Mouse pointer unusable after temporarily disabling malwarebytes

My computer had been working perfectly and then I did the following

1) Installed Team viewer

2) Next say, switched off Malwarebytes Premium, I can't remember why, and I thought I had switched the protection options all back on, but may not have.

3) Visited some potentially dodgy websites in Fireox, but did NOT install any software

4) Next day, and since then the mouse pointer would periodically cease to update properly, lagged etc for 5 minutes at a time, particularly on startup and when using OBS and Blitzen chess program. On looking at the Task manager there didn't seem to be any undue CPU or network activity, just the pointer would cease to function or lag horribly and clicks would not be processed, particularly under stress of active apps. The mouse would be particularly lagging as it was moved over the icons on the task bar. Then after some time, it would seem to be almost normal again.

5) Malwarebytes informed me that the Realtime protection wasn't on, but when I went to look, it seemed to be on (I think)

About a month before the problem I had installed a piece of Beta software designed WIndows 10 only from Canon to make my Canon 250D camera act as a webcam, the software was not supposed to work with Windows 7, but it seemed to.

I have now uninstalled Team Viewer and the Canon software and nothing has changed.

I have checked the wireless mouse with another wireless mouse, using the same mouse dongle, and both mice were affected.

I have started been using OBS a lot in the last 3 weeks and that seems to aggravate the appearance of the problem, as does beginning an online game of chess.

Also at exactly the same time as all this, I decided to open a port on my router and mapped port 8080, to port 80 on my machine, but I don't have anything on my machine to respond to port 80, and I have subsequently closed the port and there has been no difference, additionally at the same time I opened port 80 in my windows 7 firewall. I have closed this as well and there has been no change. I have not run or installed any software to use port 80.

Alas I stupidly switched off the system restore a year ago for reasons I can't recall, so I don't have a recent restore point.

The machine becomes almost unusable when the problem occurs, which is quite often on startup or changing logon.

I am suspicious that as I hadn't changed much on machine I have acquired some sort of malware that passed malwarebytes as a result of me disabling it for a day.

I can't see how anything I have done other than messing around with ports, which I have subsequently closed can have had a deleterious affect on my machine, unless the visit to some semi-dodgy website had an effect.

Please help I am going nuts.

FRST.txt last Malwarebytes scan log.txt Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @Interactive

Well, the best thing you could do for your computer is remove Bifrost, qbtorrent, and similar P2P programs. But that aside we'll see what we can do to clean it up some.

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following software. It is old and compromised.

Java 8 Update 161

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Bifrost is not a p2p program, it is a 3D rendering element. https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-maya-blog/introducing-bifrost-for-maya/

Apologies about the qtorrent, I hadn't realised I had that installed and I am not sure I have ever used it. I must have installed it a long time ago.

I uninstalled qbtorrent. I then ran the fix, and after I ran the fix, I then uninstalled the Java 8 update 161, apologies for not doing that in the right order.

After rebooting, I suffered the mouse pointer problem again for a short period, and it took many minutes to be able to type into the reply in this dialogue, which seemed to be a Firefox issue, the top bar in this reply field didn't appear.

I include the fixlog.txt file below.

Apologies again about the qbtorrent, and thanks hugely for replying to my issue so speedily.

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

My apologies I was thinking of Frostwire for P2P

Do you experience this issue in any other browser or just Firefox?

Click on Help -> Troubleshooting Information

Try clearing the startup cache

Try Safe Mode

Let me know if either of those options helps with the issue or not

Oh, and my computer has a history of sound problems, which were semi-resolved by installing up to date drivers. Playing lots of sound files and youtube used to cause the sound to disappear completely which could only be helped by removing and reinstering my speaker jack, but often required a complete reboot.

Wow! I was having terrible trouble replying to you, the reply box simply would not appear with the control bar with the text and other options in the top. Then I did as you suggested and cleared the startup cache and suddenly everything was wonderful.

I may or may not be jumping the gun, but the mouse seems to be behaving as well. I can now pass over all the icons in the task bar and the mouse doesn't pause at all.

I did try quitting the Malware window (I couldn't find an "exit" option as well) but it didn't seem to make a difference, but then my mouse wasn't misbehaving particularly, so I relaunched Malwarebytes because I was worried that it wouldn't be doing its job if I had quit it.

I will do more checks tomorrow and see if the mouse continues to behave for a day. I have had many other false hopes raised before after I have uninstalled stuff, only for the problem to return. Thanks again, and I will post tomorrow as to whether the problem still exists or has been fixed.

• Root Admin

Again, there is also the option to temporarily start Firefox with all the extensions disabled. That too can help you decide if maybe you need to trim down on your extensions, or possibly remove them and reinstall them. Sometimes removing and reinstalling Extensions helps too.

I'll check back on you again tomorrow then

Cheers

Well everything seemed fine for two hours this morning, then I perhaps did something I shouldn't

1) I re-installed the Canon software to communicate with my camera

2) I installed Zoom.

The witin 20 minutes I had problems again, although not as serious as before. I then cleaned Firefox further and uninstalled the Canon software.

I also stopped the WIn7 update system, currently I get an MS update for my win7 system EVERY DAY for the last six months or so! I can't believe this is right, so I stopped it today in case the network access of the update system was provoking something.

At times everything was fine, but gradually things deteriorated again, although not as bad as it has been.

It seems to be much improved now, but it is intermittently bad. I tried closing the MalwareBytes tray but that didn't make a difference.

My computer is just about usuable for most of the time and on occasions it is fine and I can move the mouse over the taskbar icons without the mouse pointer seizing. It is not really in a satisfactory, I have now had the problem for over a week is there anything else I can do? Is some of the hardware failing? Drivers? Virus?

Thanks again for helping to improve the situation at least, I would just like a functional system.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Interactive said:

I would just like a functional system.

Format the drive and install Widows 10 😁

Okay let's actually do the opposite. Let's get Windows fully updated and export your bookmarks and take a screenshot of your current Firefox extensions. Then we'll look at doing a clean removal of Firefox and get it back into shape.

Let me look up some information and get back to you

• Root Admin

Hi @Interactive

Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020 from Microsoft
If you're going to remain on Windows 7 a bit longer then please try to download the following and get Windows up to date

How to obtain and install Windows 7 SP2
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-obtain-and-install-windows-7-sp2/c2c7009f-3a10-4199-9c89-48e1e883051e

Prerequistes

Before installing the convenience update, make sure:

You are running Windows 7 SP1
    You have at least 5 GB of free space available on your system disk
    You have installed KB3020369 (download links below)

KB3020369 for x64 systems
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

KB3020369 for x32 systems
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827

2. Download

Once the prerequisites are met, you can download the convenience update from the links below.

Update for x64 systems (477 MB)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

Update for x32 systems (316 MB)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86_ba1ff5537312561795cc04db0b02fbb0a74b2cbd.msu

Once you have all the updates for Windows 7 then review the following to enable TLS 1.2

How do I enable TLS 1.2 on Windows 7
https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/3008/How-do-I-enable-TLS-1-2-on-Windows-7.html

Once all of that is done or if you have questions please let me know

Thanks

Thanks so much for the advice.

I will get a new computer with Windows 10 before long, but I don't want to upgrade this computer as I fear I would need to upgrade some very expensive software and great expense.

I have had a horrible headache for most of the latter part of today, so I haven't been able to use my computer much. I will do as you suggest tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks