Jump to content

Is the iOS app still actively developed and supported?


Recommended Posts

It's been 8 months since the last update to the iOS app so I'm wondering if it's still actively under development. 

Also, is the Ad block and Web block definitions still being updated and downloaded to the app? The app doesn't show the version number of the definitions so I have no idea if it's being updated.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not heard anything about it being discontinued so I assume it is still being actively developed and updated, though all I have to go on is the info in the product lifecycle page here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039022973-Malwarebytes-for-iOS-Product-Lifecycle

A member of the staff may post to clarify, so I concede to their first-hand knowledge, but as far as I know, it is still active.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Steve1982

The current Beta version is 1.4.5 released on 11 August 2020 expiring on 09 November 2020. I am not aware of the stable version


The definitions are:

  • Call Protection 1.0.2020100923 (dated 09/10/2020)
  • Web Protection 1.0.2020100923 (dated 09/10/2020)
  • AdBlocker 1.0.2020100717 (dated 07/10/2020)

I hope it will be useful to you

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

@Steve1982

The current Beta version is 1.4.5 released on 11 August 2020 expiring on 09 November 2020. I am not aware of the stable version


The definitions are:

  • Call Protection 1.0.2020100923 (dated 09/10/2020)
  • Web Protection 1.0.2020100923 (dated 09/10/2020)
  • AdBlocker 1.0.2020100717 (dated 07/10/2020)

I hope it will be useful to you

Thank you @MAXBAR1, this information is very useful indeed!

I discovered I can view the definition versions by going to Help and clicking the "i" icon in the top left corner. My definitions were way out of date:

  • Call Protection 1.0.2020012303
  • Web Protection 1.0.2020012306
  • AdBlocker 1.0.2019121910

I assume these are the definitions that get installed with the app since the dates line up with the release date of the last version of the iOS app. Since I installed the app about 3 days ago I wasn't sure if I just needed to wait a little longer for it to check for definition updates (although surely at least one definition update check after installing the app is appropriate) or if something else was wrong. Thankfully later that day when I checked again I had the latest definitions. One thing I did in-between was connect to my WiFi network (which I almost never do) so maybe that's the issue. 

Hopefully one of the devs will chime to explain what is required for the updates to work, and how often the app checks for new updates. Also, it would be great if there was a manual "Check for Definition Updates" button.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To manually check for definition updates, click on the circle arrow in the app home.

To be updated automatically, it must be open in the background (background app update active for Malwarebytes) and connected to the Wi-Fi network.

If the app is closed and you are connected to Wi-Fi, opening it automatically updates the definitions

These instructions come from what I understand from various discussions on the subject here on the forum and from my own experience. If there are any errors I ask a staff member to correct them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense that it may require wi-fi since they probably don't want to use up users' potentially limited (and often quite expensive) data via the cell network, so that's likely the reason it isn't updating when not connected to wi-fi; it's also possible that some phones/phone operating systems are set to restrict apps from updating/using data unless connected to wi-fi to avoid abuse of users' available data to avoid surprise data usage/charges on their phone bills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

To manually check for definition updates, click on the circle arrow in the app home.

Thanks again!! At first I looked and looked and couldn't find a circle arrow button on the home page. However, on a fresh install there's a big "First 30 Days Free, Upgrade to Premium" banner on the home page so I figured I might have to activate Premium to see the button and sure enough, once I activated Premium the banner went away and was replaced with another banner that had the circle arrow manual update check button. 

So some suggestions to the devs ... The onboarding/first run user experience needs a little work IMHO. I was about to uninstall the app and it's only because I decided to ask about the definitions on the forum that I realized that (a) the definitions are still being updated by Malwarebytes, (b) the definitions are being pushed to the app but you need to be on WiFi, and (c) that there's a manual way to update the definitions but you have to enroll in the Premium trial to see it. I also thinks it's important to allow the user to select if they want to update using their mobile data as well as WiFi. I almost never connect to WiFi these days (usually only when I have to update iOS). Other than that I'm really liking the app so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve1982 said:

So some suggestions to the devs ... The onboarding/first run user experience needs a little work IMHO. I was about to uninstall the app and it's only because I decided to ask about the definitions on the forum that I realized that (a) the definitions are still being updated by Malwarebytes, (b) the definitions are being pushed to the app but you need to be on WiFi, and (c) that there's a manual way to update the definitions but you have to enroll in the Premium trial to see it. I also thinks it's important to allow the user to select if they want to update using their mobile data as well as WiFi. I almost never connect to WiFi these days (usually only when I have to update iOS). Other than that I'm really liking the app so far.

Thanks for the comments, I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to the team for consideration.  If you have any further issues, questions, or comments please let us know.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.