Win10 slowdown(/gremlins, probably) remain after scan

Ahvrym
Go to solution Solved by kevinf80,

I was an idiot and downloaded a game off a torrent site last night and my laptop has been plagued with massive slowdown since then (definitely not trying that again). I started off at that point with windows defender as my sole protection but have since picked up and ran through both malwarebytes and roguekiller (Malwarebytes found 'Soundbass' which it labeled as a trojan bitcoin-miner, roguekiller isolated unpacker.exe in AppData\Roaming\Unpacker which it also said was a trojan). I think that helped but there's definitely still something funky happening :/ There's still slowdown and when I've tried to do a new scan on malwarebytes today, after 10 minutes it still isn't getting past the 'update' section of the scan.

Addition.txt FRST.txt Malwarebytes threat scan.txt

Hello Ahvrym and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Do not see any obvious Malware or Infection in logs from FRST, run the following scan please:

Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.

If your security alerts to this scan either accept the alert or turn off your security to allow Sophos to run and complete.....

Please Do Not use your PC whilst the scan is in progress.... This scan is very thorough so may take several hours...

• Double click the icon and select Run
  • Click Next
  • Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice
  • Click Install
  • Click Finish to launch the program
  • Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning
  • If any threats are found click Details, then View log file... (bottom left hand corner)
  • Copy and paste the results in your reply
  • Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup
  • Click Exit to close the program
  • If no threats were found please confirm that result....

The Virus Removal Tool scans the following areas of your computer:
  • Memory, including system memory on 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows
  • The Windows registry
  • All local hard drives, fixed and removable
  • Mapped network drives are not scanned.

Note: If threats are found in the computer memory, the scan stops. This is because further scanning could enable the threat to spread. You will be asked to click Start Cleanup to remove the threats before continuing the scan.

Saved logs are found here: C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Virus Removal Tool\Logs

Thank you,

Kevin

Thank you so very much for your time and attention! If you have any further suggestions to triple check I'd be happy to follow them but if after these scans you think I've got a clean bill of health I'm happy to keep an eye out but assume we're clean right now.

• Like 1

• Solution

Hello Ahvrym,

Good to hear your system is ok for you, continue to clean up:

Uninstall the following program:

Sophos AV

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using-3rd-party-software/

Also delete this folder if still present: C:\ProgramData\Sophos

Next,

Right click on FRST here: C:\Users\Matthew\Desktop\FRST64.exe and rename uninstall.exe when complete right click on uninstall.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

If you do not see the .exe appended that is because file extensions are hidden, in that case just rename FRST64 to uninstall

That action will remove FRST and all created files and folders...

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin...

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you