I am super pissed off at Malwarebytes right now.

I get home and there is a message claiming that Malware-bytes requires a reboot for an update to happen.   I trust that it's just an malwarebyte update and I reboot.   but no.. Malwarebytes has taken upon themselves to update my windows through window updates.  I had this turned off for a reason.   yes, I know there were updates I didn't have installed.  I was using software that will not work with these updates installed on window 7 professional.   The software is not available anymore so Window 10 is out of the question.  This makes it impossible to now use the tools I needed for my job.   Do not assume that you know best when it comes to updates!   Now I have to completely redo my PC before I can continue working.   yes, I am angry...   I am angry that there is no malwarebytes programmer sitting in the chair across from me to hear me vent!   I'm going to sleep on this and decide whether I want my money back and this software off my machine.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 minute ago, doran said:

I get home and there is a message claiming that Malware-bytes requires a reboot for an update to happen.   I trust that it's just an malwarebyte update and I reboot.   but no.. Malwarebytes has taken upon themselves to update my windows through window updates. 

Malwarebytes or the  Malwarebytes software has absolutely no control over Windows updates what so ever.

• Thanks 1

Greetings,

Malwarebytes doesn't change any Windows Update settings when it requires a reboot to install an update, however if Windows Update had pending updates that it had downloaded/installed and the system was restarted by a Malwarebytes update, Windows Update would have then processed/completed the installation of the pending Windows Updates so it is possible this is what happened on your system.

With that said, you should be able to use System Restore to recover your system to just prior to the Windows Updates being installed, as restore points are created by default whenever a Windows Update is installed to allow recovery in case the update caused an issue.

• Thanks 1

If you would, please provide the scan log from the incident.  I would like to see what Malwarebytes detected in case it somehow did change any of your settings.  It shouldn't have, however maybe there was some kind of issue with a signature for a registry entry/setting that may have caused it.  I'm also wondering how you have disabled Windows Updates, because some methods may be overridden by Windows itself under certain conditions (an issue I've encountered myself in the past, having been a longtime 7 user previously and having deliberately blocked certain updates from installing due to the telemetry/spyware they contained).  If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and disabled it via GP then Windows should not have overridden it, however if you used the Windows Update interface/settings itself or the registry, then it is possible for it to be altered under certain circumstances (including installing any of Microsoft's apps such as Skype, MS Office, Microsoft Security Essentials etc.) as such apps typically try to enable the 'Microsoft Update' feature/component to update MS apps in addition to Windows itself, which automatically turns Windows Updates back to automatic, causing it to immediately download and install any pending updates which you have not deliberately hidden manually via the Windows Update interface (and Microsoft also likes to reissue their more undesirable updates (such as those I mentioned with telemetry components and the like included in them) so that users who have previously hidden them will be offered the same updates again and again over time).

Hello @doran

Regret the trouble on this machine,   Please do not rush to anything. 

Note:  You should set the display options on File Explorer to Show all files

What follows is a first step to have Windows 10 show all files and folder. Do not let this spook you out.

If on Windows 10,  There is a how-to at Tenforums. Use either option one or two or three

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

It would be good to simply gather a report using the Malwarebytes support tool  & attach the ZIP file in your next new reply here.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

That report will be multi-fold, it can show the last Malwarebytes 'update / setup log'   as well as the status of Malwarebytes' configuration.

It will also help to see the actual version of Windows now on this machine.

Dont rush to do anything on your own.   Just know that there are at least 2 ways to get this Windows back to its prior Version.

It would also be great to look for and find the Microsoft log to see about what Windows did on any Version update.

My initial question would be to inquire,  in the past 2 or so recent days, did anyone visit any special Microsoft site and select some sort of action ?

and,

Perhaps you can  relay one or more of any logs listed on this Microsoft article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927521/windows-vista-windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-windows-8-1-and-windows

Like my colleagues who have replied, and having many many years of experience with all consumer versions of Malwarebytes,  it just does not have any direct relation to Windows versions updates.   Also mystifying, is how any automatic update could happen without any sort of consent or agreement,  could get Windows 7 jumped to Windows 10 ?

This is where the Microsoft logs would be  interesting, very  especially to Microsoft

PS.  Double check real close the YEAR setting on the Windows system Clock  on the Taskbar.

One wonders if it is at all possible,  in some very off chance, that the ancient Get-Windows-10  applet from years ago, that used to sit on Windows 7, somehow would trigger a run to a OS version upgrade check.   That is wild off-the-mainstream theorizing.

Edited by Maurice Naggar