dmp  [created:10/14/2020  16:49]
C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP                   [modified:10/14/2020  16:49]

They'll likely prove helpful to the Devs in troubleshooting the issue.  If they're too large to attach here, please try uploading them to WeTransfer.com.  To do so you'll first need to copy them to your desktop or another convenient location where you have full write access rather than the Windows folder, then select all 3 files and right-click one of them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder, or if you use an alternative archiving/compression utility such as WinRAR you can create the archive using that instead.  Once that's done, go to WeTransfer.com where I recommend clicking the No thanks button when prompted about allowing cookies from their advertisers after clicking I Agree to their terms of use in order to avoid tracking/targeted advertising etc.:

Cookies.png.73ae9301823b92cf2b1c1ac33e8dbeb0.png

Next, click the menu/settings button indicated by the ... with the circle around it as highlighted below then select Get transfer link rather than the default email option:

Settings.png.0a563a17cbf282387235dd46b82ffd42.png

Once the link option has been selected, click the ... settings button again to return to the previous menu and click the round blue and white + to browse to the location of the zipped memory dumps and upload them, then post the link to the download here once it's finished uploading.

Thanks

Edited by exile360
16 hours ago, Soozy said:

Windows 10 got build 20236 today and it broke Internet connection on 2 PC's.

Rolled back to 20231 and it was fine. Upgraded to 20236 again and was broken,

but this time gave me a tcpip.sys GSOD error. Searched for fixes and 1 of them was

Antivirus. Opened Malwarebytes and turned off Protections and Internet came back.

I narrowed it down to Web Protection only has to be off.

So if MBAM is removed does internet work?  I had issues and rolled back to 20231 for now but might try removing MBAM and see.

12 hours ago, exile360 said:

They'll likely prove helpful to the Devs in troubleshooting the issue.  If they're too large to attach here, please try uploading them to WeTransfer.com.  To do so you'll first need to copy them to your desktop or another convenient location where you have full write access rather than the Windows folder, then select all 3 files and right-click one of them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder, or if you use an alternative archiving/compression utility such as WinRAR you can create the archive using that instead.  Once that's done, go to WeTransfer.com where I recommend clicking the No thanks button when prompted about allowing cookies from their advertisers after clicking I Agree to their terms of use in order to avoid tracking/targeted advertising etc.:

Next, click the menu/settings button indicated by the ... with the circle around it as highlighted below then select Get transfer link rather than the default email option:

Once the link option has been selected, click the ... settings button again to return to the previous menu and click the round blue and white + to browse to the location of the zipped memory dumps and upload them, then post the link to the download here once it's finished uploading.

Thanks

101420-4015-01.dmp

12 hours ago, exile360 said:

Thanks

I hope I did this correctly. https://we.tl/t-eHwtzsIGfp

The minidump appears to be there, however the second archive within called 'MEMORY' appears to be empty.  Did you first copy the files to your desktop prior to attempting to add them to the ZIP folders?  If not, please do so as permissions will otherwise prevent you from doing so.  Even once copied, it's possible the files on the desktop may still retain restrictive permissions, and if that's the case, taking ownership of them may help.  To do that, the simplest method would be to add the Take Ownership context menu entry to explorer as described here, then right-click the copies of the memory dumps which you've placed on your desktop from their original locations and select Take Ownership, then click Yes to the User Account Control prompt, then send them to a ZIP folder once more and hopefully this time it works properly.

Edited by exile360
55 minutes ago, exile360 said:

The minidump appears to be there, however the second archive within called 'MEMORY' appears to be empty.  Did you first copy the files to your desktop prior to attempting to add them to the ZIP folders?  If not, please do so as permissions will otherwise prevent you from doing so.  Even once copied, it's possible the files on the desktop may still retain restrictive permissions, and if that's the case, taking ownership of them may help.  To do that, the simplest method would be to add the Take Ownership context menu entry to explorer as described here, then right-click the copies of the memory dumps which you've placed on your desktop from their original locations and select Take Ownership, then click [b}Yes[/b] to the User Account Control prompt, then send them to a ZIP folder once more and hopefully this time it works properly.

That was fun. LOL

Let's try this: https://we.tl/t-8th51hZ20M

Hello!

First, thanks to Soozy for posting about this, otherwise I would never have gotten back to Windows Insider Build 20236. Went crazy trying to fix the network thing until I gave up and went back to previous build. Then I saw Soozy's post looking for possible fixes. So kudos to you Soozy for figuring that part out about Malwarebytes web protection issues. I never thought about that lol. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! Thanks to those who paticipate here..Thanks to Exile360 for getting involved also.

• Like 1

Dammit,

I had to go back to build 20231 because I later on in the day got these 'Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap' Bluescreens' and more than once. I kind of doubt it's related to the Malwarebytes issue but you never know..20236 is an odd acting Insider Build version as far as my computer goes anyways.. Good Luck to those here sticking with this thread and this Windows 10 Insider Build 20236. I will still revisit this thread to read any more forthcoming posts! Stay Safe Folks!

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please note that this is an Insider Preview build which is not supported but we are investigating to see if there is something on our end that we can do to resolve this issue.

Thank you everyone

Was my minidump of any use?

I'm sorry but I don't have access to ongoing development testing. Often times updates to kernel level drivers can take weeks or more. It's not like going to McDonalds' and grabbing a burger in 2 minutes.

Thank you again everyone for the feedback and input. When and where we can provide updates we will.

10 minutes ago, Evergap said:

Dammit,

I had to go back to build 20231 because I later on in the day got these 'Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap' Bluescreens' and more than once. I kind of doubt it's related to the Malwarebytes issue but you never know..20236 is an odd acting Insider Build version as far as my computer goes anyways.. Good Luck to those here sticking with this thread and this Windows 10 Insider Build 20236. I will still revisit this thread to read any more forthcoming posts! Stay Safe Folks!

I was not running the Insider Preview myself but the following updates on the normal channel caused multiple issues that caused me to have to remove them and wait for updates again.

October 13, 2020—KB4579311 (OS Build 19041.572)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4579311/windows-10-update-kb4579311

October 13, 2020-KB4578968 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 , version 20H2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4578968/kb4578968-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

Sorry to read of the issues on these machines.   My view is that one factor needs to be at the center, as a demarcation point.

The specific version of Windows, as many of you have mentioned.  

Soozy was apparently on a Insider for 21H1   ....the 20236  build from October 16.

Ron meanwhile is apparently on Version 2004   19041.572

@Soozy   This is from a post today on Twitter by MS Windows Insider accounta

We are starting to roll out Cumulative Update Build 20236.1005 (KB4587587). This update does not contain new features and is designed to test our servicing pipeline. r

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I was not running the Insider Preview myself but the following updates on the normal channel caused multiple issues that caused me to have to remove them and wait for updates again.

October 13, 2020—KB4579311 (OS Build 19041.572)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4579311/windows-10-update-kb4579311

October 13, 2020-KB4578968 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 , version 20H2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4578968/kb4578968-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

Thanks AdvancedSetup for posting this, and I agree with you updates can cause issues, and not just the beta channels in Windows 10.

Thinking about the 'Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap' issue I had with Windows Insider Build 20236.. and for awhile the build worked until it didn't..is it possible that maybe when I changed a setting in the Malwarebytes Premium under the Security section, the Exploit Protection section there had 'Block Penetration Testing attacks' disabled. Well I enabled that setting and I think since I did that I got those Kernel Mode trap errors..hmm. Thats the only thing I can think of that I changed that may have cause issues. Is it possible? I should have left that disabled?